What's the deal with AD Kog'maw?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ten Inch Rooster

02-14-2013

I'm one of those people that tends to watch the trends of champion popularity and I've noticed over say the past 6 months that Kog'maw has been steadily plinking his way down the ladder of popularity. I very rarely see him (confirmed by his popularity %) and he's seen even less than Twitch now (but still way ahead of Urgot) officially. I can't remember any huge detriment to his kit except the removal of Bloodrazor which was a popular synergy item for him. With the rise of the Warmog's meta I would think Kog'maw's % based bonus damage would be in significantly higher demand. Anyone care to share theories on what's happening to this poor little spitter?

ImTuyet

02-14-2013

Most people can't handle his early game, especially in the league of Draven/MF/Caitlyn, Kog Maw is kind of weak to proceed to his hyper-carry late game.

Vencu

02-14-2013

eehhhhhh anyone that used MBR on him was meh anyways.

But as imtuyet said his early game is so bad, that with the rise of lane bullies such as draven/mf/cait he gets destroyed

Vuther

02-14-2013

He takes time to farm, coordination and peeling to be a valuable carry.

Only tournament teams reliably have these.

Feefeekiller

02-14-2013

I could see him making a come-back. His % damage would help him shred the League of Warmogs

RayDrazon

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Inch Rooster View Post
I'm one of those people that tends to watch the trends of champion popularity and I've noticed over say the past 6 months that Kog'maw has been steadily plinking his way down the ladder of popularity. I very rarely see him (confirmed by his popularity %) and he's seen even less than Twitch now (but still way ahead of Urgot) officially. I can't remember any huge detriment to his kit except the removal of Bloodrazor which was a popular synergy item for him. With the rise of the Warmog's meta I would think Kog'maw's % based bonus damage would be in significantly higher demand. Anyone care to share theories on what's happening to this poor little spitter?
It's actually relatively simple: He's almost only ever used in teams

The reason being that he has a harsh laning phase. People in Solo Queue don't know that Kog'Maw needs a massive amount of protection in order to stay alive. IMO, they just play champions that they want to play.

In team fights, everyone focuses the ADC and Kog'Maw, having no escapes, is especially reliant on his team to peel enemies off of him. Players in Solo Queue don't know that or don't bother to pick champions that synergize well with Kog'Maw. As a result, he is often shut down early-mid game before reaching his 1vs5 potential late game. That's why he's not played often in Solo Queue, resulting in a lower popularity.

However, he is still used in competitive play in tournaments so that should count as something. He's not UP or OP. He's just EXTREMELY team-reliant which almost automatically excludes Solo Queue players out of the equation.

That's my reasoning.