Oribital Strikes for Team Captains

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lolenforcer

02-14-2013

Basically what I am suggesting is that on summoners rift each of the team captains should be allowed to have one time use "orbital strike" (an global attack that does 200 damage and is the size of gangplanks ult- however it ONLY DAMAGES CHAMPIONS) and also a one time use "airborne recon" (like clairvoyance, but only allowed to be used once, and shows a wider area including stealthed units.)

These two special summoner spells would be castable by the highest elo on each team (team captains) only ONE time the entire game. Basically, I think this needs to happen for a couple reasons.

For one, team captains are supposed to be leaders. This will make them more important in the actual game.
For two, it will not unbalance the game.
For three, it would add an additional tactical layer to the game.
For four, it is not fair that at certain times you are caught with a dying ward or you are unable to respond to a situation because you were doing something else you team needed. Now I am not saying that this should be the case EVERY-TIME but I think that each team should have two capabilities usable by the team leader to correct wrongs the team has committed but wants to use a "lifeline" to fix.

Thank you for reading,
suggestions welcome.

Also any riot posters I thank you ahead of time for looking at this

Supporter List:
soccerstud25
Jacko333
OoziHobo
Phizzwiggle3
ROKAF JE

M1ST4K3N

02-14-2013

1) Orbital Strike would reduce the effectiveness of characters with global ults like Gangplank, Karthus, TF, and Pantheon.

2) Team captains are capable of being trolls too. What if you get a jackoff-of a team captain who uses both spells immediately? Then your team is at a distinct disadvantage the rest of the game.

3) This could shift team fights entirely in one team's favor. Imagine your team is hiding in a bush, which you made sure was cleared of wards, trying to bait the enemy into attacking you. Then all of a sudden, Airborne recon is cast, they see you, you get hit by a malph ult or a mummy ult, orbital strike is cast, and immediately your team is down 200 health and into a team fight that you had worked to get positioning for.

4) Part of the game is knowing timers. If you've ever watched pro streams, you'd see them say things like drag xx:xx and OB xx:xx. If you're good you will know about when your wards are about to run out. If I'm a support and I know my ward has 60 seconds left and I don't have any more to take its place, I'm backing so that we aren't fighting blind.

5) Another HUGE part of the game is positioning. If you see the enemy jungler or ADC in bottom lane, your team may try to sneak a quick baron. It's all about map awareness and knowing where you should be when.

If something like this were to be implemented, it would need to be through a "team shop" where your team could purchase these upgrades for one member of your team to use. This way, no team is given a distinct advantage (because it would be taking away part of your in game currency), it would foster greater team work, one player couldn't get the summoner spells and troll with them, and players could choose what they wanted.

At any rate, I don't see this change in the near future. This would be a HUGE change to the current game, and would require all kinds of balancing, testing, and reworks.

lolenforcer

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerstud25 View Post
1) Orbital Strike would reduce the effectiveness of characters with global ults like Gangplank, Karthus, TF, and Pantheon.

2) Team captains are capable of being trolls too. What if you get a jackoff-of a team captain who uses both spells immediately? Then your team is at a distinct disadvantage the rest of the game.

3) This could shift team fights entirely in one team's favor. Imagine your team is hiding in a bush, which you made sure was cleared of wards, trying to bait the enemy into attacking you. Then all of a sudden, Airborne recon is cast, they see you, you get hit by a malph ult or a mummy ult, orbital strike is cast, and immediately your team is down 200 health and into a team fight that you had worked to get positioning for.

4) Part of the game is knowing timers. If you've ever watched pro streams, you'd see them say things like drag xx:xx and OB xx:xx. If you're good you will know about when your wards are about to run out. If I'm a support and I know my ward has 60 seconds left and I don't have any more to take its place, I'm backing so that we aren't fighting blind.

5) Another HUGE part of the game is positioning. If you see the enemy jungler or ADC in bottom lane, your team may try to sneak a quick baron. It's all about map awareness and knowing where you should be when.

If something like this were to be implemented, it would need to be through a "team shop" where your team could purchase these upgrades for one member of your team to use. This way, no team is given a distinct advantage (because it would be taking away part of your in game currency), it would foster greater team work, one player couldn't get the summoner spells and troll with them, and players could choose what they wanted.

At any rate, I don't see this change in the near future. This would be a HUGE change to the current game, and would require all kinds of balancing, testing, and reworks.
1. No it would not affect them that much because their ults recharge fast, do more damage, can hurt monsters/teleport themselves, and provide numerous other effects such as slow. Every characterful would be effected equally. It is also only a one time use.

2. Trolls can abuse any feature in a game. I merely wanted team captains, who have "highest" elo and therefore a disadvantage because in all likelihood they have a bigger amount of elo slated to be "lost" than "gained" due to the nature of the matchmaking system, to have these two "lifeline tools" at their hands to balance out the fact that they have the most to lose from the game.

3. Yes, I see the problem, but orbital strike could scale with the game like Smite does. And clairvoyance is already a spell. This is a one time use clairvoyance, it would be visible that you are being seen like clairvoyance as well.

4. Yes, but the goal here is that sometimes you are team captain and you have more pressing matters than wards. Why not these two easy lifelines?

5. I understand this, but it a one-time use and could only be used to stop ONE thing. Both teams have it and both teams know the enemy has one. So it is tactically fair. The team captains higher elo with more to lose is being balanced out here.

Jacko333

02-14-2013

Out of the four points you illustrate i only like the first. I like the idea of a captain for the team but i also see people saying "stfu i do what i want" and causing more issues.
However your fourth point presents an issue.
It is entirely fair if the enemy team sneaks by because a ward has died (should have kept up with it and been ready to replace). Maybe they'd seen you place the ward and timed it, or maybe they just got lucky. It's one of those mechanisms that makes league what it is. Why change it? Also if you're not in position to deal with a situation thats the enemy team capitalising on your mistake. They shouldnt be punished in anyway because your team is out of position on the map that is players mistake.
League is all about plays, tactical moves that gain your team an advantage and eventually secure the win. As it stands there are plenty of ways to ensure your team has constant or near constant awareness of the enemy and any objects they may want to take and there are plenty of ways for the enemy to work around that.
Adding this kind of gimic wouldnt really add anything to the game. It would just cheapen it.
Besides i'd rather choose ignite over this orbital thing that only does a total 1000 damage over all enemies when i can ignite many times a game to change the balance of a fight in my favour or secure a kill. Or i'd rather pick clairvoyance to use over and over over just the once.
Even if both teams got these abilities how pissed would you be if your leader used yours horribly then the enemy team used theirs and it clearly gave them the win. I know i'd be pissed. If this mechanic was in the game from day one maybe it would be accepted but adding it in now would change too much.

OoziHobo

02-14-2013

Guy just needs to keep playing 40k.

Delete Teemo

02-14-2013

huge amounts of work for minimal gameplay. This would require tons of coding and we'd only get to use them once. Not to mention orbital strike is gamebreaking op for a level one invade and useless at later levels. Recon is basically CV. But cv is better because it can be used more than once per game. I'd rather have Riot's manpower doing a thousand other things than this.

ROKAF JE

02-14-2013

LoL isn't Planetside.

Edit: I'm not a supporter, take my name off that.
You earned a down vote.

lolenforcer

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizzwiggle3 View Post
huge amounts of work for minimal gameplay. This would require tons of coding and we'd only get to use them once. Not to mention orbital strike is gamebreaking op for a level one invade and useless at later levels. Recon is basically CV. But cv is better because it can be used more than once per game. I'd rather have Riot's manpower doing a thousand other things than this.
We can make it scale with levels so it is not game breaking.

Delete Teemo

02-16-2013

still would rather have karma rework

Shadow Wolf 47

02-16-2013

I think Gangplank copyrighted his ulti sorry