Until Riot selectively alters champs for Dominion, the game will never be balanced.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Atahl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-14-2013

It's a simple concept, and deserves some looking into. Champions with abilities or effects which are, by and large, FAR too strong for this map, will always continue to be that way unless those abilities were changed to be less offensive. It's the nature of having two maps with two different sorts of gameplay.

To list a few offenders (I.E. Abilities or things which are too strong, and will continue to be too strong unless nerfed to the ground)

1.) Assassins in general. Lets hit the head of the beast and call it out right now. Kassadin, Fizz, Talon, Akali, Pantheon, Kha'Zix. If the champion has the assassin tag, they're likey "Strong" or "OP" simply by definition. If you fix this issue, you break them on Summoner's Rift. It can't be done otherwise.

2.) Mobility in general. This is why champions like Rammus, Nidalee, Kass, and Kha specifically are as strong as they are. Refreshing leap? low cooldown pounce? low cooldown flash? High-speed steroid? On a map where you need to defend points from enemy attackers, being able to get from A to B fast is paramount - and this sort of ability is HIGHLY valuable in dominion.

3.) Pantheon's Aegis - for a more specific example, at least. Why Aegis? Well, consider why they removed Banshee's Veil - "One spell can be the difference between a win or a loss in a fight, it was too strong so we replaced it with Odyns".

4.) Carries - for an example of what's too weak. Riot toned down gold gain to slow games down a bit, but all that did was take the already shaky viability of carries and mages and toss it in the dumpster. Carries already have a weak early game, and with the scaling changes to Carry items with the S3 patch, by the time they have a full build, they're only moderately stronger than the other champs around. And that's assuming they don't get instagibbed by one of the other teams three fully-geared assassins. And even if they make a noteworthy impact, there's maybe five minutes left at most to leverage it - not nearly enough usually to turn things around.

I could go on but this is already quite lengthy. I don't know how or if Riot will ever address this (the problems extend FAR beyond what I've covered, but this is just for the concept. Teemo's mushrooms, super long range poke, mages in general all fall under this category too.)

Anyone else agree?

TL;DR unless Riot uses exclusive balance changes for Dominion per champion or per role, Dominion will never be balanced.

Redeemed In Fire

02-14-2013

In general he's correct, though his specific cases suck (Banshees was removed because it would be near useless and take too long to refresh; assassins are strong but have plenty of counters; most ADCs and mages are fine). Sad thing is it's just not going to happen.

FDru

02-14-2013

Who is Riot going to ask for balance advice? They don't play Dominion, and the high end players have a completely different view of the game than the other 95% of the playerbase.

IronErro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-14-2013

I think they've mentioned why this hasn't been done yet. And I believe it came down to, too much information to memorize and people could easily get confused. The same champ could end up being completely different between SR and dominion. They don't want people to have to deal with that and it makes a lot of sense.

DSpyder

02-14-2013

In what way of banshee's useless? Free dmg or CC negation every 25 seconds sounds useful to me.

Koravel

02-14-2013

While your specific examples are not exactly the best, I believe that I have come to the same conclusion. There is simply too much variance in the maps. Certain champions need to have handicaps/helping hands on dominion that don't need them on SR.

Torkable

02-14-2013

Super profound stuff in this thread. +1

MyDeadGrandma

02-14-2013

They've selectively developed and altered heroes, items, masteries, summoner spells and runes for summoners rift and it isn't balanced.

Food for thought.