Champion Sneak Peek: Lilith, the Third Way

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thaenor

02-14-2013

This will be my debut in the FFF, I've got some other stuff floating around the other forums, but I'll get a compilation thread on here and GD, and do some bumping tomorrow. In the mean time, please enjoy, and leave feedback

Without further ado:

My daughter… My little girl… My love. I’ve failed you. You died for her, died for us both, and I couldn’t keep her safe.

I have given everything for this world. My home, my humanity. The ones that I have loved. I cannot turn back now. These sacrifices; sanity, peace of mind, family, they must not be in vain. If I do not bear this cross, then all of Valoran will.

The Prophet, he knows not what he dabbles in. The voices destroyed his mind long before they brought him to that accursed place. Not like me. I knew exactly what I saw.

The images are still burned into my mind. Those horrific streets, a world not of evil, but chaos. Hate, bloodlust, these can be overcome, because there is reason behind them. Not pandemonium. We cannot fight madness, because we cannot understand it. That place, the terror of it is that it is insane. Death is a comfort in Icathia. Death is real, it makes sense, and it is comprehensible.

How foolish was I! To leave our home, so happy, and warm. Disconsolate in the consolation of security: I was an academic, I taught and spoke and thought, and I fed my family with the fruits of my intellect. I had you, and our daughter. Why was that not enough?

But I left, and I pursued my own destruction with reckless abandon. And then I found what I found, and I saw what I saw. And I took that hateful power into myself, out of the will to survive, the reflexive need to defend myself, to order the world around me in the only way I could.

That was not my greatest shame. My failure, the zenith of my self-righteousness, the one instant where I gave into insanity was this: that I swore that it would never reach you, or our baby. How, after all that I had witnessed, could I make such an oath? How could I temp such as cruel mistress as fate with those words?

You know the rest, dearest to my heart. I returned from that place, though I did not know the way. I found you, and I seemed the same. But the past had changed me. I could not bear anything that I could not understand. Any reminder of that terrible Void, even the tiniest irrationality and the power within me would lash out. So degenerate did I grow, that finally I could not see why you remained with as wretched a creature as I. At that thought my power manifested in full.

Ah, my darkest hour! The lowest I have fallen, even deeper than the pits of darkness they call the mythic city. What could I do? With my own hands I sought to strike you down, your only crime loving a ruined man like me. And your sacrifice, so sublime in the face of the darkness I had become. I still see your last breath, sheltering our daughter from my outburst. It was all I could do, the smallest triumph left to me, to flee; to separate her from what I had become, to shelter her from the darkness and pray it was enough. I couldn’t ensure a proper burial for you. I couldn’t even kiss her goodbye.

Our daughter. Oh, my love, how she looked like you! And now I’ve lost her as well. But this is not the end, I refuse it. And so I’ve come to the desert, back to the hateful place where this all began. If she is in a place that I can reach, it will be here. The gates approach, my path is true, after all these years. How pathetic, that my only true accomplishment to date has been finding these condemnable walls again.

Something is different, this time though. I feel it in the air. Who is that waiting at the entrance? Could it be? Dare I hope? Is there any way that she can be saved? That she has not given in, nor been devoured? If so, perhaps there is some hope for this pitiful man. I swear, my dearest, from here I will make things right. Just let her be safe. Let her still be our little girl.

“Lilith… Lily? Is that you?”

Thaenor

02-14-2013

Obligatory red bait for feedback:

@IronStylus
@RiotRunaan
@Lore Department

Roit pls

Thaenor

02-15-2013

Crawling down the page, guess I'll bump again...

Feedback anyone? Criticism? Thoughts on mechanics or skills?