Is there something wrong with me or Riot's matchmaking system?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coolh4x0r

02-13-2013

So lately, i've noticed i go on a long loss streak, and then a long win streak. and when i'm on a win streak, i don't lose. I went 2/11/0 once on a win streak and kept on winning. But if i'm on a lose streak, i can't win. Not even when i play one of my mains. see, here is my match history, and most of it is losses. however, you can see i won two games today, and i predict this will turn into a streak. (btw that MF game i won 3 days ago was a losing game until i got a penta at the baron; my first penta i might add :P) so does riot's matchmaking match you up with a bunch of good people after a win streak, who stomp you into the ground. Then since you`re in the ground, you're paired with ``meh`` players, which give you a win streak and then it repeats. i`m posting this because it`s quite depressing when you lose 8 games in a row, and winning 8 games in a row doesn`t make up for it.

tl:dr
does riot`s matchmaking system intentionally make us go on win or lose streaks or are my skills at League like a bipolar personality?

Murkr0w

02-13-2013

I doubt it. However, I've gone from long losing streaks to long winning streaks in both normals and ranked. My opinion is that if you're on a long losing streak, just stop playing for that day, or for a few days and try it again.

Coolh4x0r

02-13-2013

yeah that what all the other "loss streak" threads say, but it doesn't seem to work for me. i have to lose 6-8 games to get off a loss streak. doesn't matter if the losses are in one day or over a month, i need quite a few losses to get off the streak.

Murkr0w

02-13-2013

Hmm, well, what times do you play? I seem to have the best results early morning and early afternoon (8Am - 3Pm). Which works for because I made sure that all my classes started after 11 this semester (as a gift for always having 9 am classes). I tend to stomp during those games, and then during the afternoon, my team gets stomped. Go figure.

Coolh4x0r

02-13-2013

mostly at night. i'm in high school so i have class from 8 to 3 and homework until 8ish (including dinner). So sadly, i can't play in the morning

laxjoh

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolh4x0r View Post
mostly at night. i'm in high school so i have class from 8 to 3 and homework until 8ish (including dinner). So sadly, i can't play in the morning
You just have to keep playing and get better. Some people start amazing, others not so much. When I first started playing this game, I was horrendous. I still suck and I have much to improve and I just got to Silver V.

The true "game" for League of Legends honestly start after you turn level 30 and even then you must play hundreds of games to start playing it adequately. Like I said, some are much faster at picking it up. The best way to get better is to continue playing, download LOL Replay and watch the recording of your games and see what you could have done better.

Once you play few hundred games in normal 5v5 draft, you will just begin to pick things up if you are actively trying to get better at this game.

Murkr0w

02-13-2013

Ah, you're on level 22. I thought you were talking about ranked. You still have a lot of time to improve (I'm also assuming you're not a smurf, meaning a new account started by a player with a "main" account). Where you are now probably isn't going to be much like games at lvl 30, since junglers won't have as many runes or masteries and it's going to be hard to convince someone at that level to support in bot lane, let alone do it well. My advice for you is to pick a few champions and learn them well.

Good, strong champions to pick up are: Caitlyn, Ryze, Taric (learning when to engage and when not to engage takes a lot of practice and calculation on the support's side), Cho'Gath, and Maokai when you hit level 30. Once you get to 30, you'll probably start gravitating towards which lane suits you best, and then expand your pool from there. But, generally, until you start getting really good, keep your champion pool relatively low.

Coolh4x0r

02-15-2013

shameless bump + update
as you can see, i'm on a win streak now. check me in game or here: http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/37061987#history
@laxjoh, i'm pretty decent, and que with lvl 30's pretty often and am on even footing with them I big part of that is because i played the original DotA mod for Warcraft 3 until i switched to LoL last september. I'm pretty sure i had 600+ games in DotA.
@Mmmuk
i sorta did what i did in my dota days, which is play a few (in this case 3) champions for all roles, and play them well
so here they are, feedback is appreciated (champion are listed in oreder from best to worse):
Support: Sona, Blitzcrank, Alistar, want to learn Taric
ADC: Miss Fortune, Twitch, Ashe
Mid: Ryze, Lux, Annie
Top: Xin Zhao, Garen, Olaf
Jungle: Olaf, Xin Zhao, Master Yi
I have nunu, but have no idea how to play him. Jungle, Support, or Mid?