And like that my hopes on lore are gone

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
Isn't there an innate problem there though that, besides whatever her actual bio may cover, we've been asked to invest in a character based entirely on who they used to be, rather than the person they'll actually appear as in the game? It's a little like Riven being introduced through a war journal that focussed entirely on the systematic destruction of Ionian settlements, and built her up as a proud and loyal Noxian, then leaving it until the last minute to mention Coeur and exile. It's clearly given many people in the community an expectation which her character has strayed a great deal from.

You're right in saying what you have, certainly, but that still means this preview has missed the mark somewhat because it's told us very little about the Quinn we're actually going to see in the League. I think it's not an unfair assumption to say that some people have actually been turned off by her design simply because they wanted something that came closer to what she seemed in the preview, even if they would have been quite happy with her finalised appearance in isolation. No matter how good your work is, it's hard to win over someone who had their mind set on something else.

As for your latter point, I actually approach it from a different perspective. I'm far from the biggest fan of her apparent design, and would rather see a more traditional approach to the ranger archetype, so I instead think of that awkwardness as being the mark of how impractical her equipment actually looks - especially that perch. It's all a matter of perspective, really.
You bring up some really good points, and if you want to read more into what Runaan and IronStylus said in response to my disappointment of her sudden Elite status, you can read Runaan's responses in this thread and IronStylus's response here.

As for your interpretation of the full body image, I can agree. I think we both agree that she looks like she feels awkward/uncomfortable in the armor - I took it from more of a poor-girl-suddenly-wearing-shiny-armor perspective, and you took it from a ranger-wearing-unwieldy-armor perspective. I think there might be a middle ground though, because I like to believe we're both right.

Melancholy Exile

02-13-2013

You know, it's always nice to have these discussions to help me realise when I've essentially rushed into taking a stance rather than settling in for the long game. It's very true that we still don't really know who Quinn is, even if we essentially understand her backstory, and it's very likely that her in-game persona will go some way to offset the dissonance between her appearance and what we currently know about her. Really, we'll just have to wait and see.

Helmight

02-13-2013

Huh, let's think about this: She's gone from assassin in the woods to a champion on the Fields of Justice, where her face is known and there are five immensely dangerous enemies gunning for her. What makes more sense - to keep on wearing the assassin's hood and cloak (which provide little protection), or to man up and get a real suit of armor? It's not like she's wearing plate mail either though. She's made sure that her armor won't encumber her movement and let her retain the agility with which she's been so effective.

If anything, Quinn shows more smarts than almost any other champion in the League specifically BECAUSE she adopted a new set of clothing for battle, instead of wearing her conventional duds to the arena.

Kato75

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
Indeed.

I realise that I already raised as much in another thread, but I feel a major issue with Quinn is that we don't really have any idea how much time passed between the final page of her journal and her acceptance into the League of Legends. The character we've seen in IronStylus' work doesn't really reflect the person we were introduced to throughout her preview and almost feels like she's had her non-standard traits buried beneath a prototypical Demacian visage. While you could certainly make an argument for the visual metaphor at play there, it seems less than ideal to sell players on someone who stands apart from their peers, then dress and arm them in a very similar fashion.

If her bio goes some way to clarify a change in character and familiarity with a new way of war, I can certainly come to accept her current aesthetics. I may not be overtly fond with them, or feel they reflect the character I wanted her to be, but at least they make some degree of sense if she's actually had time to adapt to fighting in that sort of armour, rather than going from commoner to shining paragon of Demacia between acts.
ThIS

Kato75

02-14-2013

Iwt would be nice to have a red post here