Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kanikkers

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacus View Post
I still think she looks more like a female version of J4.
Ah, yes, I see where you're coming from.

They both have metal hats.

And faces.

Winterling

02-14-2013

Hey! Female player here. I really like the concept and think it looks awesome. I hope she can look as cool in game!

Thanks for making a female character who can actually be the role instead of being ~female~ the role, if you see what I mean. It's awesome and all too rare to see in video games.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-14-2013
14 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanikkers View Post
Ah, yes, I see where you're coming from.

They both have metal hats.

And faces.
Imagine that. Almost like we're calling a correlation between Demacian garb or something.

SaltyKracka

02-14-2013

Reposting this just so I could maybe get a response.

Just my personal two cents on Quinn. And that is about...well, her design. But not the design of her armor or character, per se.

It's about her color design.

I mean, yes. Blue and gold are the Demacian colors, and you've very obviously got a theme going here with Valor's colors and her main ones being those very, very nationalistic colors, but...I just...

I feel that her color scheme is somewhat divorced from our expectations of her as ranger, as a mistress of the hunt who has spent much of her life and does much of her work outside the city. I mean, I don't mind gold and blue and perhaps even white being worked into her design as accents, but from the little we've been given of her design to see, they seem to dominate her model. And the Demacian colors on a character who is not meant to be quite the shining beacon that Garen and J4 are feels...bright.

Bright and out of place. Perhaps much as Quinn does, and that's what you're striving for with the somewhat (to me, personally) piecemeal design of her armor as opposed to her dark leggings/bodysuit and oddly muted breastplate (it seems rather...reddish? and confuses me a great deal by breaking up her color scheme right at the center)

Then again, this is hardly a showing of her ingame model, so I could be totally off-base.

Oh mighty parrot, wouldst though care to enlighten me?

Vacus

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Imagine that. Almost like we're calling a correlation between Demacian garb or something.
Hey I don't think there's anything wrong with it :P They're both from the same ethnic background wearing similar clothing (armor), it would be weird if they looked completely different.

I just think she looks more like J4 than she looks like Leona. I can't really put the reason into words. I just know that when I first looked at the picture of her face, the very first thing I thought was 'j4's sister?'

Kanikkers

02-14-2013

In fact, for everybody saying that J4 and the newbie look the same, do this for me, 'cause I don't have Photoshoot or MSPaint.

Take J4's face and edit it onto Quinn's.

Go ahead. Say they look the same, then.

Jujubee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2013

Quote:
Recall didn't feel right in accordance of Kat's theme or the skin's theme. It felt tacked on and meaningless.

Armored women do = strong, independent. That's just one solution in a host of solutions to making strong independent women. Miss Fortune is a strong independent woman, too.
I personally challenge you to design the look for a future female champ. She has to be the total opposite of your Leona/Diana/Quinn. I honestly believe that what you will come up with will be interesting since your point of view is the total opposite of seductive and sexy. Would this be an acceptable challenge? She doesn't have to be a villain, she could still be alluring while being "good". The dancer thread could be a good fit. A support or melee dps dancer/gypsy/sword dancer champion would be AMAZING.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3122251

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-14-2013
15 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyKracka View Post
Reposting this just so I could maybe get a response.

Just my personal two cents on Quinn. And that is about...well, her design. But not the design of her armor or character, per se.

It's about her color design.

I mean, yes. Blue and gold are the Demacian colors, and you've very obviously got a theme going here with Valor's colors and her main ones being those very, very nationalistic colors, but...I just...

I feel that her color scheme is somewhat divorced from our expectations of her as ranger, as a mistress of the hunt who has spent much of her life and does much of her work outside the city. I mean, I don't mind gold and blue and perhaps even white being worked into her design as accents, but from the little we've been given of her design to see, they seem to dominate her model. And the Demacian colors on a character who is not meant to be quite the shining beacon that Garen and J4 are feels...bright.

Bright and out of place. Perhaps much as Quinn does, and that's what you're striving for with the somewhat (to me, personally) piecemeal design of her armor as opposed to her dark leggings/bodysuit and oddly muted breastplate (it seems rather...reddish? and confuses me a great deal by breaking up her color scheme right at the center)

Then again, this is hardly a showing of her ingame model, so I could be totally off-base.

Oh mighty parrot, wouldst though care to enlighten me?
Colors are off because it's technically on an overlay layer in the Photoshop file. It blew out the color but allowed it to show some of the paper grain and saturation. Her colors are more muted on the model.

vargo

02-14-2013

Quote:
And this was the intended goal as you might remember =)

Directly incorporating the feedback that we didn't need a female to look overtly feminine to.. be.. ya know.. a female.

In other words, we were ok with that.
im not i wanna play a hot girl in a video game or a crazy powerful guy not some average realistic smuck

Pink Bunnny

02-14-2013

Quote:
Armored women do = independent.
Tell that to Leona who couldn't stick her nose out of base without a teammate.