Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

√Čidolon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
I want to reiterate this, because it's super important. This is how we roll. We experiment, we try things out. We do things that seems crazy to see how they'll turn out. It's chaotic, it's creative, and it's bound to upset somebody. But it's who we are.

I hope you're along for the ride, but be prepared to feel a bump every now and then.
I think it's great, it gives Quinn and most of the Champions an incredibly unique sense of class that you can't find in any other game as a stereotype. I personally love the design of Quinn (Though I would have preferred a Long-Bow, but again that depends on her kit).

Though I would have pushed the design a little more and make her Crossbow a hand crossbow that shoots sharp quills.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SaltyKracka

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Just my personal two cents on Quinn. And that is about...well, her design. But not the design of her armor or character, per se.

It's about her color design.

I mean, yes. Blue and gold are the Demacian colors, and you've very obviously got a theme going here with Valor's colors and her main ones being those very, very nationalistic colors, but...I just...

I feel that her color scheme is somewhat divorced from our expectations of her as ranger, as a mistress of the hunt who has spent much of her life and does much of her work outside the city. I mean, I don't mind gold and blue and perhaps even white being worked into her design as accents, but from the little we've been given of her design to see, they seem to dominate her model. And the Demacian colors on a character who is not meant to be quite the shining beacon that Garen and J4 are feels...bright.

Bright and out of place. Perhaps much as Quinn does, and that's what you're striving for with the somewhat (to me, personally) piecemeal design of her armor as opposed to her dark leggings/bodysuit and oddly muted breastplate (it seems rather...reddish? and confuses me a great deal by breaking up her color scheme right at the center)

Then again, this is hardly a showing of her ingame model, so I could be totally off-base.

Oh mighty parrot, wouldst though care to enlighten me?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Is Not Gay

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Forget the Haters I think Quinn looks awesome


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chilly5

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidSorrow View Post
Because you didn't bother to look at the art in context of the character?

The only way you get Leona and Quinn into the same trope is to rely solely on visual queues. If we rely solely on visual queues...Garen, Darius, J4 all are the strong male armored types. Miss Fortune and Ahri could easily be tossed into the seductress trope, and so on and so forth. If you don't bother looking at things you can lump tons of characters together...afterall we have how many ninja's now?
Garen and J4 do indeed have needless character overlap. I think this is bad. Not saying it should be changed and I'll start a riot or something, but it's something that should be avoided. Because the two characters are old as far as this game goes...they kind-of develop their own distinctness from each other.
Darius I think you can agree that even on visual queues he is different than the other two.

MF and Ahri are both seductress tropes...but they do not only look extremely different, but also their "character" is extremely different. For instance...even their laughs, MF's laugh is a little "manical/crazy" whereas Ahri is more "quiet/smooth." They are different characters, and the overlap is not as harsh.

From what I read of the previews, Quinn's character isnt exactly popping out of them, and I have little to say about them.
From what I read about Ironstylus defending Quinn's design...it sounds like Leona. I am actually confused if he is describing Leona or not sometimes.
I mean come on...Justice heroine...with get-the-job-done full armor, keeping the peace and protecting the innocent. Sure its not "plate armor" but I mean come on...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chilly5

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
I disagree with your conclusion. I feel as though Quinn -does- convey the "in-your-face ranger" type, much more similar to a D&D Beastmaster than Ashe's Robin Hood thing. However, I think you presented your point very well. You're articulate, polite, and engaged... but somehow got a downvote. I'll give you an upvote, and I hope that you get more, because discussion like this is the most valuable stuff we can have, from players and from devs.
Wow, I guess I appreciate that. I feel like people can Downvote me if they think I'm not right. I don't see what's wrong with that.

I don't know what a D&D Beastmaster is like. To be honest...I don't see how Quinn is different than Ashe's Robin Hood thing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shunzyou

Junior Member

02-13-2013

Ugh. People are so ignorant these days.


First of all, there's factions in this game. It makes sense that in certain factions, there's similarities between characters and their looks.
That's a little something called culture. You see it in every day life, there's a fashion in real life, as there would have been in a world like this. Why are you so surprised?

Secondly, this new champion obviously has a connection to Jarvan which can be seen in the lore. Is it so surprising that the armor style is similar when they're part of the same military entity? It's not the exact same uniform, which I like, but it's common for military to adopt uniforms as a means of identifying themselves.

I don't understand all this criticism at all. If there were no similarities between champions, there would be no coherence and the lore wouldn't make any sense. They would look like random designs mashed together.

Most of these haters have no taste or artistic feel, only wanting some T&A and QQ'ing when they don't get it. Probably craving a ***** of a character so they can fap to their fanfics instead of actually playing the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mudflap

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunzyou View Post
Most of these haters have no taste or artistic feel, only wanting some T&A and QQ'ing when they don't get it. Probably craving a ***** of a character so they can fap to their fanfics instead of actually playing the game.
Really love your straw man there, if they don't like masculine women they must be lonely teenagers right?
Very mature of you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chilly5

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunzyou View Post
Ugh. People are so ignorant these days.


First of all, there's factions in this game. It makes sense that in certain factions, there's similarities between characters and their looks.
That's a little something called culture. You see it in every day life, there's a fashion in real life, as there would have been in a world like this. Why are you so surprised?

Secondly, this new champion obviously has a connection to Jarvan which can be seen in the lore. Is it so surprising that the armor style is similar when they're part of the same military entity? It's not the exact same uniform, which I like, but it's common for military to adopt uniforms as a means of identifying themselves.

I don't understand all this criticism at all. If there were no similarities between champions, there would be no coherence and the lore wouldn't make any sense. They would look like random designs mashed together.

Most of these haters have no taste or artistic feel, only wanting some T&A and QQ'ing when they don't get it. Probably craving a ***** of a character so they can fap to their fanfics instead of actually playing the game.
This is a game. It is not real life.
The characters that become champions in this game are specifically created by a design team.
This design team is invested in creating a product that is sharp, memorable, and unique.

Sure maybe people from Demacia should "have a uniform."
But...in the context of creating this game...there should be a voice saying "but we don't want to bore people with the same designs over and over again."
This is why Fiora, Galio, Xin Zhao, Poppy, and Sona...all the best Demacia has to offer...don't look the same...like at all.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SaltyKracka

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Really love your straw man there, if they don't like masculine women they must be lonely teenagers right?
Very mature of you.
This coming from the guy responsible for
Quote:
I'll stop being suspicious of Riot's motives when I see another feminine and attractive female character.

Until then I'm pretty sure they've sold out to the PC straw feminist crowd and I'm not going to be spending anymore on RP.
My sides.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Salganos

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Really love your straw man there, if they don't like masculine women they must be lonely teenagers right?
Very mature of you.
I think it's more the refusal by many to contemplate the validity of a non-sexualized woman that's getting to him, as it gets to me.

It gets so psychopathic sometimes that it can make me want to vomit.

Vomit fire.