Garen the unstopable spinning tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drisky

02-13-2013

Recently i have noticed more of Garen in solo queue. I realized i lose 90% of games against him and thought why do i lose so much to him. For one he has one of the best laneing phases considering is passive health regen, no mana cost on abilities which gives him free harrass and unlimited sustain. So he sits safely in lane to end up buying a black cleaver then a bunch of tank items. He now is a tank with too much damage. Look at his kit. Q: a silence with movement speed and a debuff remover and bonus damage that can crit. four awesome things built in one move. W: passive resistances, then takes practically no damage when active. E: spins for tons of damage. R: practically a non-true damage version of darius' ult. The combination of his ability to ignore crowd control, to get to you carries, survive forever in fights, deal TONS OF DAMAGE, and have an easy laneing phase to do what you please with it. There are some champs that can do well against garen in lane but in the end garen will get too tanky to deal with. Personally i feel his W needs a slight adjustment so he isn't so tanky throught the whole game. His Q does too many things for a single move. His passive needs a slight adjustment as well considering his ridiculous regen. Any other thoughts/opinion on this topic?

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drisky View Post
Recently i have noticed more of Garen in solo queue. I realized i lose 90% of games against him and thought why do i lose so much to him. For one he has one of the best laneing phases considering is passive health regen, no mana cost on abilities which gives him free harrass and unlimited sustain. So he sits safely in lane to end up buying a black cleaver then a bunch of tank items. He now is a tank with too much damage. Look at his kit. Q: a silence with movement speed and a debuff remover and bonus damage that can crit. four awesome things built in one move. W: passive resistances, then takes practically no damage when active. E: spins for tons of damage. R: practically a non-true damage version of darius' ult. The combination of his ability to ignore crowd control, to get to you carries, survive forever in fights, deal TONS OF DAMAGE, and have an easy laneing phase to do what you please with it. There are some champs that can do well against garen in lane but in the end garen will get too tanky to deal with. Personally i feel his W needs a slight adjustment so he isn't so tanky throught the whole game. His Q does too many things for a single move. His passive needs a slight adjustment as well considering his ridiculous regen. Any other thoughts/opinion on this topic?
well since youve got everything pieced together and arent showing any interest in a counterstratigizing of anykind I'm just gonna say I disagree with alot of what you say...

and a real tank does more than spin

V1nushka

02-13-2013

It's just a problem in blind pick I'm sure. Because if you don't know you're fighting Garen, and you send someone foolish to face him, it's pretty likely you're going to get manhandled. Most people don't realize Garen has the ability to carry pretty hard too. So when you feed him 8 kills top, and he finishes getting that tower, that's it for you. The group fights aren't going to go well for you from there. He can drop two people easily in one rotation of skills with just Black Cleaver + Sunfire Cape along with his boots, and even more so if you have an avarice blade on top of that.

The best is when people send an Assassin to fight Garen top. Rofl. I had an Akali come at me one game the other day and it was just like...yeah, you're not going to do anything this game. Congrats. Another guy tried to fight me with Thresh, then started flipping out calling me a noob champ after I crushed him 5x, and killed him and Shaco at the same time during a gank. It's like...top lane is not for experimenting with support champions. If you want to win, you need to pick a Tier 1 Champ you know has an answer to everything with proper play and suits your team setup.

Invictrix

02-13-2013

Garen is fine as is.

Yvo

02-13-2013

Lol junior member talkin bout Garen when he probably never even saw sunfire stacking.

DnaK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvo View Post
Lol junior member talkin bout Garen when he probably never even saw sunfire stacking.
lol a senior elitist, who knew!

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

As someone who used to do a bit of Top Garen, I can at least reccomend a counter I found myself unable to deal with.

Try taking Udyr top against him, leveling Turtle Stance, and focusing on Lifesteal/ Armor.

It wont happen instantly, but things get to the point where Turtle + Lifesteal almost out-heals Judgement, and at that point you win any 1v1 with Garen.

Yvo

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnaK View Post
lol a senior elitist, who knew!
Facecheck less, save your slows/snares for after he uses decisive strike.

V1nushka

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
As someone who used to do a bit of Top Garen, I can at least reccomend a counter I found myself unable to deal with.

Try taking Udyr top against him, leveling Turtle Stance, and focusing on Lifesteal/ Armor.

It wont happen instantly, but things get to the point where Turtle + Lifesteal almost out-heals Judgement, and at that point you win any 1v1 with Garen.

That's pretty much any top champion with sustain though. Udyr, Lee Sin, Irelia. Any of those would have a strong chance of demolishing Garen. If you're just bombing on Garen while he's spinning and lifeleeching back the HP he's taking, it's not going to go well for him. Especially if that sustain comes with an initial shield. Though I've demolished a few Garens as Kha'zix top too without any sustain whatsoever.

Zamary

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1nushka View Post
It's just a problem in blind pick I'm sure. Because if you don't know you're fighting Garen, and you send someone foolish to face him, it's pretty likely you're going to get manhandled. Most people don't realize Garen has the ability to carry pretty hard too. So when you feed him 8 kills top, and he finishes getting that tower, that's it for you. The group fights aren't going to go well for you from there. He can drop two people easily in one rotation of skills with just Black Cleaver + Sunfire Cape along with his boots, and even more so if you have an avarice blade on top of that.

The best is when people send an Assassin to fight Garen top. Rofl. I had an Akali come at me one game the other day and it was just like...yeah, you're not going to do anything this game. Congrats. Another guy tried to fight me with Thresh, then started flipping out calling me a noob champ after I crushed him 5x, and killed him and Shaco at the same time during a gank. It's like...top lane is not for experimenting with support champions. If you want to win, you need to pick a Tier 1 Champ you know has an answer to everything with proper play and suits your team setup.
He is talking about ranked.