Let us choose our role before queueing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BillyTheAttorney

02-14-2013

Here's what happens with that role assignment.

Someone wants to play mid. They only choose mid. after one minute they're sick and impatient of waiting, so they click all the roles. Then they're assigned support and take Akali and go "huehuehuehue, I'm playing this eff you, you choose a support then"

Problem isn't solved. And Riot wouldn't then "black out" champions because they're assigned to a role.

Sikozu

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheAttorney View Post
Here's what happens with that role assignment.

Someone wants to play mid. They only choose mid. after one minute they're sick and impatient of waiting, so they click all the roles. Then they're assigned support and take Akali and go "huehuehuehue, I'm playing this eff you, you choose a support then"

Problem isn't solved. And Riot wouldn't then "black out" champions because they're assigned to a role.
Nothing is going to 100% fix anything. Riot has on many occasions acknowledged this truth. It would however reduce it to an extent.

Yes people will still troll and in some cases abuse the system, but that will happen in any system. You can't design a solution to specifically cater to the outliers. It must be built to support the majority. In this case the majority would use the system properly in my opinion. My person appeal to this idea is based solely on the fact that in solo/duo queues a team comprised of strangers will be grouped with at least some order and organization in the beginning, and that should reduce some of the pre-game infighting that is so prevalent.

AeroWaffle

02-15-2013

I support this idea of a "preferred lane/role" queue, so long as the system keeps track of what role they were assigned and pre-game chat is introduced into the Tribunal.

I want to play League, but I'm getting tired of picking the least wanted lane just to prevent a fight. And I wouldn't be part of the solution if I joined the masses of people that type "mid" or "top" as fast as they can in the pre-game chat.

The most optimal solution (in my opinion), would be to include the pre-game chat into the tribunal like so;

Player A has entered the game as Support Bot Lane
Player B has entered the game as Jungle
Player C has entered the game as Top Lane
Player D has entered the game as Mid Lane
Player E has entered the game as Carry Bot Lane
Player E picks the Champion Ashe
Player E: What support champs are you good at?
Player A picks the Champion Teemo
Player C: Uh, are you going support Teemo?
Player A: nope, I'm just going top lane, or bot lane and grab my cs off Ashe.
Player B: well this is just going to be a great game
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//Normal in-game chat here

Sometimes I just want to play a certain lane, even if I have to wait longer to get it.

Edit: I agree that just adding in the queue system by itself will create a lot of problems, but if the tribunal was updated with it as a deterrence of queue trolling, I think it could work out well.

ManiacMcLaughton

02-15-2013

Quit dodging when there is a troll. Go all out, and report the troll. The game is about having fun, not winning anyway.

State clearly and objectively, in team chat, what happpened in character select... ask other players to verify. Example:

(me): Tribunal: Player A continued to spam "Top or Feed" in champ select, despite the fact that he was last pick. Will other players in game please verify?

Your problem will be solved, and your troll will not act up. The understand that you have every intention of reporting them, without you saying it directly. You have forced them to decide.... act an idiot and get reported by my entire team (since now they have evidence), or straiten up and work hard.

I have only had this fail once....That doesn't mean I won every game where i was forced into this... but the "troll" atleast had his "try hard" pants on.

LeetMasterAce

02-16-2013

Fantastic idea. I've been toying with this idea for a while in the back of my mind, as I get so sick and tired of people calling a role and being obstinate about it.

To second poster, I don't often see people very malleable about switching a position they "called." Apparently being first to type a three letter word into the chat means everybody else HAS to allow you to have your way.

Allowing people to check off roles they're most comfortable playing could SERIOUSLY limit the headaches involved in setting up a proper team comp.
[_] AD Carry
[_] Support
[_] Mid (AP)
[_] Solotop
[_] Jungle

That way, teams would be much less likely to wind up with the obligatory player who ends up having to "fill" a role he's really bad at.

Shelzin

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetMasterAce View Post
Fantastic idea. I've been toying with this idea for a while in the back of my mind, as I get so sick and tired of people calling a role and being obstinate about it.

To second poster, I don't often see people very malleable about switching a position they "called." Apparently being first to type a three letter word into the chat means everybody else HAS to allow you to have your way.

Allowing people to check off roles they're most comfortable playing could SERIOUSLY limit the headaches involved in setting up a proper team comp.

That way, teams would be much less likely to wind up with the obligatory player who ends up having to "fill" a role he's really bad at.
Couldn't be that limited though. You just did the current meta. Should be more like check all that apply:

[_] Top
[_] Mid
[_] Bot
[_] Jungle
[_] AD
[_] AP
[_] Carry
[_] Tank
[_] Ranged
[_] Melee
[_] Assassin
[_] Pusher
[_] Stealth
[_] Teemo

Meritone

02-16-2013

No game would ever be found because there would be hardly any supports.

Shelzin

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meritone View Post
No game would ever be found because there would be hardly any supports.
Actually... With the idea behind this... More people would be willing to play support because they WOULD get a quick game.

Cryopreservation

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelzin View Post
Couldn't be that limited though. You just did the current meta. Should be more like check all that apply:

[_] Top
[_] Mid
[_] Bot
[_] Jungle
[_] AD
[_] AP
[_] Carry
[_] Tank
[_] Ranged
[_] Melee
[_] Assassin
[_] Pusher
[_] Stealth
[_] Teemo

Damn right Teemo gets his own category.

Tsathoggua

02-17-2013

The biggest problem I see with this is what happens when the meta changes?

Look at the rise of AD mids and even AP yi builds, which only months ago would be troll picks.

Current example, my friend and I will often play a adc GP and support Fiddles bottom in ranked. We have won 3/3 games with this strategy in ranked (doing well, not just being carried along), and more in normal queue. The problem is that we are constantly called trolls and people have on occasion dodged or not communicated in pregame chat because of it.

This system essentially attempts to lock in the current meta game, making counter picks and non-normal picks seem like trolling.