Auto-reporting people for saying mean things

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zer0blizzard

02-13-2013

I understand that this won't catch everyone (because trolls/mean people can be clever, too), but there are a lot of insults that are stupidly easy to spot. Generally, if something from the following is said in all chat, that person is toxic (IMO). Also, it'd probably be helpful to have a high amount of mean things to be said for the auto-report to take place.

For example: saying "gg" repeatedly (say 2+ times, just to make sure the person is mean) before 10 minutes after the game is over (would have to be checked after the game was over, of course).

Saying "this [insert name of champion]" repeatedly. Dunno how accurate this would be, but simply replacing the wildcard with any of the champion names (or common misspellings) would probably help.

Saying noob or nub (heck, even "nob"). Or baddie. Or uninstall. Or feeder. Or "it's your fault". Or "worst [name of champion] [insert length of time here if necessary]. Or "ur bad". Or " [something] or afk" or "[something] or feed". Or "I'm trolling". Or "[something] your mom (or ur mom)."

You also might want to check for "fvck", f u c k, s h i t, btch, the n-word (OMG HE SAID THE N-WORD), etc.

Obviously, this series of blacklisted words/phrases would have to evolve over time, but a good way to build up the database of bad words would be to take all of the words said by verbal abusing/harassing/whatever players and then find the most common.

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

This is an horrible idea.

Because you could be saying those things in a playful way and other people responded the same way.
In this case, that would be a victimless crime.

It is all about context. If nobody felt offended, by whatever was said, then there is no need to report that person.

In the same way, some people get offended by things that wouldn't be caught in a system like that.

I think that idea has too many flaws to be effective.

Zer0blizzard

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvaras666 View Post

Because you could be saying those things in a playful way and other people responded the same way.

It is all about context. If nobody felt offended, by whatever was said, then there is no need to report that person.

In the same way, some people get offended by things that wouldn't be caught in a system like that.

But people that get reported almost always say these things. And therefore this system makes it so that games where somebody that was not reported, but did say these things, could be held against them for Tribunal punishments where their record now only takes into account their reported games.

Zer0blizzard

02-16-2013

Waiting for responses.

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0blizzard View Post
But people that get reported almost always say these things. And therefore this system makes it so that games where somebody that was not reported, but did say these things, could be held against them for Tribunal punishments where their record now only takes into account their reported games.

it doesn't matter what people say.

People can say whatever they want, they just can't offend people, and it is impossible to make a system that detects if someone is offended.

gi3bnvd

02-16-2013

Quote:

ok.. what if we improve this idea?
If and only if the player gets reported, the system searches for those terms, and if a match is detected, the player is sent to the tribunal faster.

Quote:
it doesn't matter what people say.

People can say whatever they want, they just can't offend people, and it is impossible to make a system that detects if someone is offended.
We do have a system that detects if someone is offended. It's called the report system. The report system can be improved by what Zer0blizzard said: detect offensive words, and add weight to the report if the person said offensive words.
His idea, as it is, is bad. We can improve it.

Kinvaras666

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi3bnvd View Post
ok.. what if we improve this idea?
If and only if the player gets reported, the system searches for those terms, and if a match is detected, the player is sent to the tribunal faster.
That is a better idea. It is to detect how bad the player was and send faster to the tribunal
This one I agree fully.

Anything with automated reports won't work, but if you are detecting to see how bad the already made report was, then it works.

Trydan

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0blizzard View Post
I understand that this won't catch everyone (because trolls/mean people can be clever, too), but there are a lot of insults that are stupidly easy to spot. Generally, if something from the following is said in all chat, that person is toxic (IMO). Also, it'd probably be helpful to have a high amount of mean things to be said for the auto-report to take place.

For example: saying "gg" repeatedly (say 2+ times, just to make sure the person is mean) before 10 minutes after the game is over (would have to be checked after the game was over, of course).

Saying "this [insert name of champion]" repeatedly. Dunno how accurate this would be, but simply replacing the wildcard with any of the champion names (or common misspellings) would probably help.

Saying noob or nub (heck, even "nob"). Or baddie. Or uninstall. Or feeder. Or "it's your fault". Or "worst [name of champion] [insert length of time here if necessary]. Or "ur bad". Or " [something] or afk" or "[something] or feed". Or "I'm trolling". Or "[something] your mom (or ur mom)."

You also might want to check for "fvck", f u c k, s h i t, btch, the n-word (OMG HE SAID THE N-WORD), etc.

Obviously, this series of blacklisted words/phrases would have to evolve over time, but a good way to build up the database of bad words would be to take all of the words said by verbal abusing/harassing/whatever players and then find the most common.
First Grade's that way >>>...grow up.

Zer0blizzard

02-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trydan View Post
First Grade's that way >>>...grow up.
Same to you.

CaesarFlickerman

02-18-2013

Although people can stand to be much much much nicer in-game, there is a bit of raging insensitivity that goes on in-game. Like, one silly 2 line disagreement should not warrant mass reporting. Like...relax.