Percent damage caps

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Catfish017

02-12-2013

Percent damage has often been noted to be a powerful tool, and even moreso in the current meta of low resistances and high health. The current champions who have a percent damage-based ability in their kit are :
Amumu, Dr. Mundo, Brand, Elise, Evelynn, J4, Kog'Maw, Mordekaiser, Nasus, Vayne, Vi, Xin Zhao, and Poppy.
Of these, all of them have some sort of cap against minions (after all, dealing 20% of baron's health would be a pinch OP) but only Nasus, J4, and Poppy have caps against champions.

Is there a reason behind this? Nasus's aoe %-of-max-health into AD aura I completely understand, and J4's being on his passive understandably gets a cap. The main issue is Poppy. Poppy's entire point has been that she has a miserable laning phase in exchange for being able to completely wreck your carries when she's fed. Why would a cap be placed on her that doesn't do anything early game, but only serves to hinder the only part of the game she's supposed to be good in?
On the flip side, her Q does have a base damage that scales separately from the percent damage, so you don't have to worry about your stats going to waste, I suppose.

Admittedly, I think she's getting a rework, and the cap only comes into play when opposing champions have over uhh, 4.7K health I believe, so it may not apply to most carries (... maybe some weird vlad?), but the fact that it has a cap is annoying.
Why Poppy, why not Vayne or Koggy or Jayce or Vi? =(