LoL - Improving item builds - sneakyazshiite

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SneakyAzShiite

02-12-2013

Hey guys. Every so often id like to come on here and post about something in hopes i can get a lot of different feedback. Today i want to talk about improving my item builds.

I can understand that a champion is AD and one is AP. But how do you personally determine which items to buy? I want to understand better how to "think" of builds on my own as a game progresses based on what the enemy is building.

Now obviously you cant go over every item and counter for every champion. Maybe a quick example will help guide your answers to what im looking for.

Say im in mid and i sustain until level 6 then die. Enemy goes back and is probably gonna build AP. Should i go defensive at that point? or build into my AP?

Answers related to something like that are what im looking for. Hopefully this isnt too complex, but if you feel you have ANYTHING to contribute in terms of tips related to builds and item order etc just post! =) Thanks for reading.

SneakyAzShiite

02-13-2013

Too complex?

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

I find that distance is probably the best thing to work your champion around. Most of your survivability and damage revolves around your kit, which usually has some sort of theme in terms of distance.

Katarina has short range, making her both high risk and high skill. But as a result, you can pull off some crazy good bursts in a team fight due to her refreshing spells. Her short range means she'll constantly be taking damage, so spellvamp or an abyssal scepter would both increase her damage and survivability. Guardian Angel is another decent example, increasing the potency of spellvamp, can earn assists while reviving (thus resetting her skills), and can massively increase survivability without requiring too many items. She's usually focused first, which is exactly what you want with a guardian angel.

Now, lets shift our attention to Ziggs. Ziggs has much more range, extremely mana dependent, and while he can hit more consistently than Katarina and provide zone control, he is much less mobile, and relies heavily on not being reachable in the first place. This means that speed (Lich's Bane, or Rylai's to slow more often), heavy harassment damage (Liandry's or Rabadon's, to scare away any threats before they can even reach him), and mana (athene's or banshee's veil) are going to be some of the more important options for him. As long as you play cautiously enough and have vision, you can escape from most ganks and manage to land harassment without being at risk.

Mostly understand what it is your champion needs in general, and tie that in with what you need RIGHT NOW. In a mid AP lane, this is often Magic Resist. Most ranged casters need plenty of mana, so getting an Athene's works extremely well. Casters that don't can further improve their damage and early game survivability with an Abyssal Scepter, which is doubly effective since they are probably a close range champ (like Kennen or Katarina).

Personally, I've had more luck choosing my first item to specifically counter the largest threat against me that also scales with me.

Another subject of importance is repetition of damage. Staying on the subject of AP champions, a Liandry's Torment can be better with a constant damage champion (Brand, Cass), than a strictly burst champion (Veigar, Nidalee), who deals all of their damage in an instant. These Burst champions might better scale with a Void Staff, allowing them to maximize their heavy damage potential. You CAN get both Void Staff and Liandry's Torment, but don't forget about your survivability, which is often overlooked as an AP mid.

This concept can also be seen with AD items (Brutalizer vs Last Whisper, Bloodthirster vs Phantom Dancers), AD champions (Tristana vs Ashe), and tanks (Leona vs Galio).

SneakyAzShiite

02-14-2013

Distance. Ill have to pull that to the front of myhead. Thats why i have a hard tine with ceetain champions. I havrmt looked at what range is best to fight from compared to my opponent. Especially in team fights where i tend to lose sight of my champion :-/

rikoLash

02-14-2013

I understand your reasoning Z, but I really don't think that spell vamp OR Abyssal Scepter are strong choices on Kat.

I feel like understand how your champion scales and what his/her purpose is to the team, in terms of map pressure, teamfighting etc should determine what items you ultimately purchase.

SneakyAzShiite

02-15-2013

I guess that helps a little. But if i know what i need to do how am i sure im getting the best items to maximize the champions potential?

Like spell vamp/ life steal. Only use that for high damage champions? Adc? Burst AP?

Keliaas

02-15-2013

The best way to answer your question is Practice. There are general items that are good for each champion no matter what, but a lot of what you should be building is based on who you are playing against and what they are doing.

SneakyAzShiite

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliaas View Post
The best way to answer your question is Practice. There are general items that are good for each champion no matter what, but a lot of what you should be building is based on who you are playing against and what they are doing.

Yeah i know. im just trying to get a jump start on this is all. jungling seems to be my thing lately so i need to focus on that. I just want to make sure my builds are as effective as possible

cpandarun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2013

I noticed that when I was new I would never buy pots or wards. Honestly though in the early game pots give you so much sustain that they can not be overlooked. They let you stay in lane longer for gold and xp and will give you a hard edge against an equally skilled opponent who doesn't buy any. Now I'll usually make sure I can buy a couple pots and a ward or two whenever I b. Even past the 20 minute mark I might buy a couple pots to heal up after ganks and skirmishes so I can farm more before I go back. Wards are wards and they will save your life. Read some guides on important ward locations. As a jungler the more information you have the quicker you can react to counter ganks and take advantage of opportunities to gank.

Practice will be your best ally. You can read all the guides and listen to all the advice on the internet but it doesn't count half as much as experience. Once you become comfortable with the systems in LoL you'll start to know what you should build to take advantage of or counter <insert> item, champ, team comp ect. Just remember that it's just a game it's reasonable to get frustrated but try to have some fun even when your team is trolling you.

SneakyAzShiite

02-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpandarun View Post
I noticed that when I was new I would never buy pots or wards. Honestly though in the early game pots give you so much sustain that they can not be overlooked. They let you stay in lane longer for gold and xp and will give you a hard edge against an equally skilled opponent who doesn't buy any. Now I'll usually make sure I can buy a couple pots and a ward or two whenever I b. Even past the 20 minute mark I might buy a couple pots to heal up after ganks and skirmishes so I can farm more before I go back. Wards are wards and they will save your life. Read some guides on important ward locations. As a jungler the more information you have the quicker you can react to counter ganks and take advantage of opportunities to gank.

Practice will be your best ally. You can read all the guides and listen to all the advice on the internet but it doesn't count half as much as experience. Once you become comfortable with the systems in LoL you'll start to know what you should build to take advantage of or counter <insert> item, champ, team comp ect. Just remember that it's just a game it's reasonable to get frustrated but try to have some fun even when your team is trolling you.
Im past the wards and pots haha. Ive been doing that since summoner level 6. =P Im a fast learner but everything has slowed down. thats why im posting on here. Im at the point where im experimenting with build orders and am trying to differentiate between what items to buy. Maybe a big thing for me could be doing a better job learning all of the champions that way im not caught off guard by abilities. =O