Nautilus is great, but a few problems.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ghostvoider Rick

02-12-2013

The first problem I have is his q. I cannot aim that anchor very well. I love the rest of his moveset, but i really cannot aim the q too well. I am also a bit of a spammer, so i am forced to have to play passively during laning phase because i run of out mana fast. Not sure how to solve this. Can anyone help?

SooFr0sty

02-12-2013

If you are going top, get a early philo stone. The anchor takes some time getting used to so try bot matches as AIs are easier to grab

deadheld

02-12-2013

space out your skills to make your cc last longer, This will cause your skills to be much more effective and helpful to your team.

X74

02-12-2013

I just recently bought Nautilus, actually, and played 4 games with him since then, one being ranked.

I won all of them. I'm ****ing loving him right now. Aiming his Q is a matter of timing, it's a slow grab but not too slow. You just need to anticipate the path an enemy is taking, and if that doesn't work, try moving in the same direction as they are so that they're not running a sideways angle away from your anchor. After doing it long enough you should get a feel for it enough to hit them going sideways, and jungling with him helps speed up that process because he's great at it and has extremely deadly ganks. Early in the game your Q is also used less for closing the gap and more for damage if you're not jungling and just laning. You want to engage with your autoattack stun+E combo, or if you can't catch up to them, E first, then stun them with your AA. At this point they should be freaking out from being pounded into the ground and will most likely back up; at the same time they'll probably be slowed which is the ideal time to use your Q and pull them right back. Just keep hammering down on them.

Other than that though, you should use your Q when you absolutely know they won't have time to move out of the way or just aren't moving/don't see you, not just to try to harass. Your E or even just your AA stun (for melee champs) is better for harass.

√Čidolon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvoider Rick View Post
The first problem I have is his q. I cannot aim that anchor very well. I love the rest of his moveset, but i really cannot aim the q too well. I am also a bit of a spammer, so i am forced to have to play passively during laning phase because i run of out mana fast. Not sure how to solve this. Can anyone help?
This doesn't belong on these forums, you should post this under "Guide & Strategy"

Blaze86420

02-12-2013

If you're laning with Nautilus, you're playing him wrong. He belongs in the jungle, there's really no point of laning with him.

My Desired Name

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvoider Rick View Post
I've had some great success playing him top lane as a tanky AP bruiser, though I've only done it three times because I haven't bought him yet and he was free last week.

First I get a Doran's ring to start off with. My first major buy would be Iceborn Gauntlet. It has everything you need: Mana, Ability Power, Armor, Cooldown Reduction, and a nice on-hit effect that synergies really well with your kit.

In lane, play somewhat aggressively and try to zone your opponent out by punishing him when he tries to last-hit minions by doing the WQE combo. When done correctly, your opponent will be missing a third of his health bar. When he gets low enough, target him with your ultimate and it's usually a guaranteed kill. Refrain from spamming your abilities and practice hitting your Q accurately. Remember, it isn't thrown in a perfectly straight line.

You can get out of scary situations by using your anchor to pull you towards your tower, or dash towards a wall to escape a gank. It can also help you to maneuver around the map faster. This gives him really good mobility, especially lategame when you have like 30% cooldown reduction, you can do it about every 4 seconds.

Next you need health, so I would get Sunfire Cape for extra tankiness and sustained damage. Abyssal Scepter for even more AP and magic resist. Warmog's, Hourglass, Rylai's, Liandry's, Frozen Heart, and Banshee's Veil are also great choices. Boots are highly dependant on the situation. Get Sorceror's shoes for higher damage output, Ninja Tabi if you need more armor, Mercury Treads if their team is AP heavy, or Ionian boots to spam your abilities more often.

Late game you are a great initiator because of your ultimate and your Q. You can easily catch an overextended opponent, or you can target the squishy carries will will also knock-up everyone in its path while doing massive AoE damage to them. You have tons of crowd control and high burst damage, and if they ignore you, you will have incredible sustained damage from your W and they will regret it. You will damage multiple opponents at once which makes you a huge threat during teamfights.

I hope this helped you alot.

AWildRaticate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Desired Name View Post
I've had some great success playing him top lane as a tanky AP bruiser, though I've only done it three times because I haven't bought him yet and he was free last week.

First I get a Doran's ring to start off with. My first major buy would be Iceborn Gauntlet. It has everything you need: Mana, Ability Power, Armor, Cooldown Reduction, and a nice on-hit effect that synergies really well with your kit.

In lane, play somewhat aggressively and try to zone your opponent out by punishing him when he tries to last-hit minions by doing the WQE combo. When done correctly, your opponent will be missing a third of his health bar. When he gets low enough, target him with your ultimate and it's usually a guaranteed kill. Refrain from spamming your abilities and practice hitting your Q accurately. Remember, it isn't thrown in a perfectly straight line.

You can get out of scary situations by using your anchor to pull you towards your tower, or dash towards a wall to escape a gank. It can also help you to maneuver around the map faster. This gives him really good mobility, especially lategame when you have like 30% cooldown reduction, you can do it about every 4 seconds.

Next you need health, so I would get Sunfire Cape for extra tankiness and sustained damage. Abyssal Scepter for even more AP and magic resist. Warmog's, Hourglass, Rylai's, Liandry's, Frozen Heart, and Banshee's Veil are also great choices. Boots are highly dependant on the situation. Get Sorceror's shoes for higher damage output, Ninja Tabi if you need more armor, Mercury Treads if their team is AP heavy, or Ionian boots to spam your abilities more often.

Late game you are a great initiator because of your ultimate and your Q. You can easily catch an overextended opponent, or you can target the squishy carries will will also knock-up everyone in its path while doing massive AoE damage to them. You have tons of crowd control and high burst damage, and if they ignore you, you will have incredible sustained damage from your W and they will regret it. You will damage multiple opponents at once which makes you a huge threat during teamfights.

I hope this helped you alot.
I've been maining Naut since his release, used to main top now I generally jungle him. I gotta disagree with parts of your advice, mainly the amount of AP you have. His scaling is horrible, so you pretty much want to stick to tank items. When I take him top I generally rush a Sunfire and Abyssal combo, but Abyssal is generally the only AP I get on him. Rylai's is pretty meaningless on him since he already has 4 forms of CC, all of which are stronger than Rylai's slow, so you're spending gold on HP which you can get in better items and AP which you'll hardly get any damage out of. Liandry's can be good because of the passive, you don't need to have high damage to still do damage (which is why it's great on tanks like Singed and Sejuani, too).

I'd advise something more like: Merc Treads, Sunfire, Abyssal, Warmog's as your core, then build the last 2 items depending on team comp. Some attack speed works really well on him so you can use your passive all over the enemy team, so Wit's End or a Zephyr can be awesome. Liandry's if you don't really need any more resistances.

Ghostvoider Rick

02-13-2013

thanks for the advice, but it appears that i am just really having a hard time with the anchor. I can aim when im relaxed and not attacking anyone, but during a teamfight, i just fall apart, and i sacrifice myself for the benefit of the team, and they just clean up. I really don't know what is going on....

Ghostvoider Rick

02-13-2013

maybe im not melee, and i the sorta guy that sits back and fires like artillery, because that i can do easily...