League borderline unplayable since the Thresh patch

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tolfor

02-12-2013

It's as the thread title says. The cause: giant lag spikes in every game. Also, it's been getting progressively worse as time goes on (the Season 3 patch in particular saw a huge jump in the number and duration of spikes for me).

Here are my symptoms:
1) My average ping jumped from being in the 70-80 range up to 90-100

2) My ping has been fluctuating much more frequently and severely, with spikes as high as 7,532 (yes you read that right).

3) The lag typically becomes worse over the course of the game - what might just be small spots of input lag for the first 5-10 minutes quickly becomes 5+ second long periods of the game being completely frozen happening multiple times per minute by the 15-20 minute mark.

Here's what I've tried to fix it:
1) Uninstalling Pando Media Booster (actually, it was never installed to begin with - I uninstalled it as soon as I got League set up years ago)

2) Resetting my router and modem (multiple times)

3) Running a speed test (upload and download are the same as my ISP has always provided, and it never had problems with League before)

4) Playing other games to see if they lag as well (no such problem with Guild Wars 2, for instance)

5) Closing the League of Legends launcher while in-game (no effect)

Attached is my DxDiag text file.

I've seen a lot of threads describing the same types of problems around Help & Support lately, all of which cite the last two major patches as the starting points for the ping/lag spikes. I'd really like it if Riot gave some attention to this - hundreds to thousands of people have been unable to play for weeks on end; I would think this would be a top priority issue to at least respond to even if it can't be fixed right away. I've been afraid to play ranked for two weeks in case it turns out to be one of my "bad games," and that sucks.

cheeser01

02-12-2013

I'm so tired of the lag spikes. It's really frustrating when they happen EVERY SINGLE GAME

x1beefcakes1x

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

riot broke game and no fix

Tolfor

02-12-2013

Why don't we try compiling sympoms/attempted solutions/other relevant information in this thread, so that Riot might be able to use it to find a solution for us (or at least see the scale of the problem)? Average ping increase, frequency/severity of spikes, etc.

This game was a lot of my leisure time and my ranked team had big plans for Season 3. I'm tired of waiting for it to get better on its own, because it obviously isn't happening. I want to play League again!

Tolfor

02-13-2013

Bump. See above post - I want to collect some data here in this thread from other people experiencing lag just to be sure this is actually Riot's fault. And if it is, attention seriously needs to be drawn to this issue.

Tolfor

02-13-2013

To the top again. I'm not letting this go. Still unable to play, still very unhappy about it.

HiahioLoL

02-14-2013

I will aid you in your quest to the top as I have had frequent ping spikes on the most stable internet I have experienced in my life. Last hitting is a chore, teamfighting is nigh impossible, and forget trying to kite as ADC since apparently Vi has me on a yo-yo string. So PLEASE, Riot, give us a sign that you guys have recognized that there is a problem and that you are working towards a solution. TY

Tolfor

02-15-2013

Time for your daily dose of displeasure. I'm still here.

Played four games last night to see if the patch made anything better - two on Treeline and then two on Rift.

Game #1: Mostly okay. In the last 5-10 minutes of the game, my framerate started getting progressively worse and I started getting small amounts of input lag again (although nothing crippling).

Game #2: Completely fine.

Game #3: Completely fine, again! "I'm cured," I announce to my arranged team buddies.

Game #4: Suddenly, garbage again. Ping hovers around 450+ for 95% of the game, giving me a delay of three seconds or more before any of my commands are registered and carried out. Totally unplayable, game is a disaster, and we surrender at about 24 minutes or so.

I'm going to call my ISP's offices later today and see if they can give me any insight. Will update again once that's done.

I would still like to strongly encourage anyone having similar problems to post their symptoms and attempted solutions in this thread so that we can determine the root cause.

Tolfor

02-15-2013

Alright, finished up the service call with the ISP - no solid resolution to or explanation of my problem, but they did a little technical fiddling that might make it better. If it works, I guess that'll mean I owe Riot an apology. If not, then Riot needs to start figuring out what the real problem is (or at least give some sort of acknowledgment other than in the one thread that's like four months old). I'll try playing a few more games tonight and see what happens.

thepack007

02-20-2013

Ever since end of the second week of February i've been lagging alot like Tolfor is. In literally every game im dcd with a amazing ping of 15000+. I literally cant even think of why it just started then.