Lane questions from a noob

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AcornGames

02-13-2013

The Meta is a great plan to help the team organize itself. ( So everyone can pick a champ to fill a role to fill the team ) That being said it isn't the ONLY way to play the game.

Plenty of times ive been yelled at for taking Soraka Mid instead of playing the support role, or taking Fizz Bot. Most of the time I end up destroying my laning opponent because they don't expect or underestimate the champ ive chosen.

The pros who've solidified the meta have also gone against it. In one of the qualifiers a game was won because the team put Vi mid instead of an AP caster which lead to an early first blood. So don't freak out if you see an odd champion choice because often enough it can be the winning factor!

Vescarte

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCrossheart View Post
The Meta is a great plan to help the team organize itself. ( So everyone can pick a champ to fill a role to fill the team ) That being said it isn't the ONLY way to play the game.

Plenty of times ive been yelled at for taking Soraka Mid instead of playing the support role, or taking Fizz Bot. Most of the time I end up destroying my laning opponent because they don't expect or underestimate the champ ive chosen.

The pros who've solidified the meta have also gone against it. In one of the qualifiers a game was won because the team put Vi mid instead of an AP caster which lead to an early first blood. So don't freak out if you see an odd champion choice because often enough it can be the winning factor!
Counter meta strategies are great when they work but I tend to find them risky. Not to say that I'm the most experienced League player of all time, but the reason I would run a counter strategy is to completely shut down a particular lane or to attempt to win quickly. By sending Vi mid the team was counting on her bulk to shut down a burst mid, at least that's what I'm assuming. The problem is if they sent Vi mid then they sent their APC top in which case just swap lanes. Otherwise, They didn't have an APC which is risky because if Vi was not able to zone the other mid then eventually the team with the APC would have the advantage simply because they would have higher damage output. The reason people frown upon things like soraka/supporty mid is because they lack late game damage needed for the death and destruction mids are known for. Though ap soraka heals are some of the most wonderful things in the game if your team lacks the damage to kill the other team one or two heals are not going to save you late game unless you are really lucky, or have a high damage jungler. The reason fizz is frowned upon bot is because he is not really a support. He lacks lacks any cc or buff for his partner and he is not really a suitable carry because he lacks a strong ranged auto attack. Now I'm not saying that counter meta strategies never work nor am I saying that certain champs won't work in certain lanes. I just believe these strategies lack the consistency of success that the current meta is known for. However, experimentation is a wonderful thing. The meta only got to be the meta through experimentation and when a better way to win is found the meta will evolve again.

Zinzon

02-14-2013

I dont know if it was mentionned but AP carry goes mid because:

1. usually he need to have high lvl skill to make more dmg (caster's principe). Thus he needs a solo lane;
2. he output the most dmg early game because of the state above. he can go and help his teamates where they need him and be a huge contribution because of his early dmg. So the center is the best lane for him because of the proximity of all lane and he can cover both sides of the jungle.

AcornGames

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vescarte View Post
Counter meta strategies are great when they work but I tend to find them risky. Not to say that I'm the most experienced League player of all time, but the reason I would run a counter strategy is to completely shut down a particular lane or to attempt to win quickly. By sending Vi mid the team was counting on her bulk to shut down a burst mid, at least that's what I'm assuming. The problem is if they sent Vi mid then they sent their APC top in which case just swap lanes. Otherwise, They didn't have an APC which is risky because if Vi was not able to zone the other mid then eventually the team with the APC would have the advantage simply because they would have higher damage output. The reason people frown upon things like soraka/supporty mid is because they lack late game damage needed for the death and destruction mids are known for. Though ap soraka heals are some of the most wonderful things in the game if your team lacks the damage to kill the other team one or two heals are not going to save you late game unless you are really lucky, or have a high damage jungler. The reason fizz is frowned upon bot is because he is not really a support. He lacks lacks any cc or buff for his partner and he is not really a suitable carry because he lacks a strong ranged auto attack. Now I'm not saying that counter meta strategies never work nor am I saying that certain champs won't work in certain lanes. I just believe these strategies lack the consistency of success that the current meta is known for. However, experimentation is a wonderful thing. The meta only got to be the meta through experimentation and when a better way to win is found the meta will evolve again.
Yes, it all depends on what you can expect from the enemy team and how you plan on contributing late game. I would never recommend going against the meta without thinking it through haha, unless youre trolling.
Quote:
The reason people frown upon things like soraka/supporty mid is because they lack late game damage needed for the death and destruction mids are known for.
Late game thanks to Sorakas awesome Starfall farm you can have any build you want very easily which usually leaves me with 3k hp+300AP!

Soraka Starfall can spam for about 350 damage every 2 seconds (Without CD reductions ) while procing Ryalias slow on the entire enemy team. with every shot after the second dealing 420+damage and keeping the enemy teams MR down by atleast 24. and passively raising your teams MR by 16 for fun.

Lets say a team fight last 10 seconds. that's somewhere around 1600 damage to the entire enemy team! Certainly nothing to scoff at especially if they have any glass cannons/pure supports, whos hp is normally sitting around 2k.

With 300 ap youre also sitting on this;
- Silence for about 500 damage
- Single Heal for about 550hp+100Armour
- Global heal for 650

Quote:
The reason fizz is frowned upon bot is because he is not really a support. He lacks lacks any cc or buff for his partner and he is not really a suitable carry because he lacks a strong ranged auto attack.
I agree hes not great for bot haha, it usually goes well because of his ability to quickly deal enough damage to get the enemy adc or support to back off and recall. I rarely play him bot because well hes just way better Mid/Solo top haha. While he does not have a ranged attack, he does have an amazing ranged ability Kit; just something to consider!

Im thinking of running him as a jungler actually. Another experiment that sounds promising! With his crazy burst damage and gap closers ganking any lane should be very profitable!

Quote:
I just believe these strategies lack the consistency of success that the current meta is known for. However, experimentation is a wonderful thing. The meta only got to be the meta through experimentation and when a better way to win is found the meta will evolve again.
Very well put, and i wish i had said it in my first post haha.