How do you feel about the updated Ranking system?

It's horrid. 8 16.67%
It needs work, but I like a lot of the concepts 11 22.92%
I like it, but it definitely needs some adjustments 17 35.42%
It's awesome. 12 25.00%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Ladder Anxiety

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SeCKS Egai

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalTautology View Post
That's the cause of your problems, and it is based on a myth.

If you are a Gold-rated player, have bad luck in placements and go 3-7 and end up in BronzeIII, you'll be in Silver very shortly and Gold not long after that.

If you plan on playing more than say 50 Ranked games this season, your placement matches will not end up mattering any more or less than any other game you play.
I wouldn't say its based on myth. My normal draft is silver and bronze rated folk. It's hard to tell what qualifies for silver since I've seen bronze outplay them and really, while its pretty clear what makes a plat/diamond player stand out - between silver and bronze I don't see a difference unless they're lowest of the bronze.

Because of the promotion series - it can be pretty frustrating to fail it should you be unlucky enough to get trolls as repeating it several times isn't exactly...fun.

LogicalTautology

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
I wouldn't say its based on myth. My normal draft is silver and bronze rated folk. It's hard to tell what qualifies for silver since I've seen bronze outplay them and really, while its pretty clear what makes a plat/diamond player stand out - between silver and bronze I don't see a difference unless they're lowest of the bronze.

Because of the promotion series - it can be pretty frustrating to fail it should you be unlucky enough to get trolls as repeating it several times isn't exactly...fun.
There is a very big difference between someone who is 1400 (high Silver last season), and someone who is 1500 (low Gold last season). The latter will win the matchup every time.

SeCKS Egai

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalTautology View Post
There is a very big difference between someone who is 1400 (high Silver last season), and someone who is 1500 (low Gold last season). The latter will win the matchup every time.
Matchup, perhaps - but if that were the case people could never climb the ladder.

So far I've had luck in my second placement, but it was clear both the mid and our top weren't quite ready for ranked. Thankfully we were able to work together and be organized enough for teamfights to lock it down, albeit there was always the risk of them turning it around if someone got caught.

The other thing is that ratings are so broad. I can fill every role comfortably enough, but I know plenty of the folks I end up teamed with cannot. Most folks I know who earned silver last season aren't even versatile.