How do you feel about the updated Ranking system?

It's horrid. 8 16.67%
It needs work, but I like a lot of the concepts 11 22.92%
I like it, but it definitely needs some adjustments 17 35.42%
It's awesome. 12 25.00%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Ladder Anxiety

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SeCKS Egai

02-12-2013

So, our new league system has been up a bit now.

While it was changed to ultimately make ranked play more goal-oriented, it does appear to have some flaws.

I never finished my placement matches season 1, and was gone for the majority of season 2. I've done one game so far season 3.

Having a perdy 100% win ratio (ala winning a single game) is how I started season 1 (and now 3). However, I find myself anything but eager to step back into ranked where I can effectively get the same experience in a normal draft.

But I really dread the placement matches - a string of bad luck will mean bronze, and a potentially long and painful process to get out.

So I'm curious how people are feeling about the system, and about their own ranked experience since we see plenty of hate threads on the forums as is.

SUPERSEYMOUR

02-12-2013

SC2 had a similar ranking system, which ended up discouraging ranked play and creating ladder anxiety . I hope LoL doesn't have this problem, but if it does, we always have normals.

itsDozier

02-12-2013

I suffered from ladder anxiety in SC2 really bad. Wound up playing AI rather than real players. Does't affect me as much in LoL, though.

SeCKS Egai

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsDozier View Post
I suffered from ladder anxiety in SC2 really bad. Wound up playing AI rather than real players. Does't affect me as much in LoL, though.
Yeah, some games its noticeable whereas in another completely nonexistent. I think all the threads I see of complaints about feeders and leavers and afks play a big role mentally here tho.

Slashinghardest

02-13-2013

honestly it probably seems worse then it is because we get threads complaining about their teams but when do you see someone come to the forums and say "that team was perfect"

SeCKS Egai

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashinghardest View Post
honestly it probably seems worse then it is because we get threads complaining about their teams but when do you see someone come to the forums and say "that team was perfect"
Good point - I've had teams where everyone was on point - I mean my first ranked game this season went that way, everything just flowed so smoothly.

SeCKS Egai

02-13-2013

Anyone else care to vote? My last 2 games reminded me of just how bad some of the community could be, though seeing a taric and kayle ward base incessantly isn't something I've seen since season 1.

The Doss Boss

02-14-2013

I do like this new system better, I know I might be in a low division but it makes me feel better moving up my division rather than just given a number and knowing that I am 2nd in my division rather than 12093812093rd place worldwide.

I feel like I have my own little bronze ranked family haha even tho I want to trade them in for a silver family one day.

awkwardbowman

02-14-2013

I'm loving the new system so far. I've hit less trolls, I've managed to find some better teammates and have better games. I don't feel like I'm stuck at my crappy elo either. I main support and I found that, no matter how much i set up my carry, sometimes they just couldn't finish because they weren't at that skill level. It's harder to get up a tier now (from Bronze V to Silver V you'd have to win about 4-5 games 2 out of 3 for 4 promotions and 3 out of 5 totaling over 30 games of straight wins to get from lowest bronze to lowest silver), but I found that it makes sure people are more or less in the same skill area at least. I don't have to worry as much that my carry is far less competent than my opponent, and even when I lose a game I actually don't find myself caring that much.

It's a lot better now in my opinion, even though the trade off it having to win a lot more to move up. I'd gladly have to play more to get up to gold if the games are of a better quality.

LogicalTautology

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
But I really dread the placement matches - a string of bad luck will mean bronze, and a potentially long and painful process to get out.
That's the cause of your problems, and it is based on a myth.

If you are a Gold-rated player, have bad luck in placements and go 3-7 and end up in BronzeIII, you'll be in Silver very shortly and Gold not long after that.

If you plan on playing more than say 50 Ranked games this season, your placement matches will not end up mattering any more or less than any other game you play.