Flash, The Weak Man's Clutch

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Echo5kw

02-12-2013

Just as a random rant..I've come to hate flash. Like not just a little, but completely despise it. The cool down is ridiculously long, and it's functionality is ****. Yes, you get a gap closer/escape, but most of what I see are people who are obviously thinking, 'hey, i've got flash, I CAN run into this stupid spot and just flash out if needed.' This strategy, most of us know, doesn't actually work, because of how much flash shuts down. I've had conversations in pre-game where I've literally been told I'm the biggest idiot in the world because I didn't take flash and, 'gg you just gave up first kill.'

For everyone...try playing without it a few games. See how it feels, see how YOU position knowing that you can't just hit a button and move away. I'd bet that most people would play vastly different, and give up way less kills.

Just a rant. That is all.

Capt Poro Snax

02-12-2013

The difference between genius and stupidity, genius has limits. chances are those same people would do that even without flash. As people get better with pos and how to not over extend you start to see a drop in use of flash for summoners in general.

WhoopsiGoldburg

02-12-2013

Don't take flash, ez kills op

Shenghis Khan

02-12-2013

I have been running flash a lot, but I don't use it often. Last game I didn't use flash the entire game.

anon8755

02-12-2013

flash is sick. /thread

Mich567

02-12-2013

A decent LoL player would never use Flash as a reason to take unnecessary risks... it almost always is used for a good purpose that will either save someone from dying, or help kill the enemy team...

Romantic Metro

02-12-2013

Flash/Exhaust combo before the other player flashes ftw

ROKAF JE

02-12-2013

Flash isn't for being stupid, it's for making plays. You shouldn't be in a bad enough position to need to flash out, but it happens.
Using it offensively is the best way.

Also, with the flash meta, not taking it puts you at an immediate disadvantage in situations requiring mobility.

Thanks for the Bronze insight.

Romantic Metro

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKAF JE View Post
Flash isn't for being stupid, it's for making plays. You shouldn't be in a bad enough position to need to flash out, but it happens.
Using it offensively is the best way.

Also, with the flash meta, not taking it puts you at an immediate disadvantage in situations requiring mobility.

Thanks for the Bronze insight.
Well most abilities aren't made to protect your ass from stupidity. They are there to help make plays :P Imagine a teleport for protecting an inhib turret from minions (defensive), and now imagine you need to get to your team gearing up for a team fight or getting rdy to baron (offensive), Ignite not to just secure kills, or to keep ult sustains like mundo from being too effective, but also to make a player think twice before charging you on a turret dive with half health and you yourself are low. Flash in particular is just the most effective with chasing and escaping from ****ty situations and you need to stay alive to protect base or finish off a team.

Zaphery

02-12-2013

I usually take Flash on carries and AP casters regardless if they have escapes or not, one can never be too safe.
Sometimes I take flash on champions like Alistar and use it as initiation (to save headbutt for knocking a squishy into our team.
Otherwise I just take Ghost and Ignite/Exhaust on the more tanky champions with escapes like Shen and Zed.
As for the other spells, not all of them are good enough to take over flash.

Situational:
Smite is usually grabbed for jungling
Sometimes I go for Clairvoyance and Exhuast when I'm Janna and we are playing a farm lane.
Cleanse is really only picked you are the adc
I would get Teleport if the other team has someone with a Global ult(Shen) or if I want to just farm at top/mid and my character doesn't have as much sustain.

Not Worth:
Clarity is a useless skill for me since I never have mana problems even with mana hungry champions like Anivia. And this is without the blue buff too.
Heal is really only good early game, Late game and in team fights it doesn't stop a bruiser from insta gibing your carries.
In my opinion I don't see any real reason to get barrier and revive in Summoner's Rift.
Barrier doesn't shield for enough.
Revive has a huge cool down and is not worth it.

And so that leaves us with Flash, Ignite, Ghost, and Exhaust as the most useful Summoner Skills in my opinion (Not counting situational summoner spells). Even still Ghost is really only useful for the champions that need to chase people down and there is really no point in getting both flash and Ghost either. That is probably the reason why you see the Flash/Ignite and the Flash/Exhaust combination most commonly. Its because there really aren't any better options/choices at the moment.

Of course this is all just my opinion...