Which lane is the most viable at 250 ping?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hirumonogatari

02-12-2013

Hi guys, got a question here.

before you complain about my internet, i'd love to have a solution for it, but unfortunately Riot seems to have a bone to pick with Oceania and leaves us alone to deal with the long connection to US, so we're stuck with the ping. I know some people who have it slightly better at 220 ping, but i'm not shelling out over a hundred bucks a month for a marginal improvement.

250 ping may not seem like a lot, but it adds up to half a second in delay by the time your input goes to the server and is reflected back onto the screen. I usually play bot lane and when playing adc, can farm reasonably effectively if left alone. however more often than not i lose in a harass war, because that extra half a second of you standing there in the open means an extra auto harass you take. could be worse. i've taken blitz grabs and leona stuns even though i'm well away from it on my screen.

when i play support i have the same issue. i just don't have enough lane presence because it's so glaringly obvious when i'm about to go in for a harass. i can ward the lanes with pinks and clear wards, but all that's doing is damage control.

i have tried mid before as an assassin but even against bots its a terrible experience. you just can't chain skills quickly enough. ever see a katarina that took a second of delay in between skills? yea, that was me.

i haven't tried top yet but i think it won't be any better.

would appreciate if some people having experience playing at high pings share their thoughts on how to alleviate the most serious issues.

Thing O Doom

02-12-2013

Improve your own reaction time, don't play lux or karthus.

Qsario

02-12-2013

Your lag problem is one of distance. They simply don't have any servers in the region, so all of your internet traffic has to cross the Pacific. Even with many unrealistic assumptions, about 80 ms of your ping is coming from that alone. In practice, you're losing much more simply due to distance.

Basically, they need servers physically located over there. I have no clue when or if that will ever happen, but I've seen threads indicating that they might be discussing it. I don't think Australia has an equivalent to Amazon's cloud services, so I wouldn't get excited unless you hear about them hiring a bunch of server ops or something in AU/NZ.

I guess I'd suggest looking for tanky champs that don't rely on skillshots. But you're always going to be at a significant disadvantage with that sort of ping. For supports, you might got with Taric, for example.

Hirumonogatari

02-13-2013

i've given up on expecting any sort of news. Riot is deliberately either protecting the Americans or outright discriminating against the region.

I'm now in damage control mode and trying to figure out what the best spot to take. so you would still say support is the best position to take given the circumstances?

ZOMGTURTLE

02-13-2013

I'd have to agree that support will likely be the least damaged by ping issues, at least if you're playing tanky supports. Someone like Taric, Leona, or Alistar suffers much less from ping issues (unless you're trying to do Ali's W-Q, which might not be possible with that ping =P). Not only are they less twitch-reaction based, but with decent survivability, getting caught because you couldn't move in time won't be as big of a deal.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Play tanky champion or support

Sad thing is, Riot will not provide server to each region, some places on the world rarely have any server for any games, an example will be greenland.

ChaosTempest195

02-13-2013

i manage mid. you just can't over extend at all. unless there 1\4 health and you are at full.

Tang Bohu

Recruiter

02-13-2013

Quote:
Riot is deliberately either protecting the Americans or outright discriminating against the region.
Rather aggressive for somebody asking for advice.

PS: I would actually say Jungle. A good support has to micro a lot, but you could always be "afk in bushes" guy if you want. I say Jungle as in Junglers such as Maokai who are tanky and can just Point-and-Click Gank. I wouldn't suggest people heavily dependent on fast combo's Such as Jungle-Elise.

rikoLash

02-13-2013

250 ping is nothing. I never feel like I am at a disadvantage against someone with 50 ping. I've been playing games at 200-300 ping for years. Every champion is viable, nothing should be different.

Chronic Diablo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Don't play