Does Dom punish you for win streaks?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IDontWasteFood

Senior Member

02-12-2013

After going around a little more then 10 wins with 1 loss I start to see really bad champion comps being put together. After I dodged the first one I said w/e and played with a full team of squishies (except for my amumu) hoping I would be wrong and we wouldn't get stomped. Well we got stomped and of course they had a kass too making it even more of a stomping. After the game they had players with well over 1k wins while my teams highest was me with 500+ wins and the rest were 200.... Why, why I ask does this happen. I don't care about facing way more experienced players, I care about having equally experienced players on my team as well.

Is this an isolated experience and I am just crazy or does the game actually force u to lose? I've noticed this many times before just never checked games played.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ikruti

Senior Member

02-12-2013

AFAIK, if you go on a win streak, your Elo should be raising a bit. Now, there's not exactly a massive community of Dominion players, so we don't have have millions of players across all Elo spreads like SR does.

This means that teams are more likely to have Elo spreads. It's quite possible that you're the one chosen to average out that spread. While it tries it's best to match make based on keeping the Elo's close, unfortunately that's not always possible with fewer people in queue. So it has to rely on averaging out.

I'm guessing that's what you're seeing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bunnle

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Heaven forbid people actually dare to pick a champion they enjoy playing on Dominion rather than spamming tryhard comps all day.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IMTOOJUICY

Senior Member

02-12-2013

someone blasted me for playing nautilus the other day. i was sad.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NavyGothic

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnle View Post
Heaven forbid people actually dare to pick a champion they enjoy playing on Dominion rather than spamming tryhard comps all day.
This is a problem with the lack of draft / ranked play*. Currently blind pick is the only viable queue, so in every game you get a mix of people playing competitively and people playing for fun. It's not that tryharding is a bad thing; it's just that unranked blind pick is a horrible environment for it.

* note: of course, the root cause of most Dominion problems is the miniscule player base.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IDontWasteFood

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnle View Post
Heaven forbid people actually dare to pick a champion they enjoy playing on Dominion rather than spamming tryhard comps all day.
Do you like just posting random things? I said I got paired with team mates that had 200 wins each, against the opposing team who had players with over 1.2k wins. That's the main point of the post.

Heaven forbid people actually dare to read.

.

AFAIK, if you go on a win streak, your Elo should be raising a bit. Now, there's not exactly a massive community of Dominion players, so we don't have have millions of players across all Elo spreads like SR does.

This means that teams are more likely to have Elo spreads. It's quite possible that you're the one chosen to average out that spread. While it tries it's best to match make based on keeping the Elo's close, unfortunately that's not always possible with fewer people in queue. So it has to rely on averaging out.

I'm guessing that's what you're seeing.

.

I can see that happening but it wasn't even close to averaging anything fairly when one teams players have 1000 more wins then the others on average.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NavyGothic

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontWasteFood View Post
Heaven forbid people actually dare to read.
Dom has a very low player population, resulting in a much higher Elo spread than SR.

There's not really any other answer...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DSpyder

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontWasteFood View Post
Do you like just posting random things? I said I got paired with team mates that had 200 wins each, against the opposing team who had players with over 1.2k wins. That's the main point of the post.

Heaven forbid people actually dare to read.

.

AFAIK, if you go on a win streak, your Elo should be raising a bit. Now, there's not exactly a massive community of Dominion players, so we don't have have millions of players across all Elo spreads like SR does.

This means that teams are more likely to have Elo spreads. It's quite possible that you're the one chosen to average out that spread. While it tries it's best to match make based on keeping the Elo's close, unfortunately that's not always possible with fewer people in queue. So it has to rely on averaging out.

I'm guessing that's what you're seeing.

.

I can see that happening but it wasn't even close to averaging anything fairly when one teams players have 1000 more wins then the others on average.
Just because you have 1000 wins vs someone with 200ish doesn't mean that you are not within the same Elo range.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IDontWasteFood

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpyder View Post
Just because you have 1000 wins vs someone with 200ish doesn't mean that you are not within the same Elo range.
How does that work? Is it ranked? Or is it the W/L ratio. If its the ratio I still find it hard to accept.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NavyGothic

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontWasteFood View Post
How does that work? Is it ranked? Or is it the W/L ratio. If its the ratio I still find it hard to accept.
Elo is the calculated statistic that matchmaking uses to determine how skilled a player is. It's calculated by giving positive or negative Elo after each match; the amount is determined by your team's average Elo against the enemy team's average Elo.

(Note: the actual numbers below are probably wildly inaccurate)

Example 1; your team has average Elo 1500, the enemy team has average Elo 1400. You should win the game, so if you do win you get +10 Elo (and the enemy team will get -10).

Example 2; your team has average Elo 1500, the enemy team has average elo 1700. You're very likely to lose the game, so if you do win you get +30 Elo (and the enemy team will get -30).

It's not perfect, but it's far better than win-loss ratio or number of games played.


12