Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Regarding the new champion's name...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elhehir

10-26-2010

CUT FROM OTHER THREAD:

Quote:

[QUOTE]Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicHero
LeBlanc is a surname. It doesn't have to agree with her gender because it is a family name.

As an additional point of irony, the French community's only complaint about the name is that they find it too commonplace. Apparently there are quite a few LeBlanc's at large in and around France, many of whom are in fact women.

1. Regarding the surname's gender; you are very correct in saying that it does not have a specific gender. It just sounds more masculine than anything else, or at the very least, not feminine at all.
  • To put it in perspective, LeBlanc is akin to naming a champion Emilia Richardson and naming her merely Richardson.

2. On a less important point, that surname is only used in mainly English-speaking countries... Leblanc is usually the form preferred/more commonly found in France and mainly French-speaking regions.

• For mainly French-speaking people, take the champion's name and change it to Emilia RichardSon. It can just irk us a tiny weeny bit to see it written that way (albeit it won't matter to those who see it written as LeBlanc such as Ontarians/Lousiana Americans/etc.).

3. The plainness of the name can be attributed to the name which is nothing out of a fantasy/original setting. Also, the main name for most champions of the League is usually their first name. The title is alternative or can follow. I can understand that the name must be determining in the champion's character though, so I give the following suggestions regarding her name.

As a neutral measure that should please both English-speaking and French-speaking players, I would suggest:
  1. naming the upcoming champion simply "Emilia" and keeping whatever surname she currently has.
  2. if the surname must be the main name change it to:
  • "Emilia La Blanche", La Blanche being the game name. La Blanche would be mainly kept in order to follow up the name with a title such as: "Emilia La Blanche, The Deceiver"
  • "Emilia, La Blanche Demoiselle" La Blanche Demoiselle being the game name (already sounds more noble and is consistent with the LoL gaming scheme aka Kassadin, The Voidwalker/Akali, The Fist of Shadow/etc.)

My main suggestion would be the last one: "Emilia, La Blanche Demoiselle".

Positive points:
  • Respects LoL naming scheme
  • resolves the whole gender issue
  • resolves the whole French finds it too common issue/diplomatic solution for the mainly English party and mainly French party
  • words are known enough that they can be kept for "exotic attractiveness" while being understandable/translatable (blanc is known to be white and demoiselle is obviously equivalent to damsel)
  • fits in-character with her being from high-court and being a noble and everything.

Negative points: Might be too "pure" for a stealth caster that looks a bit shadowy. Simply change "Blanche" to whatever feminine adjective that fits the character. I'd recommend:
  1. "La Furtive Demoiselle" - sounds common
  2. "La Sybilline Demoiselle" -sounds too distinguished
  3. "L'Obscure Demoiselle" -I like this one
  4. "L'Insaississable Demoiselle" -"the elusive" I like this one a lot too

Anyway, I hope you'll find a good idea in this mess. Feel free to contact me on Elhehir's email address (this account), if you need any suggestions. I am not a translator but I live in Québec and am quite knowledgeable in French and fully functional in English. I'd be glad to assist you. [/QUOTE]Just stating my opinion (from a native French-speaking point of view) on two points:

Firstly,

I have just read the name of the to-be-released female caster champion.

Emilia LeBlanc

As a normal Québécois, fluent in French, I would like to note that her name ticks me off immensely. I nearly fully trust Riot's crew in terms of champion design and everything but

EVERY SINGLE GAMING COMPANY that comes out with a remotely french~ish name capitalizes some letter right in the middle of said name.

I don't know if I'm the only one that this irritates (only a little bit, fear not :P), but is there a reason why her name is Emilia LeBlanc instead of Leblanc?

Just asking for the reasoning under her naming scheme (maybe LeBlanc is something else in the US? I don't know)

Secondly,
Also... Leblanc just sounds masculine/neutral in French, I would very much suggest to have the "main" champion name to be Emilia instead of Leblanc (just for consistency with the champion's ***(ugh, filter; meant *gender*)... unless I have something wrong and it's A TARP!)

Besides, most champions in the League are also principally named by their first name instead of their last name.

Gribblez

10-26-2010

Wow really. Get a fricking life. Its an imaginary pixel.

djpeanutbutter

10-26-2010

Quote:
Elhehir:

Also... Leblanc just sounds masculine/neutral in French, I would very much suggest to have the "main" champion name to be Emilia instead of Leblanc (just for consistency with the champion's ***... unless I have something wrong and it's A TARP!)

Quote:
Elhehir:

(just for consistency with the champion's ***... unless I have something wrong and it's A TARP!)

Quote:
Elhehir:

unless I have something wrong and it's A TARP!)

Quote:
Elhehir:

it's A TARP!

It's a tarp.

Ep1cLeprechaun

10-26-2010

Quote:
Elhehir:
Just stating my opinion (from a native French-speaking point of view) on two points:

Firstly,

Emilia LeBlanc

As a normal Québécois, fluent in French, I would like to note that her name ticks me off immensely. I nearly fully trust Riot's crew in terms of champion design and everything but

EVERY SINGLE GAMING COMPANY that comes out with a remotely french~ish name capitalizes some letter right in the middle of said name.

I don't know if I'm the only one that this irritates (only a little bit, fear not :P), but is there a reason why her name is Emilia LeBlanc instead of Leblanc?

Just asking for the reasoning under her naming scheme (maybe LeBlanc is something else in the US? I don't know)

Secondly,
Also... Leblanc just sounds masculine/neutral in French, I would very much suggest to have the "main" champion name to be Emilia instead of Leblanc (just for consistency with the champion's ***... unless I have something wrong and it's A TARP!)

Besides, most champions in the League are also principally named by their first name instead of their last name.

I had no idea that it wasn't common in French. I assumed that LeBlanc was similar to McCoy, my neighbor's last name. But just for you, I'm going to call her, "Em". Shorter than LeBlanc anyway

Konge

10-26-2010

I am from Ontario and there's a ton of LeBlancs, female and male, i'm even a LeBlanc!

Corvusa

10-26-2010

As far as I know, Last Names dont depend on Gender?

Ham summons ham

10-26-2010

i thought leblanc was another swain lol

Sarcasma

10-26-2010

I think Emelie LeBlanc is a much cooler champion name than LeBlanc personally.

Elhehir

10-26-2010

Quote:
Knekt:
I am from Ontario and there's a ton of LeBlancs, female and male, i'm even a LeBlanc!

Thanks for brightening my lantern (LeBlanc is a virtually inexistent name in Québec and France; must probably be more common in Ontario/New Brunswick/America).

However, I am also thinking of the second point; calling the champion by her last name does not really "sound good" and, well, she seems to be a she. LeBlanc just doesn't sound very feminine or in-character.

Sharkyzero

10-26-2010

Quote:
Elhehir:
Just stating my opinion (from a native French-speaking point of view) on two points:

Firstly,

Emilia LeBlanc

Secondly,

Stop posting.