Soraka skins? Seriously...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phyrexia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kades View Post
snip amazing wall of text
Thank you for coming to this thread and responding. Just two things on my mind:

1) Just promise me that as Soraka's support (heh) in the Riot offices, you won't push for what the previous advocate (Shurelia) did and try to double the cool down and mana cost on her heal and halve the AP ratio on it, just for some insignificant buff to Starcall. (Personally I'd like to see Starcall removed all together but that's another thread)

2) It might be just me, but it still feels "off" to play with the Divine Soraka skin. Probably one of my bigger pet peeves is that her joke still references the non-existent horn. So it really feels like they just sort of polished up something that was substandard and almost got it to the acceptable level. To many people it feels like Soraka still only has the 1 extra skin in addition to her default because of the issues with the Divine skin.

Chokomaro

02-12-2013

My idea for a legendary Soraka skin: Queen of The Stars skin.

Soraka's body would be an extreme light-blue tone, her skin covered with silver runic inscriptions, her eyes glowing blazing white. She would be wearing a beautiful circlet on her forehead made of precious diamonds and transparent jewels. Soraka would be emitting a soft white glow all around her and she would be wearing a long sparkling fitted dress that trails behind her and a translucent sparkling veil. Soraka would have a white-silvery version of the crescent (banana) sceptre which she uses to fling sparkling crescent moons (sparkling white bananas). Soraka would have long straight silvery glowing hair that trails in the floor, underneath her veil, whenever she uses a skill her hair would levitate.

The particles would have an angelic or heavenly theme, showing the powers of the stars, beyond the physical, into the spiritual world and the unknown. Soraka's voice would be echoed in a very calm, soothing and assured tone.

Kelberry

02-12-2013

Quote:
Alright, with a bit of reluctance, I'll tank this thread one more time. Although, I'm doing it with some reservation since A) I'm not on the skins team and B) I agree with your general sentiment. I suppose it's actually healthy for me to explain this from the other side since I can't think of anyone in this building who is more passionate about Soraka than I am... (That's not to say there isn't, but no one jumps to mind.)

To use Annie or Ashe as an example of us providing a skin along with a rework is a fair conclusion- but inaccurate because you don't have the full context of the situation. For both Annie and Ashe, when the decision was made to recreate their models, we held off on creating new content for them. To create a skin that would be attached to Annie, for instance, and then a month or two later work on recreating that exact same skin for the new model would be problematic. We would have to create the new skin twice. So when the decision was made to slot Soraka for a much needed visual update, we held off on new skins. Why she didn't have more skins before I got here is a fair complaint, but I can't really speak to that. (And frankly, our skins team has leveled up substantially since the early days, so I don't spend a ton of time agonizing over the past.)

It's not readily apparent, but if you go back and look at the dates of Annie and Ashe, they hadn't received a new skin in quite some time leading up to their rework.

"But Kades, why didn't Soraka get a new skin with her rework the way Annie and Ashe did?"

That's a really fair question, and while I'll always do my best to provide you transparency on what I can, I do want to continue to work here tomorrow so I'm going to be pretty careful when describing unreleased content. I will say that we strive to keep our quality bar very high, and if anything doesn't hit it, we're not afraid to scrap it and start over until we get it right. Notice I didn't say 'scrap it and walk away'. Though, I guess to be fair, we're not really afraid of that either.

But to say that 'riot hates Soraka' is silly. First off, because Riot is not a person as much as it is a collection of people. And secondly, because among that collection of people, I work there... and I think I probably have more Soraka games under my belt then most players have games played. I mean, it's not a competition, but... I'm passionate about this champ. I'm a constant advocate internally to both get her some love and to push her towards a healthier state. So while I'm not speaking with authority as a skins dude, I can speak with confidence as a guy who is constantly advocating for Soraka. I understand clearly what the hurdles have been in getting her some love, because I've faced them first-hand. That's the visibility that I'm trying to provide.

I was being a bit glib in my last post when I said that the people posting here won't really be satisfied until we get this number of skins up to a more reasonable place. Your numbers are accurate. She has two extra skins- and even those two were late to the game, in my opinion. (Pardon the pun.) But since I've gotten here, they have been hard at work recreating those 3 new reworked skins.

And... honestly.

I mean, I'm not trying to be rude, but I really think you have to give our skins team a bit more credit. With these relaunches, they're completely rebuilding the model and starting from scratch. They're re-skinning every version of the champion, complete with new particles, new animations, revisiting the sound and the Splash artwork as needed... the process can take months and months. And we're not doing this because these champions aren't selling. We're throwing a ridiculous amount of man-hours behind this because we're trying to give you guys the best game we can. And if that means that we move resources away from creating new content like additional skins (which, note: typically correlates to 'income') and instead move those same resources to a complete overhaul of the visuals on champions and skins that are already bought- I mean, some of Kat's reworked skins we don't even sell anymore -all because we want to make them better.... basically, we're just trying to get the best game out that we can. Because we're pretty passionate about it, too.

I don't know.

I'm really proud of the work our skins and relaunch guys are doing. To scrap up any of our visual reworks as 'insignificant' or as a source of frustration instead of a source of excitement seems... peculiar. Honestly, it seems frustrating.

With the relaunch, we've done 5 additional skins for Soraka- though we gave you three of them for free.

But to the OP's point, yes, Soraka needs more skins. I agree. And she'll get them. Promise. "Soon tm" and all that nonsense. (I hate that phrase.) (I hate even more that I'm having to use it.)
Yeah because selling virtual material that has little to no physical presents in reality is really hard to change, you make it sound as if your team is doing it out of want and on their own time, they're not, they're doing it because the game's artwork is getting very outdated and in order to keep people around they have to update it or else eventually people will leave because they will feel as if the game creators left them in the dust.

It's their job, not some martyr in your office saying "I will work on this skin for free, and I'm doing it for the community." No, it's about money, and you guys have plenty of it.

Aavak

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirska View Post
Soraka is one of my favorite champs in the game. However, this oversight annoys me.

17 champions were released with the original game in February 2009: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_champions

Let's look at this list and how many skins each of these champs have (via http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=603934)

Alistar - 6
Annie - 7
Ashe - 5
Fiddlesticks - 6
Jax - 7
Kayle - 5
Master Yi - 5
Morgana - 4
Nunu - 5
Ryze - 7
Sion - 4
Sivir - 5
Soraka - 2
Teemo - 7
Tristana - 6
Twisted Fate - 7
Warwick - 7

Seriously Riot this is ridiculous. Why does every original champ have at least 4 skins, probably closer to 5 or 6 on average, yet Soraka only has 2?

Where are the Soraka skins?
Morello stated in a thread about a week or so ago that a new soraka skin was in the works.

108th Fruit

02-12-2013

Quote:

One of the big issues is that for a long time Soraka was slated to have a skin rework. That's happened, and in essence we got three 'new' skins. Complete with new particles.
Annie got a rework and has 7 skins.

So by your logic annie has 14 skins to soraka's 4.

aka your logic sucks.

Azarend

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larias View Post
Yeah uh, the game wasn't released until October 2009.
Holy cow man! You've just invalidated OPs entire point! /sarcasm

TerraRising

02-12-2013

Just to address one point:

Quote:
With the relaunch, we've done 5 additional skins for Soraka- though we gave you three of them for free.
Actually, I paid for the champ and her skins with RP (which I acquired through real cash transactions) so I wasn't "given" anything for free.

I also shudder to think what would happen to an otherwise better than average company if they did adopt the attitude of "This rework created a pack of new skins, so have fun buying them again!"

I hope that wasn't your intention.

DemiluniS

02-12-2013

I don't remember ashe getting a new skin with her VU

Dryad Soraka

02-13-2013

OMG! So that means there are 2 Soraka skins in the works? Or was Kades referring to the old BP Soraka and the new one? ohhh hmyy lord

Regardless, Kades is now my favorite red.

I loved the Soraka visual upgrade, she's so beautiful and unique. And the art for Dryad Soraka is........ amazing. I'm ordering a custom print of it soon for my wall. It'll go next to my first Soraka poster :') I really love Soraka. I've vowed (starting today, the 13th) to play only Soraka until she gets a new skin. And I'll be playing her more afterwards.

TerraRising

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiluniS View Post
I don't remember ashe getting a new skin with her VU
Ashe didn't get a new skin "with" her rework.

If I recall correctly, the model for her Amethyst Ashe skin was the one used for the reworked ones and was released 6-7 months BEFORE the upgrade.