How do I counter fizz?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TDC Xyren

02-11-2013

I just played a game against a fizz with ryze (championselect says ryze counters fizz). I was doing really well for the first 5 minutes, I put poked him and out csed him. But then, their jungler ganked me and fizz got a kill. From there on, fizz just keeps insta bursting me. And I have no way to run. Even flashing away doesn't save me.
So how do you counter a fizz?

ChiefClive

02-11-2013

If you're playing Ryze, part of your build should be Banshee's Veil. That helps a lot against Fizz's burst, but for the most part, during team fights, you have to avoid the shark, hide behind your tanks and wait for him to use his Urchin Strike, then use Rune Prison on him and make sure to have your team focus him down. Fizz needs to be up close to do damage, so use that against him.

Cernnous

02-16-2013

Ryze does not counter Fizz.

Well, you have to understand exactly why Ryze counters Fizz, and how any good Fizz player can be able to get around that. The whole point of Fizz is that he's able to Q/W onto a champion, and auto attack. This is both an effective harass tool, and how Fizz can begin killing champions off relatively quickly once a Lich Bane is built due to the, "applies on-hit effect" of the dash.

Ryze counters Fizz in this sense since Ryze is able to root Fizz in place, and he has a greater range to do it from. Meaning whenever Fizz tries to Q/W him you'll be able to root him in place, and unleash your combo on him while also getting out of the way before he can actually harass you.

There is a flaw in this, however; Playful trickster. Most Fizz players would use this as either a pushing, or escape tool. But a good Fizz player would use this, when fighting a Ryze, as a means to get within range of Ryze to Q/W him. Even if you're able to root Fizz in place, he would have already dashed in front of you. This results in you either trading blows with him (not a good idea), or taking the time to walk away from his auto attack range. The problem with the latter is that by then the root would no longer be in effect, and Fizz has full mobility again.

Make sure you get a jungler with good CC to help you on this, as if you rely only on your root to kill him... You're screwed.

shaGuar

02-16-2013

tbh Talon is a pretty good Fizz counter if played properally. If you work with your jungle you can shut him down.

Its funny because I had just recently played against a Fizz as Lux and luckily my jungler knew that Fizz vs Lux was gonna be a hard lane so he basically camped bot and we shut down Fizz.

Bait out his jump. Know what to do after his jump is down. Plus very passive.