Help Me | How to get out of low elo?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zuil

02-11-2013

(Possibly not the best spot to post, but work with me please)

Like the title says, I need help getting out of low ranked.

I think I am a decent / half decent player. I am currently in Bronze V, which from what I know of this new ranked thing, that is not good. It isn't improving my skill level in ranked or un-ranked, which is frustrating since I want to get a more of a challenge.

Now, I don't know how to climb, no matter what hints and tips I find. I try playing whatever role that we need (support included) but since this game is so reliable on having all your teammates play at a uniform pace of level and farm, it's so hard to win for me due to almost having that 1 or 2 guys on my team falling behind in farm and just losing in the lane battle, which just leads to massive losses in team battles which normally waves the white flag.

I am sure some people have maybe gone through my problem and have solved it, or are struggling as well like me, can maybe give tips or better yet help start a ranked team.

ProSkills Feeder

02-11-2013

I'm in a similar situation (don't just duo queue with just ANYONE or you tend to lose elo =S) and now that I've taken it somewhat seriously the last week or so I can tell you a couple things relevant to low elo.
Number 1: Get really, really good at one or two roles and practice the heck out of a couple champions in each role.
Number 2: Capitalize on the opportunities that you get to play those positions.
Number 3: When you get a position your not as good at try to be extra sure to keep good communication with your teammates.
Number 4: Don't get angry or pissed, it helps no-one.
Number 5: Make sure YOU aren't the reason your losing, since your the only constant variable it gives you a much better chance to win,
Number 6: Give constructive feedback when someone makes a mistake, and if they don't take it then that's all you can do.

But essentially it all boils down to two of the points above: Win games where you get one of your good positions; win as many games as possible (30-60%?) where you don't. You should progress if you can do this.

Zuil

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSkills Feeder View Post
I'm in a similar situation (don't just duo queue with just ANYONE or you tend to lose elo =S) and now that I've taken it somewhat seriously the last week or so I can tell you a couple things relevant to low elo.
Number 1: Get really, really good at one or two roles and practice the heck out of a couple champions in each role.
Number 2: Capitalize on the opportunities that you get to play those positions.
Number 3: When you get a position your not as good at try to be extra sure to keep good communication with your teammates.
Number 4: Don't get angry or pissed, it helps no-one.
Number 5: Make sure YOU aren't the reason your losing, since your the only constant variable it gives you a much better chance to win,
Number 6: Give constructive feedback when someone makes a mistake, and if they don't take it then that's all you can do.

But essentially it all boils down to two of the points above: Win games where you get one of your good positions; win as many games as possible (30-60%?) where you don't. You should progress if you can do this.
Thank you!

Gydeinn

02-13-2013

You'll probably find the following just about anywhere else you look for advice, but the basics:
1) Get good at a position and request it in every game.

2) Find a secondary position that you're comfortable in and get good in that as well.

3) Know the basics of the three remaining roles, even if you're not comfortable with it (at least you'll have an idea of what you should be doing)

4) Keep an open line of communication with your team. Does your last pick suck at jungle? Then don't make him jungle. This is one of the biggest mistakes I see people make because they're given advice such as "whatever you do, make sure you get your role" (which usually ends up in feeding and raging).

5) Keep an open line of communication with your team. Do you know roughly how long the CD is on shen ult? Tell your team when it's been used, when it should be up, and when it's about to come up. Same with buffs (red and blue 5 mins), Dragon (6 mins), Baron (7 mins), and wards (3 mins).

6) Keep an open line of communication with your team (again). Do you see someone leave their lane? Ping where they left, say who it was, where they might be going, and whether or not they might gank someone. Always assume everyone is tunnel visioned on CSing or harassing and ping them back when you see someone ganking, and don't think calling MIA is enough, because it isn't (and oh boy is it not). I find the more meticulous you are with the enemy position, the better of a position you'll be in. Do you see jungle and mid ganking top? Call bot, mid lane and jungle in for dragon. Is it roughly 7 or 13 mins (when blue buff usually spawns) and you see the jungler on the opposite side of the map without said buff? Go right ahead and take it.

7) Wards. Lots and lots of wards. Map control is the most important thing because without it, you lose control of objectives. Every one should be warding (I'm of the opinion that the ADC is the exception because he's being baby-sat by the support, but others have begged to differ) during laning phase, mid game, and late, right up to the very end, especially if the support isn't warding. In that case, kindly as them to ward objectives, while warding everywhere else yourself.

8) Enemy warding. Keep note of how many wards your opponent has (click on them or press "tab"), and tell your jungler if they left lane and returned with fewer wards than he left with. It'll give you a rough idea of where it was warded, and a rough idea of when it'll die. You can also make a note of how long they were gone. If they just walked into the bush and came right out, you can assume it was pretty shallow (giving them just enough vision to warn them of a gank). If they were gone longer, they probably warded deeper (either a jungle buff or an entrance to the jungle).

9) Assess the situation. This will probably have to come with experience, but try to figure out if it's worth turning around and fighting, or if you should just leave. Sometimes, losing one person is better than trying to help them and lose two in the process. It's the same thing with Baron, Dragon, turrets, inhibs, or when they invade.

10) LoL Replay. You'll hear this everywhere; get LoL Recorder, record your games, and analyze them afterwards. I understand this might be hard if you can't identify your mistakes, but it's at least a step in the right direction. Once you get good enough at identifying mistakes, start doing it in game. Become aware of your though process so you know what exactly you were thinking, so you can figure out why you did it, and then you can tell yourself why it was a bad idea (I don't know if that made sense, but I hope it did).

11) When in doubt, duo Q with someone you know is at least at your skill level. I know my games go more smoothly if I'm in a skype call with my partner and we can co-ordinate ganks, or tell them directly what needs to be done.

12) Call shots. You might want to practice this one in normals, but nine times out of ten, if your team doesn't have a shot caller, then nothing gets done. If nothing gets done, no objectives are taken, no lanes are pushed, and everyone's piddling about like their heads are full of air. A bad shot caller is better than no shot caller, otherwise how would you figure out what has to be done?

Welp, these are all I can think of off the top of my head. It's fairly long, but these are some of the things I've compiled from various sources and experience. Oh, and one last thing before I head off to bed: winning your lane =/= carrying. If you're Top, roam mid and snowball them as well. If you're mid, then it's your job to not only feed yourself, but to feed every other lane as well (ganks with your jungler usually result in a 4v2 going your way).

iDpark

02-13-2013

I buy wards as ADC when my support refuses to ward side bush.

Wards win games.

Cranshinibon

02-13-2013

I like this thread a lot. I have a question too: If i usually play characters that don't hold a dominant role what do I call in ranked matches.

I usually play Yorick or Evelynn and learned to play them very well, but don't know how they can really be called in a set up unless I'm in a premade and we all try and complement each other's choices

YellowDog7

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuil View Post
(Possibly not the best spot to post, but work with me please)

Like the title says, I need help getting out of low ranked.

I think I am a decent / half decent player. I am currently in Bronze V, which from what I know of this new ranked thing, that is not good. It isn't improving my skill level in ranked or un-ranked, which is frustrating since I want to get a more of a challenge.

Now, I don't know how to climb, no matter what hints and tips I find. I try playing whatever role that we need (support included) but since this game is so reliable on having all your teammates play at a uniform pace of level and farm, it's so hard to win for me due to almost having that 1 or 2 guys on my team falling behind in farm and just losing in the lane battle, which just leads to massive losses in team battles which normally waves the white flag.

I am sure some people have maybe gone through my problem and have solved it, or are struggling as well like me, can maybe give tips or better yet help start a ranked team.
A few things you'll never hear from the loudmouth crowd.

In order from easiest position to hardest:
1.Skill cap for bottom is stupid high. You have to watch your partner, and two enemies while farming.
2.Jungle is a little higher than bottom.... unless you use a guide to figure out creep order, build, and who is good in the jungle. Which you should.. It is harder to figure out jungle, which is why you use a guide. But the jungle is static. It doesn't change so once you get the hang of it, you are fine.
3.Middle is third hardest, bursty burst can kill you hard, skill shots everywhere.
4.Top is easiest. Bruisers pounding each other. Things can happen fast, but not as fast.

NEVER FORGET MINIONS. They may not do THAT much damage in a fight, but if the Minions are beating on you and not as many on them, that can decide fight right there. Early on, all-in fights will have both sides really low. So 10% of your HP in damage is a big deal.

Get your combos down. All players have combos. And better combos. And use summoners in fight at right time. As, when do you use a combo against various champs. For example, as Cait a Yi was chasing me. He was close. Why didn't he use his gap closer? Because I'm going to pop my net when he does and get away. He was waiting for me to net so he could jump me. At least that's what I think was happening. As Taric I save my stun against Miss Fortune for when she starts her Ultimate and stun her out of it. These may not be the best examples, but they should get you thinking.

Gydeinn

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranshinibon View Post
I like this thread a lot. I have a question too: If i usually play characters that don't hold a dominant role what do I call in ranked matches.

I usually play Yorick or Evelynn and learned to play them very well, but don't know how they can really be called in a set up unless I'm in a premade and we all try and complement each other's choices
Are you asking about what position they can be played in? Yorick usually goes top, and Evelynn can go mid or jungle, though if you're going mid, remember, she and Katarina are competing for the title of Roaming Queen. Now that you mention it, though, try Yorick mid and tell me how that goes, same with Yorick + Soraka bot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDog7 View Post
A few things you'll never hear from the loudmouth crowd.

In order from easiest position to hardest:
1.Skill cap for bottom is stupid high. You have to watch your partner, and two enemies while farming.
2.Jungle is a little higher than bottom.... unless you use a guide to figure out creep order, build, and who is good in the jungle. Which you should.. It is harder to figure out jungle, which is why you use a guide. But the jungle is static. It doesn't change so once you get the hang of it, you are fine.
3.Middle is third hardest, bursty burst can kill you hard, skill shots everywhere.
4.Top is easiest. Bruisers pounding each other. Things can happen fast, but not as fast.
Well, it really depends on what you're ranking. Top is the easiest, mechanically speaking, with Mid being the hardest. If you want to give them a general rating this is what I've found:
1) Support; it's the easiest to pick up (anyone can sit back and send a heal or two the adc's way), but the hardest to master (You need excellent map awareness, you need to be able to refresh wards, know when and where the enemy places wards, how many they have, you need to know how to zone, poke, and keep the adc alive when he goes barreling in 1v2, and you don't get any recognition for your hard work. Oh, and you're on a budget.)
2) Mid; It's mechanically the hardest of all the lanes, and yours is the most important lane in the game because of its geography. It has a direct influence on both top lane, bot lane, as well as the jungle and dragon.
3) Jungle; Well, I'm sure you know what junglers have to do, so I'll save myself some time here.
4) ADC; I was about to put this at the bottom, but then I remembered you need some semblance of mechanics to play this role. It's one of the easiest roles in the game because the only thing support isn't doing for you is buying all your items, otherwise, the only thing separating a good adc from a great adc is kiting and positioning.
5) Top; No mechanics required (see: Dyrus), and only a bit of map awareness, and you're good to go.

rikoLash

02-13-2013

I feel like most decent players won't go down to Bronze V, I think your general map awareness and mechanics probably isn't where it needs to be yet, and you should just practice in normals before you dive in to Ranked again.

Zuil

02-13-2013

My luck with randoms just is bad. I was winning a game 33-17 team kills, and we had all their lanes pushed real good. Other team turns around and comes back winning.