What's the deal with Sejuani?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Invictrix

02-11-2013

To say that Sejuani is lackluster is a gross understatement. Elementz has her near the top of tier 4 competing with fiora, and stonewall has her at tier 4 in his jungle tier list competing with the horrible junglers like Master Yi, Volibear, and Tryndamere.

She is picked less than 2% of the time, but everyone I talk to who uses her talks my ear off about how underrated she is. Crumbzz even starts his guide for her with "an underrated jungler"

The riot reds on the other hand see her as sort of failure and want to give her a new passive among other things.

She is apparently a good counter to Hecarim according to champion select while being countered by Shyvana (like your gonna fight one in this meta.) She also has some issues against Caitlyn(with caitlyn being the queen of the carries this is a big deal) and Nami(basically a non issue).

So what does all this mean?

Well it could mean two things

1. She is actually lackluster and has an odd sort of cult following like Karma and twilight.

2. She is actually quite good, but has yet to be discovered like malphite once was.

Anyway feel free to share your thoughts I probably won't be dropping the 6300 ip for her until I see what exactly they are going to do to her passive.

Also chibi pig rider op

Thessalonike

02-11-2013

Here is the thing with Sejuani imo.

Players see her labeled tank and come in with an expectation from mmorpgs and want to sit in the middle of team fights soaking everything for the entire duration of the team fight. Then they read that all the other tanks have some sort of sustain. Once they fail miserably they immediately equate it to her lack of sustain.

The issue is none of the above. Like your adc that can run on hit, crit, as or whatever... like you can have types of mages, burst etc. You have different tanks because in this game they do more than soak damage. You have some that excel at soaking damage, others at disrupting, some at peeling, some at initiating and some at being a threat... being a threat can be more than just damage too.

Yea riot wants to change her to do what she does now only different because they can't explain outside of the forums the various roles of a tank and that they even planned on changing the term tank into something else.

They in part want to change her because players can't understand what they are doing wrong... except those few that took the time to figure it out.

Sigh, so depressing.

Iittala

02-11-2013

I love sej... She is an investment champ though you need her runes or else its just not that great. Actually i main her with the whole ban all the tanks meta. She has no need for a re-work at all. She is the only tank in the game with a dash (thats to escape not start. very common mistake) Her ult is a great stun.. She has plenty of CC to just make people cry.

She feels like a boar rider to me the changes riot wants to make just arn`t needed.

Thessalonike

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iittala View Post
I love sej... She is an investment champ though you need her runes or else its just not that great. Actually i main her with the whole ban all the tanks meta. She has no need for a re-work at all. She is the only tank in the game with a dash (thats to escape not start. very common mistake) Her ult is a great stun.. She has plenty of CC to just make people cry.

She feels like a boar rider to me the changes riot wants to make just arn`t needed.
If you didn't drop that in Meddlers thread.

Phantom 2k

02-12-2013

She's my best champ and I'll be quite sad if riot changes her.

I build her as "shredjuani".

Liandrys, sunfire, abyssal scepter, rylais.

All dat shred damage with her 'w', and she's tanky to boot, it's insane.

I play her solo top or support bot though, not jungle.

toasteros

02-12-2013

Sejuani is my go to jungle. Her ganking ability is fantastic and she can tank very well while still having the ability to clean up and cc with Permafrost. Even her W can put pressure on opponents. A well timed and placed Ult can turn a bad team fight into an ace for your team as well.

I thought she was mediocre until I spent some time learning to jungle with her. Now I enjoy jungling. Her passive is just right, its not enough of a slow that she gets banned right away or that it gets nerfed. But it's not supposed to be a "Right Click and win" passive. It needs to be used in tandem with your abilities. All it takes is one boop with your mace and you can slow your opponent and do significantly more damage to them as well.

Blaze86420

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iittala View Post

If her charge was only meant for escaping and not initiating then why does it set off her passive? You know, the slow?

My problem with Sejuani is that her kit doesn't mesh very well; her W does very little damage unless you max it first, and if you have any hope of keeping up you need to max this first, otherwise your clearing speed will be excruciatingly slow. Slow clearing speed means falling behind in EXP and gold, which means you won't be tanky at all, which is very bad for Sejuani because her base HP and armour is abysmal for a tank. And contrary to what littala said, Sejuani is supposed to spearhead a charge and be in the middle of a fight. That's why her charge sets off her passive, that's why three of her skills do AoE damage around her. Be logical.

Another thing: If you max your W first, you won't be able to level up your E much for the first ~10 minutes of the game, which is when you should be ganking. Her E does a 30% slow at level 1, that's not enough, you can easily walk away from that. So your kit forces you decide between staying alive and having a sliver of chance to gank successfully. This is not ideal.

There's nothing going for Sejuani besides her ultimate and Q. The slow from her E needs to be increased, that's the bare minimum for making Sejuani even remotely viable. Make the slow more effective at level 1, but have it scale less as you level up. It goes from 30 to 70 percent right now, make it 50 to 70 percent. I'm not sure if her W should do more damage, this risks making her both a fast clearing jungler and a good ganker, which would be OP. So buffing her E should be a good first step for now.

toasteros

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze86420 View Post
If her charge was only meant for escaping and not initiating then why does it set off her passive? You know, the slow?
I usually charge in, but I make sure I don't initiate. I usually wait until they are all in combat then charge, W, E then smack the appropriate people. At that point I can either run(because everyone is very slow) or stay in if we are doing well. I can also, ult and run/charge out(if its up) if things take a turn for the worse.

Just because you have a charge doesn't mean you are the best for starting fights!

Blaze86420

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by godliketoaster View Post
I usually charge in, but I make sure I don't initiate. I usually wait until they are all in combat then charge, W, E then smack the appropriate people. At that point I can either run(because everyone is very slow) or stay in if we are doing well. I can also, ult and run/charge out(if its up) if things take a turn for the worse.

Just because you have a charge doesn't mean you are the best for starting fights!
Sejuani is going to be the champion with the largest amount of crowd control on your team. Her ultimate is a textbook initiating ability. She is a tank. Why in the hell would you not initiate with her?

Peligrad

02-12-2013

Sanjuani's biggest issue IMO is that she does the same things as Amumu, but Amumu does it sooner in the game and hence basically better.

Sanjuani has a good kit for team fighting but lacks that innate tankiness that Amumu has in his tantrum and has only soft CC to Amumu's hard cc in bandage toss pre-6.
Their ults function basically exactly the same way, but Sanj gives them more time to respond for the trade off of a little harder CC.

But over all...Amumu is just a better version on Sanj.

Which makes Sanj not worth playing tbh...