How do you stop Garen top?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BearLogan

02-11-2013

It seems no matter who I play and even if I'm at an advantage, he just sits in the brush and heals with his ridiculous passive. It makes it so hard to trade on him, and his lack of mana lets him lane forever, I can't stand it. I guess what I'm saying is, even though I'm up, its still impossible to do well against him.

I'm not that good of a player, so please help.

MrDarkness12

02-11-2013

First kennen counters garen very hard, second just poke garen every time you see those green sparkles and you'll be fine

BardanJusik

02-11-2013

Truth is if the garen is good he won't be stopped. Unless you're playing teemo or kennen then he's completely and totally ****ed.

noxToken

02-11-2013

Just answered this question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarond
Want to counter Garen? Poke him at least every 10s. I grew up sucking from Garen's teat. The common factor of top laners that shut me down know that if you disable his passive, he's forced to play passively.

If you don't know, Garen's passive gives him 0.5% health regen of his maximum health if he hasn't taken damage. Translated, that's 15% of his maximum health every minion wave if you do not poke him. Any damage excluding minions will trigger the CD on his passive. This is a major factor in his strong lane presence. Poking him to keep the passive on CD will set him back considerably and almost always forces me to try to freeze the lane in range of my tower.

Edit: Also, why the silence nerf? Decisive Strike boosts his movement speed in addition to the silence. When it's cast, you're hear an audible sound, and Garen gives off a glow. This typically indicated that he's about to Silence-Spin-to-Win combo you. Like any champ, if he can get off a full combo, he's gonna shred your health.
To address your post specifically:

If he's hiding in the brush to recover, aggressively chase him down. He'll probably Decisive Strike-Spin-to-Win combo you if you go poking and his abilities aren't on CD, but if he's already hurt, chances are he'll use his movement speed boost to retreat.

Also, ward the brush. If you know what brush he is always retreating to, ward it so you can see his position. Use that knowledge as a tactical advantage.

Gnar Rango

02-11-2013

Long Story short: His passive requires a recharge for him to regain his HP on it's own. poke him even once, it's forced to reset back to it's full duration. Prevent the regen, save the cheerleader.

laxjoh

02-11-2013

Kite and harass. Garen can't do anything against a champ that can do that. If against Garen and my team comp allows it, I'll actually go Vayne solo top. No matter what item he builds, Garen will melt but you are VERY vulnerable. Also, ward aggressively if you plan to push lane. Garen is one of those champs that can catch you off guard and kill you within a few seconds if he snowballs.

ROKAF JE

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearLogan View Post
It seems no matter who I play and even if I'm at an advantage, he just sits in the brush and heals with his ridiculous passive. It makes it so hard to trade on him, and his lack of mana lets him lane forever, I can't stand it. I guess what I'm saying is, even though I'm up, its still impossible to do well against him.

I'm not that good of a player, so please help.

Teemo Yorick Jayce Elise Pantheon Kayle Cho'Gath Kennen Olaf Fiora

BardanJusik

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxjoh View Post
Kite and harass. Garen can't do anything against a champ that can do that. If against Garen and my team comp allows it, I'll actually go Vayne solo top. No matter what item he builds, Garen will melt
Thornmail. Vayne dies.

ROKAF JE

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardanJusik View Post
Thornmail. Vayne dies.

No, she doesn't.
Thornmail isn't good.

OreIsan

02-11-2013

Elise destroys Garen top.