Announcing the Collegiate Program

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LapizDragon

02-13-2013

Yes I'm so excited for this! We've already got 30+ people in communication with eachother over Facebook, and we're just pending administrator approval. We've got things set up for this weekend, we're going to rock this.

Metalic Vodoo

02-13-2013

ah no way taht is too cool

Njoldir

02-13-2013

This sucks for me, there are no clubs or groups in Daytona Beach (where I recently moved for college) so I was hoping to start this to maybe draw in some people and make some new friends that also enjoy to play league. I then saw that you really need to already have a bunch of people already talking to each other to start this so I guess ill cancel my club app beacuse I wanted to do this to make friends lol, I dont know anyone here.

YurdleTheTurtle

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo of Lies View Post
I don't dislike this game, and I still agree with this. Even assuming you somehow convinced the college to fund this, publicly announcing your involvement is not something you can do without feeling a bit ridiculous. There are plenty of ways to discover other players in your community without the problems that go along with having an official "club". Walk through your dorms, bring the game up in conversation with your friends.

And anyway, if we really did want to start a LoL club, we wouldn't need Riot's permission to do it. If I wanted my school to have a LoL club, I would have started one already. I really don't see the point of an announcement like this. If you think being in a LoL club will damage your social life (and it will), think about how you'll look participating in an intercollegiate championship. HINT: You'll look like a basement dweller.
Well if you keep thinking like that, then how else will video gaming get rid of its stigmatism and stereotypes?

I see a lot of potential here. Gaming's already come a long way and it's still going. Before it used to be "just for kids", now many players of all ages play games. Before there was no such thing as playing professionally, and look what's happening today.

Clubs for those interested is not a bad thing anyways. What I'm hoping is for people to eventually get a tournament going with proceeds going to donations. I had an idea in my head where it would grow large enough that we would have university vs university matches compete while raising awareness and funds for certain issues. It'd also be a fun way to poke at rivalries (Ex. Guelph vs Western).

Raef Wolfe

Recruiter

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoldir View Post
This sucks for me, there are no clubs or groups in Daytona Beach (where I recently moved for college) so I was hoping to start this to maybe draw in some people and make some new friends that also enjoy to play league. I then saw that you really need to already have a bunch of people already talking to each other to start this so I guess ill cancel my club app beacuse I wanted to do this to make friends lol, I dont know anyone here.
Try gathering interest at your school! Hang fliers, talk to your student government reps, talk to the student activities/campus activities/etc offices about recruiting people. You can probably gather up a group of folks pretty quickly

Osoe

02-13-2013

what about the homies in the hood? they want to play

My Mentality

02-13-2013

While people are complaining about their college not being on here, I was surprised to see the small-town college I attend on that list. Fun stuff

UberTacticool

02-14-2013

how come no town/city programs? if i was in college i wouldn't be playing much league (granted that im sure others may be able to balance both).

brooklyn/NY summoners, ASSEMBLE!!!

UberTacticool

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by YurdleTheTurtle View Post
Well if you keep thinking like that, then how else will video gaming get rid of its stigmatism and stereotypes?

I see a lot of potential here. Gaming's already come a long way and it's still going. Before it used to be "just for kids", now many players of all ages play games. Before there was no such thing as playing professionally, and look what's happening today.

Clubs for those interested is not a bad thing anyways. What I'm hoping is for people to eventually get a tournament going with proceeds going to donations. I had an idea in my head where it would grow large enough that we would have university vs university matches compete while raising awareness and funds for certain issues. It'd also be a fun way to poke at rivalries (Ex. Guelph vs Western).
how does socializing with people who have similar interests and forming friendships and bonds over them diminish or ruin ones social life?

the guy you quoted is obviously not too confident in himself. many of my friends and I are avid gamers and still lead normal to above average social lives and aren't any where near basement dwelling virgins.

the way to a good social life is confidence, good hygiene, and style/personality. if you think yourself a "loser" for doing something than why do it in the first place, others will only see you for how you portray yourself.

Dirtyclamjam

02-14-2013

This is an Awesome idea! Riot, you should set something up for ppl living on Army bases also, I'm stationed at a base and having something like this set-up would be wayyy cool