Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Questions about Xin

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gwyth

02-11-2013

Hi All,

So I hated Xin for the longest time (mostly because I never played him), but in this last free rotation, I've really learned to love Xin. I have some questions though that I would love to have input on.

What builds do you normally use for Xin? Speed into AD? AD into Speed? Tanky?

I know the above question is conditional upon the opponents, so if you could give examples of how you build against two AP and a tank or 2 tanks and a AD or something similar, I'd really appreciate it.

Do you normally initiate or hold back then clean up?

When you use your Ult?

Do you like using Cooldown reduction or no?

Are there neat ways to use his abilities to change up a fight?

Jax's dodge is an annoying thing to come up against with Xin, any ideas?

What runes do you prefer for Xin? What Masteries?

I know this is turning into a "Go google it." but I'd like to see some people who play in the current Twisted Treeline give some feedback.

Also, people who see Xin as a free kill, what do you see as his Achilles Heel? Do some Xin's seem to make up for those weaknesses? What bugs you the most about Xin?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Luego

02-11-2013

The only "xin trick" I find cool is dashing to a minion and then ulting someone back in a chosen direction.

Gwyth

02-11-2013

Quote:
Luego:
The only "xin trick" I find cool is dashing to a minion and then ulting someone back in a chosen direction.

That could be cool, like into a turret or something.

Love The Penis

02-11-2013

Xin is a real terror in the jungle. Typical build might be Grez's > Brutalizer > Phage > BC/Fromal/Sunfire/Randuins. Pretty much you should just build tanky, but you can change things up depending on your comp and theirs.

Gwyth

02-11-2013

I've got a question here, I know Grez's is a great item for taking down minions and a little life steal. Could you explain why that item seems to be "required" for Xin? Does it's use show things in bushes?

ZOMGTURTLE

02-11-2013

Quote:
Gwyth:
I've got a question here, I know Grez's is a great item for taking down minions and a little life steal. Could you explain why that item seems to be "required" for Xin? Does it's use show things in bushes?

Yes, Xin is often used to clear jungle camps in 3s, so it speeds up his clear and sustain. And yes, the active shows whatever area you put it on, including whatever is in any bushes in the area and any stealthed champs (Eve, Shaco, Akali when she's in her shroud, etc.) With no wards on TT, having a vision item is incredibly useful.

AndersMMO

02-11-2013

Usually I run Xin as a tanky initiator out of the jungle (IMO this is by far his best role)

Build:
> Cloth + Long Sword + 3 Potions
> Grez + Boots + Potions
> Phage
> Giant' Belt
> FroMal
> Either Brutlalizer/Youmuu's for Offense, or Warden's Mail/Negatron for Defense (building to Randuin's or Visage respectively)

IMO FroMal and Grez are his core, must-have, items.

Skills:
R>Q>E>W

Runes:
Apen Marks
Phys Quints
Flat Armour Seals
Flat MR Glyphs

Masteries:
9/21/0

Tips:
Usually when I play as an initiator, I'm using Xin as a sort of inordinately damage-heavy CC tank. The FroMal + your E makes you an extremely strong way-layer, and an unmatched peeler for your Carries. Typically, I'll use my ultimate as a last ditch effort to peel for my carry once they get gap closed to. CDR is typically unnecessary, and just ends up paling in comparison to the power you'd gain from other uses of that gold. The closest thing that you can consider an interesting use of skills in a team fight, is that f you position your ultimate correctly sometimes you can throw people over walls/ out of brushes leading to vision breaks and potential free wins.

Fun Fact / Pro Trick;
If you use your Grez's Active over walls to Wraiths/Golems/Wolves and hug the wall, you can E through and effectively use it as a flash-like escape mechanism.

Gwyth

02-11-2013

Quote:
Ânders:
Usually I run Xin as a tanky initiator out of the jungle (IMO this is by far his best role)

Build:
> Grez + Boots + Potions
> Phage
> Giant' Belt
> FroMal
> Either Brutlalizer/Youmuu's for Offense, or Warden's Mail/Negatron for Defense (building to Randuin's or Visage respectively)

Skills:
R>Q>E>W

Runes:
Apen Marks
Phys Quints
Flat Armour Seals
Flat MR Glyphs

Masteries:
9/21/0

Tips:
Usually when I play as an initiator, I'm using Xin as a sort of inordinately damage-heavy CC tank. The FroMal + your E makes you an extremely strong way-layer, and an unmatched peeler for your Carries. Typically, I'll use my ultimate as a last ditch effort to peel for my carry once they get gap closed to. CDR is typically unnecessary, and just ends up paling in comparison to the power you'd gain from other uses of that gold. The closest thing that you can consider an interesting use of skills in a team fight, is that f you position your ultimate correctly sometimes you can throw people over walls/ out of brushes leading to vision breaks and potential free wins.

Fun Fact / Pro Trick;
If you use your Grez's Active over walls to Wraiths/Golems/Wolves and hug the wall, you can E through and effectively use it as a flash-like escape mechanism.

Awesome post, thanks a lot! I loved the Fun Fact / Pro Trick. I'll definitely have to use that as I've been thinking it be nice to have another "escape" if I need to run away or get to an altar quickly or even cut off an enemy. Thanks a ton!

davidmcdavid

02-12-2013

Quote:
Ânders:

Build:
> Grez + Boots + Potions
> Phage
> Giant' Belt
> FroMal

Skills:
R>Q>E>W

Runes:
Apen Marks
Phys Quints
Flat Armour Seals
Flat MR Glyphs

Masteries:
9/21/0

Tips:

Fun Fact / Pro Trick;

1. always take O masteries. D masteries on xin is just plain dumb.
2. attack speed is how you own with xin. If you dont buy early attack speed or have AS runes you will just take too long to get your three talon strike in. So take at least AS marks in your runes build and the AS in the O masteries.
3. rushing FM, especially with D masteries means you do no damage. I dont even bother getting a lantern, just rush a blade of the ruined king. The slow active and lifesteal is whats up. You can get a FM after. This build also lets you solo VM right after.
4. xin is a auto attack champion, always get a black cleaver over ghost blade. period.
5. if you are gonna get a defensive item other than FM get a locket of iron solari. It gives good overall stats, plus the active is a big help for an all in champ like xin.

AndersMMO

02-12-2013

Quote:
davidmcdavid:
1. always take O masteries. D masteries on xin is just plain dumb.
2. attack speed is how you own with xin. If you dont buy early attack speed or have AS runes you will just take too long to get your three talon strike in. So take at least AS marks in your runes build and the AS in the O masteries.
3. rushing FM, especially with D masteries means you do no damage. I dont even bother getting a lantern, just rush a blade of the ruined king. The slow active and lifesteal is whats up. You can get a FM after. This build also lets you solo VM right after.
4. xin is a auto attack champion, always get a black cleaver over ghost blade. period.
5. if you are gonna get a defensive item other than FM get a locket of iron solari. It gives good overall stats, plus the active is a big help for an all in champ like xin.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the Plat player may know a little bit better about this than a L13...