Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

There are only 4 summoner spells to choose from in league.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tadeyoshi

02-11-2013

I downvoted because I think there are some point that are true but it simply removes the skill factor of the game. Summoned spells have a high cool down meant to be "trump cards" in a sense or last resort. The way you did it required less skill by playing the champ and relying more on them as high powered abilities. You're comparing summoner spells too much to champion abilities as they are meant to give balanced choices among everyone because no matter what champ you choose you can still choose and spell.
I think the ideas you propose make it so that it lowers the skillcap required. You mention that it would help with better plays, but higher level players already do this and once you remove the skill required it just puts everyone in the same place.

I agree though that barrier was too much of a joke in adding it to live games as it doesn't provide enough utility and I am not sure if it gains a bonus from masteries but now it doesn't have enough of a place among low level players. As a side note cleanse has always -or at least for over a year now- removed ignite and its effects. However I'm quite sure -as I don't run cleanse often- that it is just that the debuff animation above your champion does't get removed when you cleanse.

SeCKS Egai

02-11-2013

Quote:
Sachen:
This topic is about summoners rift. Also you shouldn't have a summoner spell that only works on 2 mabye 3 champions out of over 100.

The topic is about summoner spells in the SR forum. Ignoring the fact that a spell is more useful in a particular game mode fails is ignoring pertinent information as to why its viable in one situation (dom) vs another (SR).

All the spells "work" on all champs. What you should be focusing on is the discrepancy in value each of the spells have.

Flash would either need to be removed or gutted to the point of useless for it to disappear. It offers too much utility as both an offense and defensive positioning spell.

Ignite deals true damage as well as debuffing healing/regen. In SR it should be pretty apparent why this is so useful.

Smite - it's a jungler staple, not only does it help to secure buffs but also speed up jungle clear times.

Exhaust - it's the general debuff, so again, shouldn't be surprised this is common.

Cleanse - the long cd means folks can't rely on it to break every stun, but used effectively it can break the cc that would have otherwise gotten you killed.

Barrier - long cd makes it very unappealing as damage mitigation.

clairvoyance - the laning phase is better served with other spells, and as the laning phase has a huge impact on the rest of the game, taking this over another spell is hard to justify. Proper warding can really negate its usefulness as well.

Clarity - useful, but with skilled mana management, a player is better served with something else

Ghost - doesn't position instantly and doesn't get over walls like a flash. Not a bad choice pre level 12, and still viable on particular champs or in dom as mobility is so important.

Heal - I would guess it was better before I started. It's simply scales too weak to justify the long CD. If it worked more like a Soraka ult where a well-timed heal could turn the tide of a fight - then it be useful.

Tadeyoshi

02-11-2013

Quote:
xSeCKSx:
The topic is about summoner spells in the SR forum. Ignoring the fact that a spell is more useful in a particular game mode fails is ignoring pertinent information as to why its viable in one situation (dom) vs another (SR).

All the spells "work" on all champs. What you should be focusing on is the discrepancy in value each of the spells have.

Flash would either need to be removed or gutted to the point of useless for it to disappear. It offers too much utility as both an offense and defensive positioning spell.

Ignite deals true damage as well as debuffing healing/regen. In SR it should be pretty apparent why this is so useful.

Smite - it's a jungler staple, not only does it help to secure buffs but also speed up jungle clear times.

Exhaust - it's the general debuff, so again, shouldn't be surprised this is common.

Cleanse - the long cd means folks can't rely on it to break every stun, but used effectively it can break the cc that would have otherwise gotten you killed.

Barrier - long cd makes it very unappealing as damage mitigation.

clairvoyance - the laning phase is better served with other spells, and as the laning phase has a huge impact on the rest of the game, taking this over another spell is hard to justify. Proper warding can really negate its usefulness as well.

Clarity - useful, but with skilled mana management, a player is better served with something else

Ghost - doesn't position instantly and doesn't get over walls like a flash. Not a bad choice pre level 12, and still viable on particular champs or in dom as mobility is so important.

Heal - I would guess it was better before I started. It's simply scales too weak to justify the long CD. If it worked more like a Soraka ult where a well-timed heal could turn the tide of a fight - then it be useful.

This is a very realistic analysis of summoner spell in game an their usage. What people also don't know is how useful Clairvoyance can be. It has always been a tricky spell and hard to remember in a teamfight. But the biggest an most prominent of it's features that people don't utilize is that if you put it between a wall, you can then reveal both sides. With the mastery buff you can have them revealed for an additional duration and I believe it would be a larger range of vision if not simply more flexible than wards in some cases. It used to -and I'm not sure as I don't run support- reveal invisible units making it an easy counter to invisible champs in teamfights and such. It had been heavily influenced in my opinion by the scan from Starcraft in it's global utility and ability to reveal invisible champions.

SeCKS Egai

02-11-2013

Quote:
Tadeyoshi:
This is a very realistic analysis of summoner spell in game an their usage. What people also don't know is how useful Clairvoyance can be. It has always been a tricky spell and hard to remember in a teamfight. But the biggest an most prominent of it's features that people don't utilize is that if you put it between a wall, you can then reveal both sides. With the mastery buff you can have them revealed for an additional duration and I believe it would be larger or more useful than wards in some cases. It used to, and I'm not sure as I don't run support, but it used to reveal invisible units making it an easy counter to invisible champs in teamfights and such. It had been heavily influenced in my opinion by the scan from Starcraft in it's global utility and ability to reveal invisible champions.

Yeah if it revealed invis units, it would see more use - I haven't seen it regularly since season 1. Then again, stealth isn't anywhere close to as painful as it was season 1 either. I remember when I started playing again season 3 people were "demanding" that I take exhaust instead. Truth be told, timing the usage of the spell was difficult, at least as far as making it worthwhile. Hey I see the enemy jungler, but no one else is probably paying attention to make use of the information....

Jerk9003

02-11-2013

If you think there are only 4 widely used spells, you probably are in bronze.

Sachen

02-12-2013

The spells with green happy faces are actually great spells the ones with frowns are the ones that need some love. I originally had 4 spells with happy faced but i updated it since then although unfortunately i cannot change the title of the thread.

Sachen

02-12-2013

Bump