The problem with the new Ranked system is the Risk to Reward

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gladius Altra

02-11-2013

Simply put the system trys everything it can to put you down in ranking. It is 10x harder to maintain an elo now. Forget climbing.

Here is why:
1: Promotion series. I like the idea i really do but there are a few problems with it. First and for most and most glaring is the fact that there is no promotion series for dropping. The game just goes oh hay you lost one more game then you won in this Division? Well ill just drop you down so you have to win 5+ games in a row in order to make up for that ONE LOSE. A system that punishes a player for playing will drive away customer as I and many others are just about done with Ranked (the only reason many people keep coming back). Also losing these series should not drop you all the way down to 50 thats way to much.

2.) Padding. I don't remember the official name but lets call it padding for now. Basically the closer you get to going up a Division the less LP you get this is to discourage someone from getting into a higher Division because of a lucky winning streak. Ive heard of some people getting as low as +1-5 LP for wins then -20 for loses. I do not believe there is such a thing as a luck streak seeing as you had to do something. And you are just as likely to be on the opposite end of it. So if Riot recognizes Luck as being a key player in Ranked games why is there no padding effect for lose streak? Seriously you cant have an inconsistency like that.

TLR The current system makes it very unrewarding to win and horribly punishing to lose.

IS13c7fafe7804f7429d10e

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius Altra View Post
Simply put the system trys everything it can to put you down in ranking. It is 10x harder to maintain an elo now. Forget climbing.
Elo != Divison != Tier

You can maintain your elo just fine.

Gladius Altra

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS17804f7429d10e View Post
Elo != Divison != Tier

You can maintain your elo just fine.
I won a net of 5 games in a night then lose a net of 6 the next night. Was dropped a Tier. Won 7 games got promoted a tier. Net+6 same Tier and LP as when i started. How is this system fair again?

Dewtrocity

02-11-2013

The new elo system makes it to where if you deserve a higher elo you will get it because you will win often, however if you don't deserve the higher elo you won't be getting it just buy winning a few lucky games. Also it doesn't allow you to drop tiers and is a bit harder to lose divisions on so it somewhat removes the stress and makes it to where you won't lose a bunch of divisions for having a bad day.

Dewtrocity

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius Altra View Post
I won a net of 5 games in a night then lose a net of 6 the next night. Was dropped a Tier. Won 7 games got promoted a tier. Net+6 same Tier and LP as when i started. How is this system fair again?
Your elo is now higher and you will earn more LP for wins and lose less for losses in the future.

Stripper Steve

02-11-2013

The biggest flaw I see with it is the advancement/promotional series. I say this because during these matches that make or break your advancement you're placed with other players that are not on this series. If you are asked to grind out 100 LP and then win a best of series you should be playing that best of series with other players who have done the same and are like minded approaching the game.

In it's current format you could be placed with players in Div V of your tier with 0 LP that don't care if they win or lose, or could even be angry that they've hit 0 LP and are just looking to troll. This is flawed. Even if the queue timer was greatly increased for promotional series advancement I believe that most players would much rather wait than face losing due to matchmaking trolls.

It would say a lot to change this, and make these games fair on both sides by removing the RNG of it.

zBluRrYz

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluv View Post
The biggest flaw I see with it is the advancement/promotional series. I say this because during these matches that make or break your advancement you're placed with other players that are not on this series. If you are asked to grind out 100 LP and then win a best of series you should be playing that best of series with other players who have done the same and are like minded approaching the game.

In it's current format you could be placed with players in Div V of your tier with 0 LP that don't care if they win or lose, or could even be angry that they've hit 0 LP and are just looking to troll. This is flawed. Even if the queue timer was greatly increased for promotional series advancement I believe that most players would much rather wait than face losing due to matchmaking trolls.

It would say a lot to change this, and make these games fair on both sides by removing the RNG of it.
But then i'd play people who were also in promotions and not have easy wins xD

Fukaro

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewtrocity View Post
The new elo system makes it to where if you deserve a higher elo you will get it because you will win often, however if you don't deserve the higher elo you won't be getting it just buy winning a few lucky games. Also it doesn't allow you to drop tiers and is a bit harder to lose divisions on so it somewhat removes the stress and makes it to where you won't lose a bunch of divisions for having a bad day.
but it increases stress because you better hope to god no one trolls in your placement matches or afks.

Gladius Altra

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewtrocity View Post

Huh? Did you not read my post? It is way to easy to lose a division in the current system. I went a whole -1 w/l ratio when i was Silver I because of a couple unlucky games and got dropped to silver 2. Where I won 5-6 games just to make up for that ONE LOSE. There is no padding effect for losing elo. only for gaining that is broken

Stripper Steve

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBluRrYz View Post
But then i'd play people who were also in promotions and not have easy wins xD
It's a double edged sword my friend. I'd rather not put it up to chance, personally.

At least up to a certain rank I'd say that my post is viable. I wouldn't think it would make sense to do this in top tiers, but up through gold I'd say it's worthy.