Care to rate my build? Max of $600.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ESF ViseVersa

02-11-2013

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CzpT

There is my preferred build as of now, if you guys could give any opinions or other recommendations, please do so. Reasons there are not any PSU or GPU is because i currently have a Corsair 550W PSU and a Geforce GTX550 ti. I know its not the "best" card obviously but its gotten the job done so far.

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2013

Why are you dropping 40 dollars on a CPU cooler when Intel provides one rated for it specifically? Could put that elsewhere, get a higher clocked i5 or more RAM.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

02-11-2013

That processor is absolutely worthless with the video card you have....

It would be like trying to drive a Ferrari around on flat tires. The Ferrari being the processor, the flat tires being your 550 Ti.

Let me help you out with a great budget build.....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.21 @ Amazon)
Total: $623.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-11 15:56 EST-0500)

Sell your 550 Ti, get the above system. This thing has HUGE gaming capability for the money. You can OC the processor if you like, and the video card is a slightly tuned down AMD 7950. With a little overclock on it, it can beat a factory clocked 7950. Additionally the AMD Pile Driver CPU's, the 4300 and other x3xxx series are right at Intel Sandy Bridge levels. The Xigmatek cooler is the same thing as the Cooler Master Evo, just with Xigmatek's name on it, it works great. The case has awesome cable management for being so low cost, as well as great air flow. The memory I selected I like as it is one of the few that are hand tested before leaving, sot he odds of getting a bad module on delivery are pretty low as well.

Surakai

02-11-2013

I don't see any reason to get a FX-4300 when a FX-6300 is only $10 more, the i3 is the same price for significantly stronger individual cores, and the phenom 965 is around $95 for about the same performance as the 4300. Phenom 965 has a AM3 socket so you can fit it in an AM3+ motherboard for the possibility of upgrading the CPU later.

The GPU ultimately depends on what games you plan on playing and what graphics you plan on playing them at. If you are only playing games like starcraft2 and LoL, then there is nothing wrong with sticking with the 550 Ti and getting whatever the hell processor you want. Never seen anyone actually not recommend the i5 lmao. Sure, it could be overkill especially for lower budgets but we have no idea what you plan on using your PC for which is a problem.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surakai View Post
I don't see any reason to get a FX-4300 when a FX-6300 is only $10 more, the i3 is the same price for significantly stronger individual cores, and the phenom 965 is around $95 for about the same performance as the 4300. Phenom 965 has a AM3 socket so you can fit it in an AM3+ motherboard for the possibility of upgrading the CPU later.

The GPU ultimately depends on what games you plan on playing and what graphics you plan on playing them at. If you are only playing games like starcraft2 and LoL, then there is nothing wrong with sticking with the 550 Ti and getting whatever the hell processor you want. Never seen anyone actually not recommend the i5 lmao. Sure, it could easily be overkill but we have no idea what you plan on using your PC for which is somewhat of a problem.
The 6300 wasn't added because I was already $20 over his budget, though that is a viable option.

Also, the i3 doesn't have significantly stronger IPC, translating into significantly stronger individual core performance. AMD's Pile Driver more or less caught up to Intel's Sandybridge, and the performance difference between Pile Driver and Ivy Bridge is pretty marginal. The cost premium between the two certainly doesn't justify what little performance difference there is between them.

The other benefit of going with AMD and their AM3+ platform is they have committed at least 2 more years to having product on that socket. Intel has already moved away from their 1155 socket, what the current SB and IB "i" series run on, and with the release of Haswell in the next month or two will be onto 1150 socket. Essentially 1155 is a dead end socket, and outside of current offerings, would require a new board and build to upgrade from. As where with AM3+ we still have a couple of years to go.

Additionally it isn't that I am just not recommending i5 for no reason, I have very specific reasons for not recommending it. Refer back to my Ferrari with flat tires; why spend over $200 on a processor if you can't get a video card to support it? That is a complete and total waste of money.

Building a system isn't about cramming in the highest end processor and pairing it with a low end GPU, or cramming in a high end GPU and pairing it with a low end CPU. It is about finding a balance where you have optimized the performance of the system at the desired cost. Frankly you can play Star Craft II with one of AMD's APUs, either the current Trinity based, or the up and coming Richland based. As for what he is going to use his system for, that doesn't require a lot of imagination to make an educated guess. Considering where he is asking, and what he originally chose, he will be gaming among your every day tasks. With such knowledge the system I put together would be capable of running any game on respectable settings at 1080P.

Tragalo

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
The 6300 wasn't added because I was already $20 over his budget, though that is a viable option.

Also, the i3 doesn't have significantly stronger IPC, translating into significantly stronger individual core performance. AMD's Pile Driver more or less caught up to Intel's Sandybridge, and the performance difference between Pile Driver and Ivy Bridge is pretty marginal. The cost premium between the two certainly doesn't justify what little performance difference there is between them.

The other benefit of going with AMD and their AM3+ platform is they have committed at least 2 more years to having product on that socket. Intel has already moved away from their 1155 socket, what the current SB and IB "i" series run on, and with the release of Haswell in the next month or two will be onto 1150 socket. Essentially 1155 is a dead end socket, and outside of current offerings, would require a new board and build to upgrade from. As where with AM3+ we still have a couple of years to go.

Additionally it isn't that I am just not recommending i5 for no reason, I have very specific reasons for not recommending it. Refer back to my Ferrari with flat tires; why spend over $200 on a processor if you can't get a video card to support it? That is a complete and total waste of money.

Building a system isn't about cramming in the highest end processor and pairing it with a low end GPU, or cramming in a high end GPU and pairing it with a low end CPU. It is about finding a balance where you have optimized the performance of the system at the desired cost. Frankly you can play Star Craft II with one of AMD's APUs, either the current Trinity based, or the up and coming Richland based. As for what he is going to use his system for, that doesn't require a lot of imagination to make an educated guess. Considering where he is asking, and what he originally chose, he will be gaming among your every day tasks. With such knowledge the system I put together would be capable of running any game on respectable settings at 1080P.
Pretty much this ^^, the IPC advantage of IB over Piledriver is still a bit, however with the OC of the piledriver it overcomes this issue. I would recommend an FX-6300 if he can swing it.

ESF ViseVersa

02-11-2013

Trying to avoid AMD processors, im more of an intel kinda guy. About the 550ti i already stated that im not too worried about it atm i can alway upgrade later but you have to see it from my standpoint my current desktop that im running as we speak is an AMD 9150e Quad Core @ 1.8 GHz, 4G RAM with 0 OC capability. So as far as i can tell, the parts i chose are a much needed upgrade. I did consider that MB so i cant blame you on that, and as far as RAM and Storage go imho it personal pref. Thnx for the posts guys i really do appreciate it. =D Ill look into the setup you suggested. BTW I mostly play GW2, LoL, Dayz, Mechwarior Online, ect....

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Why must you always buy from eleventy kajillion different sites? PC Parts Picker or whatever is nice I guess, but it would be so much easier to break it down into one or two distributors. Like Newegg and Amazon. Yeah in this particular example it doesn't apply so much, but other builds you've listed (although good) have I swear come from 6 different places. One being Microcenter which they themselves are featured only in a handful of cities.

/rantoff
Something that just bugged me a bit that's all.

Thessalonike

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESF ViseVersa View Post
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CzpT

There is my preferred build as of now, if you guys could give any opinions or other recommendations, please do so. Reasons there are not any PSU or GPU is because i currently have a Corsair 550W PSU and a Geforce GTX550 ti. I know its not the "best" card obviously but its gotten the job done so far.
If you are not going to over clock drop the CPU cooler and even though ram is cheap go with 1600 because (again) unless you are over clocking the ram you chose is just gonna get dumbed down.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESF ViseVersa View Post
Trying to avoid AMD processors, im more of an intel kinda guy. About the 550ti i already stated that im not too worried about it atm i can alway upgrade later but you have to see it from my standpoint my current desktop that im running as we speak is an AMD 9150e Quad Core @ 1.8 GHz, 4G RAM with 0 OC capability. So as far as i can tell, the parts i chose are a much needed upgrade. I did consider that MB so i cant blame you on that, and as far as RAM and Storage go imho it personal pref. Thnx for the posts guys i really do appreciate it. =D Ill look into the setup you suggested. BTW I mostly play GW2, LoL, Dayz, Mechwarior Online, ect....
Any reason you are trying to avoid them?

There is nothing wrong with them, and they are perfectly capable, especially the Pile Driver based ones. Typically I find that when someone wants to stay away from them it is because they are ill-informed.

By the way, I am currently running a 2500K at 4.6Ghz with a 7970. My recommendation isn't due to some bias, but that of ~20 years of experience in hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstcase View Post
Why must you always buy from eleventy kajillion different sites? PC Parts Picker or whatever is nice I guess, but it would be so much easier to break it down into one or two distributors. Like Newegg and Amazon. Yeah in this particular example it doesn't apply so much, but other builds you've listed (although good) have I swear come from 6 different places. One being Microcenter which they themselves are featured only in a handful of cities.

/rantoff
Something that just bugged me a bit that's all.
I only use Part Picket because it provides a clean presentation, I personally buy everything from one vendor, maybe two. That is almost exclusively Newegg and Amazon.