A New Forum Dawns!

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Icraig33

02-10-2013

In recent times, I've noticed that a good portion of you don't seem to be enjoying this forum at the moment, or at least, not as much as you used to. So I've decided to make a champion concepts forum called "Champcrafter" (name not final) for you guys to join. Seeing as this will be an actual forum, as opposed to a sub-category of a larger forum, it will have much more dedication put into it. Some of this forum's current features include:

- More protection against trolls and spam.
- More organized navigation, allowing you to access specific champion types more easily.
- Basic champion indexes built into everyone's profile for you to keep track of all your creations
- easy transitions from the champs on this site to Champcrafter (due to the scripting being pretty much the same), in case you want to import your champs
- Upload your own custom avatars and signatures!

Now, keep in mind that this website is pretty recent, meaning that it isn't quite perfect. I still might potentially need a couple moderators to help out later on and there is still a bunch of work to do on it/ a lot of potential features that have yet to be added. However, I personally believe that it's currently in a state where people can join. Consider this a bit of a beta test.

So, without further ado, come take a look around Champcrafter!
http://champcrafter.forumotion.com/

ElementSteel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2013

Well. I'll say that certainly is a good movement. I think I might go into that, because honestly this forum just feels toxic at times. :|

Anyway, good work and good on ya, ICraig.

Nazrethim

02-10-2013

Me taking a look at the forum, when wild thread appears:
"A New forum Dawns!"
-mmm.. sounds interesting... lets see...
reading...
reading...
-Aaaawwwww yeaah!

Icraig33

02-10-2013

I'm glad that people seem to like the idea so far. I was thinking on the idea for a good while now, but after reading a certain flamewar in a certain thread (of which I will not name), I figured this would be the best time to do this.

ElementSteel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2013

Yur, again thanks for making it an alternative. Will it just be for champs though? What about map concepts or skins? At the very least, it feels like maps should have their own place there. A few decent ones have been made I'd say to warrant their own place.

Nysta

02-11-2013

I have just checked it out and.. well you have forums for each type of champion.. this might be a problem due to champion usually belonging into multiple types. Say I got my champion to be a Top laner and Jungler.. well anyways, if possible I would rather have there be tags you can check and only display champions that have these tags.. well sure tag spamming.. but I think tag spamming will be seen and prohibited.

Icraig33

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkof View Post
If it were me, I'd reserve it for people that are actually good at champcrafting. If you just let anyone join nilly willy, it'll pretty much be the same thing as the forums here *cough cough cats cough*. There needs to be tight moderation by trusted individuals and a sort of screening for members to be able to post, quite possibly done through the player concept forum. Like, have a test be "make a champion complete with lore and skills" or "post your compendium" and if they show that they have potential, let em in. If they're new, they will need to learn, and that will be the purpose of the player concept forum. But that's just me. If you really want to make it a better place, you need to get rid of the cruddy 6 line concepts and people who just don't learn. Only let people join who are truly interested in development, not purely recognition.

I know this sounds a lot like a "champcrafting guild" with an application process, but that's one of the best ways to filter out the detritus. Call me elitist and you wouldn't be wrong.
I do see what you are talking about, but in my personal opinion, that's not the kind of behaviour I'm intending. If I'm super selective about who gets in, then it will limit growth, and limited growth is what breaks forum communities (hell, I saw a forum get shut down due to lack of people frequenting it first hand.). Plus, considering there is a whole separate forum just for guides and advice at Champcrafter, that makes it a more accommodating place for people starting out, if you know what I mean.

Also, I like the idea of making tags rather than separate forums and will look into it. In the meantime, I have school to attend to

Bliztron

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkof View Post
If it were me, I'd reserve it for people that are actually good at champcrafting. If you just let anyone join nilly willy, it'll pretty much be the same thing as the forums here *cough cough cats cough*. There needs to be tight moderation by trusted individuals and a sort of screening for members to be able to post, quite possibly done through the player concept forum. Like, have a test be "make a champion complete with lore and skills" or "post your compendium" and if they show that they have potential, let em in. If they're new, they will need to learn, and that will be the purpose of the player concept forum. But that's just me. If you really want to make it a better place, you need to get rid of the cruddy 6 line concepts and people who just don't learn. Only let people join who are truly interested in development, not purely recognition.

I know this sounds a lot like a "champcrafting guild" with an application process, but that's one of the best ways to filter out the detritus. Call me elitist and you wouldn't be wrong.

Requiring an activated account to post also keeps the advertising spammer bots out.

As for the actual forum setup, I agree with Nysta in that you shouldn't separate out by role and should rather use a tag system (if the website design permits). Some champions (like Gragas, Kassadin, or Sion) that were originally designed for one role actually fit better in other roles.

Overall, this is best thing that could happen right now as long as it takes care of the flagrant issues present in this forum.
I don't believe this is the best course of action to take, as it holds back the growth of the community. Isaiah's whole purpos of making this is to have a more protected, organized forum from what we have now. Riot is too busy to protect the posters here from trolls, or actively take part in the community's establishment. That was why the CCFC formed, but it can only do so much. This new forum will be run by moderators to better provide a enjoyable enviroment for all people who wish to actively attend.

Void22

02-11-2013

Interesting. Yes, it would definitely be nice to have a forum where one could get and give serious review without fear of trolls and flamers. Thanks.

The5lacker

02-11-2013

And now Riot can't use the Champion Concepts forum as a barometer for the general wants of the community. Huzzah.

Alternatively, we can ignore the trolls and just work on our own concepts, giving out feedback where needed. That's still an option, you know.

12345 ... 6