WARNING: Click to Activate Items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crusade

12-02-2009

First off i'd like to say that LoL is a very well developed game, and i am a 7 year veteran of AoS games. (DoTA) I've played them all, and have seen the progression of DoTA.

With that being said, the first thing that really caught my attention in League of Legends, was the fact that there were no "Click to Activate" items. This was a blessing, as "Click to Activate" items detract from the uniqueness of each individual character. Characters start becoming very generic, the game then becomes more about just buying the "Click to Activate" items.

I was reading the new patch notes, and im sure everyone has noticed the new "Click to Activate" items. Now while items that need to be activated are not always bad, i would just like to extend a warning out to Riot, and the community. Please dont turn LoL into a farmfest for "Click to activate" items. Please proceed with caution, and limit the power and number of items that are "Click to Activate".

ConeEtho

12-03-2009

"Click to activate" items are not the best items in DotA. People go far more frequently to passive items, like Battlefury, butterfly and Heart, than to things like Dagon. Active itens are far from overpowered or required there.

So no, they are not a problem there, and similarly they won't be a problem here either.

Jaymz

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeEtho View Post
"Click to activate" items are not the best items in DotA. People go far more frequently to passive items, like Battlefury, butterfly and Heart, than to things like Dagon. Active itens are far from overpowered or required there.

So no, they are not a problem there, and similarly they won't be a problem here either.
I wouldn't say Dagon was the most popular clickable item. I would have said Boots of Travel, Manta Style, or Lothers Edge. These items are very popular, but it's always situational. I feel as long as Riot doesn't make them a "must-have" vs certain roll classes then it should be alright.

JayceJa

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymz View Post
I wouldn't say Dagon was the most popular clickable item. I would have said Boots of Travel, Manta Style, or Lothers Edge. These items are very popular, but it's always situational. I feel as long as Riot doesn't make them a "must-have" vs certain roll classes then it should be alright.
except you missed guinsoo's scythe of vise, which was THE best item in the game, another 2 second disable you can grab on any champion along with loads of mana and regen, heck, even 10 strength for a little more health

i don't think it's the use of clickable items that detracts uniqueness, its the purpose and type of them

as soon as there are clickable items that are strong enough for everyone to get, that will detract from gameplay
I'm talking about things like disables on items, or blink, or magic immune which were the three items in dota that could be seen without doubt at least one of each on each team in every high end game

God SoRcuS

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceJa View Post
except you missed guinsoo's scythe of vise, which was THE best item in the game, another 2 second disable you can grab on any champion along with loads of mana and regen, heck, even 10 strength for a little more health

i don't think it's the use of clickable items that detracts uniqueness, its the purpose and type of them

as soon as there are clickable items that are strong enough for everyone to get, that will detract from gameplay
I'm talking about things like disables on items, or blink, or magic immune which were the three items in dota that could be seen without doubt at least one of each on each team in every high end game
But isn't that what Quicksilver Sash and Deathfire Grasp are exactly doing?

JayceJa

12-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by God SoRcuS View Post
But isn't that what Quicksilver Sash and Deathfire Grasp are exactly doing?
i have yet to see a single quicksilver sash oddly enough, but my thoughts on it are this; its a single cleanse every minute, so it offers little protection from a team with more than one disable they can chain, and being a pure MR item makes it more of a dead-weight slot when you could get something like banshees instead

as for deathfires, it was meant to be a more situational anti-tank item than it currently is, which i feel is just because its stats are too desirable combined with the strength of the active
a little nerfing would make it still great for countering tanks as casters, but not a first choice for all casters even against non-tanks

God SoRcuS

12-05-2009

But, I still feel that LOL is heading towards where DotA is but just that in a different direction. Almost all new heroes who are introduced have CC's well maybe not Corki, but you get the drift. Now there are clickable items,yes. But LOL is not even close to where DotA is in the number of heroes and other effects as such. When players cried for wards, the cheaper sight wards were introduced. I really don't see how they are doing it any better. Well, they are doing it differently thats for sure. But is it a revolutionary way? Absolutely not. Each element added into this game makes it leaning towards DotA more and more(Not that it's a bad thing) But I feel that it's not long until we see items which damage(Dagon) silence(Orchid) in the game to be honest.

So altogether, I am still a DotA fan and I welcome the changes but to anyone who thinks that LOL is uber different from DotA. I hate to disagree, I sense were going towards it.

JayceJa

12-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by God SoRcuS View Post
But, I still feel that LOL is heading towards where DotA is but just that in a different direction. Almost all new heroes who are introduced have CC's well maybe not Corki, but you get the drift. Now there are clickable items,yes. But LOL is not even close to where DotA is in the number of heroes and other effects as such. When players cried for wards, the cheaper sight wards were introduced. I really don't see how they are doing it any better. Well, they are doing it differently thats for sure. But is it a revolutionary way? Absolutely not. Each element added into this game makes it leaning towards DotA more and more(Not that it's a bad thing) But I feel that it's not long until we see items which damage(Dagon) silence(Orchid) in the game to be honest.

So altogether, I am still a DotA fan and I welcome the changes but to anyone who thinks that LOL is uber different from DotA. I hate to disagree, I sense were going towards it.
well, one thing that i remember someone from riot saying(think it was guinsoo) was that they did not want a disabling item, and wanted limited amounts of in battle spell items

they could have changed since then, but otherwise i think we will see items more along the lines of the sword of divinity(think thats the one, the active that provides evasion ignoring and armor pen when activated) that are nice active effects but less gamechanging effects than a guinsoos' scythe or a black king bar
that personally is where it should be headed i think

though to be sure on where they actually are headed, someone would have to ask riot themselves

GNOY

12-05-2009

All hail mighty HEX. All hail necrobook

ConeEtho

12-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceJa View Post

If you make Guinso for anything but casters in DotA you have been playing wrong. And even for casters it is not always a good item.

Some Non-activated items are by far more popular, and useful, like Battlefury and Mkb for melee heroes, Heart for strength heroes, etc.

Anyways, DotA aside, the false assertion of the OP is that activated items, being better, are mandatory and detract from the variety desired for this game.

This is wrong firstly, because they are not better as implemented at this point, neither in DotA, nor in LoL. Secondly because they are anything but mandatory. I see one in a blue moon at the moment in LoL. They are hardly what I would call extremely popular.