At champion select....

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eyemite

02-10-2013

Picking to win or picking what you really want to play because it's fun, and does it matter just as long as you are "playing" to win while not trolling with your build.

Sometimes I feel like i'm in this situation wanting to pick a champ top or bot that is not necessarily the strongest, but am tired of playing the same 10-15 champs just because they are stronger. Thoughts?

SirLucious LftFt

02-10-2013

i think people should play whatever champ they want as long as it fits the role, like someone may like TF who is hard to make work from what ive seen. They shouldnt pik him when the team is already too squishy for example and the team needs a tank. If the team needs a mage top, even more specificaly if a mage with an easy hitting stun synergizes particularly well, then i see no problem whatsoever with the pick.

so if the champ fits a role that the team needs then i think its fine. Its when a team needs a mage top or a bot and someone picks up thresh or somthing that is a problem.

some champs i just hate to see like tryn or udyr top, sure they can work but i dont wanna be the one of the team tryn to do it. But there are only a handful of champs i think like that on.

konfetarius

02-10-2013

Meh. I don't mind "weak" champions. I mind weak compositions. Nearly every assassin is "viable" in solo queue, for example, but if your team consists entirely of assassins you are going to get 2 vs 4'd by a Garen/Brand or something.

You don't "need" to have Amumu every game, but having an Amumu/Alistar/Moakai/Leona/Sejuani/Nautilius/etc. really, really helps because of the role they fulfill.

Palladine

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetarius View Post
Meh. I don't mind "weak" champions. I mind weak compositions. Nearly every assassin is "viable" in solo queue, for example, but if your team consists entirely of assassins you are going to get 2 vs 4'd by a Garen/Brand or something.
Exactly this. I see this at kind of mid ELO constantly. People pick 4 high-damage squishy picks, then wonder why they don't win team-fights.

I think the key to avoiding this is to minimize the amount of people who are viable targets for burst damage in top-side teamfights. It seems like it is a big difference between 2-3 top being squishy and targetable compared to only one being squishy and targetable.

Also, bot lane doesn't have to be tanky, but a squishy bot lane needs to be appropriately careful and adjust strategy in the defensive direction accordingly if there's dangerous enemies that are actively ganking bot.