Magic Pen vs. Revive Mastery

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Waii Nosferatu

02-09-2013

In the past I would easily run 9-21 for Tanky AP champs but now that revive is on the utility tree, I am torn between the 8% Spell Pen vs 220-560 (200 + 20*lvl) of hp when reviving. How are my fellow summoners dealing with this? Do you run 0-21-9 instead or a mix? Thoughts?

DiscworldDeath

02-09-2013

Take the %pen.

Revive mastery is less important now, and if you really want it, run 9-17-4 or 9-20-1. The real meat of the defense tree is in its midst.

Tanky APs work because their base damages are rather high, so take %pen.

HaIfhearted

02-09-2013

Like Disc, I've been running 9/20/1 now when I want to spec into the defense tree.

Koravel

02-09-2013

Run 9-20-1. Having that extra hp is crucial in many situations- bot lane that goes double.

naotasan

02-10-2013

I play 9-0-21 as AP quite well

VoidInsanity

02-10-2013

The spellpen and the HP from revive are far better than a flat 3% less damage taken. 3% less damage taken is worth around 15hp per 500hp, it is really not that much at all.

Rewenger

02-10-2013

Flat hp revive bonus is HUGE. 2 minutes +500 hp at lvl 18. It is tremendous amount. No other mastery can compete with it.

IMTOOJUICY

02-10-2013

OMG fml... i didn't notice the revive mastery moving over to utility tree for season 3... ahahahha, lack of reading ftl...

NavyGothic

02-10-2013

Keep in mind 3% damage reduction is basically the same as +3 armour, +3 resist (well, actually it's a bit more because of % pen effects). It's pretty good for a single point, but worth more than the Utility summoner mastery? No, probably not.

lbgsloan

02-10-2013

The bonus health from the Revive mastery outweighs any single point, except for the pen masteries. I've been running 10/19/1 on tanks, supports, and mages who aren't building past 200 or so AP, and 21/8/1 or 21/0/9 on the rest in S3. Even if used right at level 4, the revive health far surpasses the benefit from Honor Guard or Veteren's Scars.

Utility, IMO, simply isn't worth going past 9 points on Dominion unless you are a mana tank. The middle of the tree is far too heavily designed for 0 CS SR supports.