Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Experimenting with HP Bars

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ragequitternob

Recruiter

02-10-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:

Here's Yorick with 4k

Hmm... why on earth do all of the images here get compressed. Looks worse this way.

respound to this the resolution ( no comment god like low res ) and remind me that the hp bar can be very confusing ? cause many of us are used to 100 hp per bar and is going to need quite a bit of time to get used to 200 hp per bar . Agreed that it would be good for early game estimation but late game would be pretty terrible just look at the picture of yorick ....

edit: pretty damn ridicolous after trying with the new hp bar on squishy (ie sona, viegar, etc) everything with very low hp at start would seem ridicolously squishy and easily focus down. but the system works best maybe around 6 to 14 but after that the scaling starts to get off again

Å tunnah

02-10-2013

It might be that the image is too small, but I think that the half-ticks are really difficult to see at higher health values. I'm fine with the 1000 HP line, and the half-ticks looked alright for lower health values. Out of curiosity, what exactly is the goal with this change? Well, I guess I understand the thick 1000 HP line, but I don't quite understand what's being accomplished with making each bar signify 200 health.

Crystal Nexus

02-10-2013

Quote:
Zielmann:
Screenshots automatically save in .png format. Seems to me they should save as .jpg files instead. OR Riot could get somebody to modify the limits in the file manager so that .png files are limited only by filesize and not physical size (or at least choose a higher limit that makes them a size worth viewing).

That the pictures are saved as png files is fine. Because so they have the best quality.
Instead Riot should remove the resolution limitation of the pictures like you said.

TheXthDoctor

02-10-2013

I think in the long run it's a little deceptive, especially after being used to the 100 hp marks. It really only seems to make a difference when the hp bar gets to ~2500, anything below that just looks kind of awkward with how few marks there are.

I AM SO KAWAII

02-10-2013

I personally feel switching to 200hp bars is a little drastic and will only confuse and frustrate people. However, having the notches at every 100hp would solve the problem of early game confusion and i think that it is a really good idea. The idea of having thick lines at every 1k hp is also a great idea to making reading hp easy early and late game. However, if some people feel the notches will create too much clutter, (which i do not think they do, the 4k hp Yorick was really easy to read for me) perhaps have the 100hp notches fade out once the person achieves a certain threshold of hp. For example, by the time a Yorick reaches 4k hp the 100hp notches are pointless and hardly visible anyways. So you could just have them disappear once they reach 4k hp since they are hard to see anyways and make it easier to read for the people who feel they make it seem cluttered at 4k hp.

Zielmann

02-10-2013

Quote:
Crystal Nexus:
That the pictures are saved as png files is fine. Because so they have the best quality.
Instead Riot should remove the resolution limitation of the pictures like you said.

Yeah, the quality is definitely better. I'd just like to see a change made on either side so that the screenshots are compatible, in a sense, with attaching them to posts on the forums.

Quote:
AokCows:
I personally feel switching to 200hp bars is a little drastic and will only confuse and frustrate people. However, having the notches at every 100hp would solve the problem of early game confusion and i think that it is a really good idea. The idea of having thick lines at every 1k hp is also a great idea to making reading hp easy early and late game. However, if some people feel the notches will create too much clutter, (which i do not think they do, the 4k hp Yorick was really easy to read for me) perhaps have the 100hp notches fade out once the person achieves a certain threshold of hp. For example, by the time a Yorick reaches 4k hp the 100hp notches are pointless and hardly visible anyways. So you could just have them disappear once they reach 4k hp since they are hard to see anyways and make it easier to read for the people who feel they make it seem cluttered at 4k hp.

You pretty much have to keep the same resolution on the health bar for everybody. If you set a threshold at, say, 3k HP where the bars start showing at 200 instead of 100, suddenly at a quick glance, the 3k HP tank looks like they have the same amount of HP as the 1.5k HP carry (both would have 15 divisions i their health bar).

"will only confuse a frustrate people"
This might be true for the first 10-15 minutes people play with the new health bars. But you quickly get used to them, and they do make it easier to read current HP at a glance once you are used to them. The fact that there would be a slight transition period to adjust to it shouldn't be enough to stop what ultimately is an improvement in the UI.

Neofederalist

02-10-2013

The problem I'm having with the change is the granularity at early levels, where it matters.

When just about everyone has 2 + change bars, it's hard to tell exactly how much damage you're dealing or taking. For deciding when to use that early ignite in a teamfight, this could make the difference between getting the kill and misjudging the amount of HP they have left.

One Week Ago

02-10-2013

I truly feel like this update will only bring mass confusion to the community.

Getting baited to diving people who you think are low hp are going to be as common as a jungler picking smite.

Not only that, it further confuses trading in lane and will result in mass panic/passive play for the first few weeks of release.

In all honesty, this is not something I am looking forward to in its current state.

The Star of Hope

Recruiter

02-10-2013

Quote:
The Star of Hope:
Health Bar - half marks for 100 or 200, full marks for 1000's, and coloured marks per 50 armour and magic resistance.

Added version with alternating colours to highlight 1000's and 100 blocks.

Crystal Nexus

02-10-2013

Quote:
The Star of Hope:
Added version with alternating colours to highlight 1000's and 100 blocks.

I like your version, my feedback:
• The alternate color is a cool idea but in this version a bit to dark.
• The points for the armor and magic resistance are also interesting but in this version I think its hard to recognize them during a game because they are to small and hard to count.