Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Dota/HoN -> LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garion

10-25-2010

Quote:
WesleyCoomber:
Hey I'm an okay Dota/HoN player (1700 psr) and my dota-virgin friends have been telling me to start playing LoL.

I think I have the basics and mechanics down (last hitting/mana consumption/positioning) from past Dota experience, but I have no idea what the competitive tier in LoL is.

For example, in dota the competitive heroes are: Storm Spirit/Doombringer/Morphling etc. Heroes who are regularly banned and generally seen as a little too powerful.

And in dota the competitive items are Manta style and Powertreads.

So who are the competitive heroes and what are the generic good item builds for them?

my first advice to you... ur not in competitive level yet, do not care about this or u will hinder ur improvement

murphymcmanus

10-25-2010

Quote:
WesleyCoomber:
Hey I'm an okay Dota/HoN player (1700 psr) and my dota-virgin friends have been telling me to start playing LoL.

I think I have the basics and mechanics down (last hitting/mana consumption/positioning) from past Dota experience, but I have no idea what the competitive tier in LoL is.

For example, in dota the competitive heroes are: Storm Spirit/Doombringer/Morphling etc. Heroes who are regularly banned and generally seen as a little too powerful.

And in dota the competitive items are Manta style and Powertreads.

So who are the competitive heroes and what are the generic good item builds for them?

Every single champion is totally playable in regular games, depending on your personal skill with said champ. Builds you learn for yourself as you go.

Ranked games, sadly Elementz is mostly correct. But really, play what you like/are good with.

RedUsagi

10-25-2010

my personal favorites are twitch and anivia who are both considered high tier...been playing them even when they weren't....

SlyGoat

10-25-2010

Kids finally figured out Storm Spirit is overpowered as ****? Good to know.

Indecent

Recruiter

10-25-2010

Quote:
WesleyCoomber:
The wiki says all volley gets from levels is +10 damage and lowered cool down.

Looking at Ashe's base stats-she has a really small mana pool, so I don't think she can really spam it.

So I'm thinking that Orb Harass and +Gold Farm are better to get early, and using lvl 1 volley sparingly like zues' chain lighting (for a last hit and minor harass).

However, if creeps really do deal negligible damage in LoL, maybe the frost shot for orb harass isn't really worth it?

Orbs don't exist in LoL. Creeps will aggro on you whenever you attack an enemy, regardless of whether frost shot is turned on. Harass with autoattacks and volley. Mana is less signifigant in LoL, because of mana -regen runes.

AwwGasm

10-25-2010

Quote:
SlyGoat:
Kids finally figured out Storm Spirit is overpowered as ****? Good to know.

Well he was hard enough to play to go unnoticed until they see good players using him effectively before they cried OP.

Orb walking doesn't exist in LoL and creep aggro only procs when you hit the enemy champ (this means you can't pull creeps with A + click and move back) Creeps will also aggro on Spell cast IF you are the nearest immediate target to them when you cast your damaging spells. (so if you are the nearest target to a ranged creep you will aggro them)

Over here in LoL Manaregen > Mana (some mana intensive champions need both, others can live with good manaregen) and HP > Hp regen after laning phase because things are more fast paced in the current meta as compared to poking and healing (Force of Nature passive is similar to Heart passive but it isn't as valuable)

At low levels it might be OK to get manamune on Ashe since you won't have runes to supplement her mana regen. I Personally leave frost shot at level 2 and max out hawkshot before getting more levels into it, volley is really useful and is maxed first.

Tonberry

10-25-2010

The answer to your question just has waaay too much content. If you want to learn fast your best bet is to read the guides in the guides and strategy forums.

I suggest you learn:
Ashe, Shaco, Evelynn, Twitch, Kog Maw, Annie, Ryze, Kassidin, Shen, Morgana, Pantheon, Amumu, Warwick, Xin Zhao, Garen, Master Yi, Mundo, Mordekaiser, Miss Fortune, Sona, Vladimir, Twisted Fate, Anivia, Galio, Olaf, Nidalee and Kennen.
These are by far the most common champions you will see in no particular order. Everyone else is a rarer sight.

Also a shorter list, just ignore:
Urgot, Zilean, Jax, Teemo, Nasus, Zilean, Swainn, Soraka, Sivir, Nunu, Heimerdinger, Gangplank, Corki.
These guys are rarely picked and/or most people just suck with them so they are easy to kill anyways.

ShadyGrave

10-25-2010

you cant do ranked play until 20 anyways (and its recommended to wait to 30 with a rune set) you might as well just try out all the characters you can. you will find which ones can rock the house, and which ones fall short. its good to be able to play one of each roll at least, because, your not always gonna be the carry/assassin/etc.