Dota/HoN -> LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vanisher1

10-25-2010

amumu/galio/morgana/taric/sona

Spellsy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyCoomber View Post
Hey I'm an okay Dota/HoN player (1700 psr) and my dota-virgin friends have been telling me to start playing LoL.

I think I have the basics and mechanics down (last hitting/mana consumption/positioning) from past Dota experience, but I have no idea what the competitive tier in LoL is.

For example, in dota the competitive heroes are: Storm Spirit/Doombringer/Morphling etc. Heroes who are regularly banned and generally seen as a little too powerful.

And in dota the competitive items are Manta style and Powertreads.

So who are the competitive heroes and what are the generic good item builds for them?
figuring it out yourself is good. instead of copy-pasting chinese strats

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2010

Quote:
Hey I'm an okay Dota/HoN player (1700 psr) and my dota-virgin friends have been telling me to start playing LoL.

I think I have the basics and mechanics down (last hitting/mana consumption/positioning) from past Dota experience, but I have no idea what the competitive tier in LoL is.

For example, in dota the competitive heroes are: Storm Spirit/Doombringer/Morphling etc. Heroes who are regularly banned and generally seen as a little too powerful.

And in dota the competitive items are Manta style and Powertreads.

So who are the competitive heroes and what are the generic good item builds for them?
That sort of depends on whether you're aiming for competitive premade 3's, 5's or solo 3's, 5's.

There's a tier list for the premade variety.

Steelclad

10-25-2010

While there is a variety of champions who are currently deemed by the players as more capable than the others, I think Riot has balance in their priority list, wanting all champions and items to be viable in most matchups and preventing certain champions from being banned every game. So I wouldn't get used to the idea of a competitive tier as champions are always liable to get tweaked in each patch.

I wouldn't play Champions because of their notoriety as "imbalanced" and whatnot either. Just pick the champions whose concepts and abilities seem the most interesting to you regardless of their "tier placement" and you'll get more fun out of the game.

LinaFireSong

10-25-2010

it's different for everyone, for example: I can't play Lux right even with a gun hold to my head, while my friends can slap opponents silly with her.

I can own with Katarina/Akali, even though their tier isn't that high. So it's all about your play style and preference.

WesleyCoomber

10-25-2010

Hey I still haven't played my first game, but I'm looking for a hero who can play solo middle and really take over a game- like Storm Spirit/PoTM/Queen of Pain/Lion/Tiny.

A hero who scales fairly well like SS/PotM would be best.

Quote:
... Manta Style and Treads? Kidding me?

I'll go manta CM.
Ummm Hi obviously I mean Manta style is the clear best item on all ranged carries. Quit trolling.

Please give me the generic 'good for almost every situation' items for each hero type:

-Ranged Carry
-Melee Carry
-Support
-Ganker

Duelpower

10-25-2010

Give janna a go if you like support, she is definately fun and very good in teamfights.

slowpokie

10-25-2010

Pubstompers and top Team picks are different. This is because arranged team and solo queue games are very different. Arranged team is more reliant on good teamwork and good team picks, whereas solo queues often have minimal teamwork.

That said, some good champions you're looking for:

- Ranged Carry: Miss Fortune, Tristana
- Melee Carry: Xin Zhao, Olaf
- Support: Sona, Janna
- Ganker: Warwick

CecilRhodes

10-25-2010

The amount of items is rather... limited. You should be able to figure it out pretty quickly on your own.

Gaeb

10-25-2010

Quote:
Please give me the generic 'good for almost every situation' items for each hero type:

-Ranged Carry
-Melee Carry
-Support
-Ganker
Ashe (450) Tristana (1350) ... there's more, but those two work.
Yi (450) Jax (1350) .. there's more, but those two work.
.... Soraka (450) is sort of overshadowed by Lux (6300?) and Sona (6300?) lately. Janna (1350) is fine.
Um. Warwick works.