New Updates to the Tribunal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jadaris

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
If you behave for long periods of time, your account's toxic history does slowly decay away and you will not be up for a permanent ban.
Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I'm currently on a two week ban, after making huge leaps and bounds to improve myself after my last punish, which was 10 months ago, in April of last year, thanks to the weakest Report Card I think I've ever seen. I'm afraid to even play on my account after the ban expires, so any more information on the rate of decay would be appreciated.

Cornwillis

02-08-2013

Hi Lyte, I actually made a thread a while ago but it got buried pretty quickly, it was directed at you, so I thought I'd share what I had to say here in the hopes that you might read it. Tiny bit off topic but not too much!

----

One thing that has bothered me is people being abusive in games and say things like "Reports don't matter, I'll get away with it" etc etc. I imagine these people are almost always bluffing/blowing steam, but it would be nice to have some knowledge of the effectiveness of our reports.

From the tribunal system, I've really enjoyed the feature telling you how accurate you are in reducing number of toxic players etc, and was wondering if a similar feature could be implemented for reporting.

All it would take (easy for me to say, knowing none of the tech involved in this) would be a statistic available to each player that tells them how accurate their reporting is. That is, of the players they reported, what percentage of those ended up receiving some form of punishment. Perhaps within a specific time window so people don't get praised for falsely reporting someone who receives a warning a year later. Giving specific details (e.g. players involved, nature of punishment etc) probably wouldn't be necessary, but it would give people the knowledge of whether or not their reports are having any effect.

As an bonus, it would hopefully deter some people from reporting carelessly. Players that report other innocent players would get feedback on how inaccurate their reporting is, and, with the information of false reporting being a bannable offense, may curb that behaviour.

Thoughts?

Lord Macaroni

02-08-2013

Are you going to do anything about how toxic some 4 man premades are? I encounter them on a daily basis and this topic gets completely ignored. It makes me have to dodge more than I'd like because they didn't get mid and they're going to everything to make sure I don't have fun.

SqueezeMeNow

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeMeNow View Post
You could just do like you did with a select few 'pro' players you held to 'the same standards as everyone else' and make it public knowledge, name and nationality included.

I honestly wouldn't mind one less case of hypocrisy from Riot on matters of the tribunal.
Now that you have resumed posting, maybe you'd like to follow through with something you said. I know it's not par for the course for Riot...

Whisla

02-08-2013

Quote:
Let's go through a thought exercise.

Theoretically, let's assume that 10% of players are toxic in Game A, which requires 10 players per game. You might see at least 1 toxic player in every game. However, although 100% of games seem toxic, it's actually still 10% of the playerbase--which is a small minority when you consider the overall community.
This does make alot of sense i guess its just depressing to know that nearly 100% of your games can be trolled. Its something thats made me nearly quit ranked entirely. In your mind is there any way to fix this? or even move it down to 50%?

Bergtau

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisla View Post
This does make alot of sense i guess its just depressing to know that nearly 100% of your games can be trolled. Its something thats made me nearly quit ranked entirely. In your mind is there any way to fix this? or even move it down to 50%?
I'm fairly certain that 10% was just a number he pulled out because it would fit with 100%. Though technically 11.11% would have been better in that regard as a player inside the game is not an outside observer and can be discounted from the number of players, meaning that, in order for an average of 1 trolls per game you play, there needs to be a 1/9 chance of any given player besides yourself being a troll.

Cry1

02-08-2013

Quote:
Since we released [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2722291&=updates+to+the+tribunal"]The Justice Review[/url2] a few months ago, we’ve been monitoring The Tribunal and would like to share a few changes we’ve made that are subtle, but critical. These changes are aimed at improving accuracy, providing voters more relevant information, and helping to identify the most toxic players even faster. I want to quickly highlight these changes and explain the logic behind them:

• Previously, our Player Support team reviewed every Tribunal case before approving punishments and pardons. After reviewing the past 12 months of data, we’ve seen that cases that are unanimously pardoned or punished tend to be extremely accurate—Player Support rarely overturns these decisions. In light of this data, we’re now going to focus our attention on the cases that are more ambiguous—the slight majorities and split decisions. This should improve The Tribunal’s accuracy by focusing on the cases that need the most attention.

• We’ve tweaked how The Tribunal builds cases: Instead of 100% random sampling, The Tribunal will attempt to find the games that ultimately sent each player to The Tribunal. By selecting recent games that had a big impact in sending the player to The Tribunal, you should see the average number of reports against a player increase per game.

• The Tribunal system is a constant balance between speed and accuracy. In the past, we were concerned that forcing The Tribunal to find more games per case meant that toxic players were left unchecked for longer than necessary. However, we realize that more information for our judges means more accurate verdicts, and recent optimizations have allowed us to change The Tribunal so that every case will have at least two games to review instead of one.

• Players have often said they forget how many cases they’ve done on a given day—we’ve added a progress bar that will outline how close you are to maxing out your daily case limit.

These changes are already live, so go check them out and let us know what you think! We’re confident that these changes will improve the accuracy of The Tribunal system without compromising on speed.

[url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/"]Visit the Tribunal[/url2] today and help us make a difference in the community!
This update is actually one of your finer moments, Lyte. Well done. I may return to the Tribunal now.

Katarìna

02-08-2013

Heil mein Führer Lyte.

Arcane Azmadi

02-08-2013

Lyte, I would strongly suggest that you need to give Tribunal voters to ability to single out what they're voting to punish FOR. If a player is reported for 'Intentional feeding', 'Verbal abuse' and 'AFK' in a single game, the reports should have tick boxes next to them which you can tick if they DID spend half the game raging at their opponents but leave blank if they only went 2/9/7 and were CLEARLY not intentionally feeding. Additionally, split the 'Punish' button into 'Punish - I highlighted specific causes' and 'Punish - unspecified causes' so people who don't want to bother can still vote without needing to spend time on this. That way we can help increase report accuracy and held punish the guilty while still weeding out frivilous reporters- so a guy who rages at his team all game in one match will still be punished for it, while the OTHER rager who reported him just for having a bad game in another match will still be acknowledged as a report spammer.

SqueezeMeNow

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJadarisX View Post
Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I'm currently on a two week ban, after making huge leaps and bounds to improve myself after my last punish, which was 10 months ago, in April of last year, thanks to the weakest Report Card I think I've ever seen. I'm afraid to even play on my account after the ban expires, so any more information on the rate of decay would be appreciated.
He doesn't care enough to elaborate. Make an alternate account now and play that up to thirty. Then you can only play your main when you are on your very best behavior. Get a string of horrible trolls and play on the alt.

That'll fix you right up, and lets face it, you probably will have to make a new account if you don't.

I was in the same place as you once. Then I realized how full of it Riot was. Now I play on several accounts and enjoy the game far more.