Why can you report someone for being unskilled?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UnholyCanoli

02-08-2013

I was just curious why there is an unskilled player report button. Is it a reportable offense or is it something like when you learn slowly so your team "reports" you for it and it matches you with players of a lower skill level (level 12 gets reported and is sent to play with level 8's)? I was curious because of the summoner code stating that you must hel p new players which i approve greatly of, but then they have a report button for being unskilled which does not make sense to me unless i am missing something. I would greatly appreciate an answer to this question, Thank you!

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

02-08-2013

It cannot, and will not result in punitive action. It is there solely to flag cases for potential review by any Rioters working with matchmaking. (Well, maybe I shouldn't say solely, I'm sure they use the data for various statistical thingies.)

OhBoyItsaMegaman

02-08-2013

It serves two purposes. It is used by Riot for information gathering purposes. If someone gets an unusual number of Unskilled Player reports, that may be a sign that that player is consistently being paired up with teammates and opponents who are above their skill level. Riot can use this information to manually change that player's hidden unranked Elo score, and they can also identify trends that help them tweak the matchmaking algorithm.

It also works as a kind of placebo report. There are people who get upset that a player on their team did very bad. The Unskilled Player report gives them a sort of outlet for their frustration. If that report weren't available, they might report the player for some other offense (which would contribute to that player winding up with a Tribunal case).

Unskilled Player reports do NOT end up as part of a Tribunal case. You won't ever receive a warning or ban due to them. They're a completely different type of report.

Hand BananĂ¡

02-08-2013

It is also so that when people are angry at you, (for being "unskilled") they select that and not intentional feeding or something that IS a reportable offense. Without it the tribunal would get less accurate data.

UnholyCanoli

02-08-2013

What do you mean by it being there to flag cases? Do you mean if someone gets reported in a game and they see that the reported person reported everyone else as being unskilled when it was actually their fault for feeding or trolling or whatever the case may be, that the case is more likely to be used because they are accusing everyone else of sucking when it was them going against the summoners code? I am not trolling so please don't assume i am (never said you were just in case you were thinking i am) because i am a low level i don't know about the tribunal (can't enter it yet). Thank you for the response!

UnholyCanoli

02-08-2013

Ok 2 people responded while i was writing that. OhBoy said what i suspected and i never even suspected that people would pick it over a reportable offense. Thank you for the answers i am still unsure of what Panzerfaust meant but i am grateful for your answers, Thank you!

Jehosophat

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycanoli View Post
Ok 2 people responded while i was writing that. OhBoy said what i suspected and i never even suspected that people would pick it over a reportable offense. Thank you for the answers i am still unsure of what Panzerfaust meant but i am grateful for your answers, Thank you!
Not to put words in Panzers mouth, but part of what he meant is it's there to help Riot staff fine tune matchmaking. For example, if you were to get reported over and over again for being unskilled, it might indicate a flaw in the matchmaking system that is allowing you to get queued up with much higher skill opponents/teammates and not with the skill level you should be at.