Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

"Anti-Fun" and other lazy gameplay mechanics and the future of this game as an esport

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rainbowgasm

10-25-2010

the pros will still have their place, and the casuals will still have theirs. Riot has already helped the pro base quite a bit, stop saying your being ignored.

the truth is, why is it in the best intrests of a company to look at the top 25% and suck their ****s while the bottom 75% are left with blue balls?

WarTornPanda

10-25-2010

Quote:
Voidgolem:
Is it ignorance when I've got a whole forum of evidence which says that for every person who uses flash in a clever manner or offensively, there's six who use it as a mere 'get out of fail' button for when they **** up on positioning?

*shrug*

Account for Flash. Don't be bad.

Redford

10-25-2010

Flash isn't even that good. Ghost will allow you to flee better and in more circumstances then flash as long as you are smart enough to flee before you are totally screwed and need flash to dodge a killing blow projectile. Having used both, I find ghost saves my life just as often as flash, and is just as good at allowing me to attack or escape. While flash covers a long distance instantly, over time ghost will allow you to chase and intercept longer. They only way a person with flash can ever flee from a person with ghost is if they use it to hop a huge wall - and even then I've had a kog'maw hop dragon wall, and then a team mate using ghost go around the long way and catch him on the other side.

Voidgolem

10-25-2010

Only way to account for flash is by HAVING flash, generally.

I could parrot your argument back at you with some minor rewording. Learn to live without it.

XaoGarrent

10-25-2010

I am Xao Garrent and I support this post.

But more seriously, you know what really annoys me? Zilean's Chrono Shift and Time Bomb. Not only do I know I can't kill this person he just placed this **** on, he can drop this stupid squishy killing time bomb on me from range and I can't do anything but watch it tick down? Annoys the hell out of me, so lets remove that with flash, too, since it's pretty anti-fun right?

Or how about Shen's Ulti? That's definitely a "get out of fail free card" if I've ever seen one. Enemy team goes to focus the squishy who initiated like a moron, Shen ults in and taunts them before they can kill him. Now you've got Shen tossing Vorpal Blades and Ki Striking YOUR squishy in the face. Yeah, anti-fun too, so lets remove that while we're at it.

You know what else is really lame? Healing. All sorts of healing. Why is it these two guys packing heal can push all the way into my lane and get away from a perfect gank I set up with mid because they both decided to carry this no skill power, huh? That Taric combo early game? Why is it they can screw up repeatedly and not be punished? Lets remove healing, ALL of it, because it's really annoying when you're about to kill someone and suddenly their HP jumps up. Totally anti-fun, right?

Get where I'm going with this yet? Stop ruining your game, Riot, VALVe realized what was wrong with this mindset a long time ago with Team Fortress 2 and wised up. You can't make an interesting and truly dynamic game if every little thing that annoys a player gets removed. Flash isn't even in the top 10 offenders for me, and if you go down this path I can guarantee you more and more people will be clamoring for you to give additional game mechanics and abilities the axe.

xbombr

10-25-2010

If you take away all the anti-fun, there won't be any fun left.

Anti-fun is fun for someone. Unless it's to the point of being totally excessive and overpowered in some way, then it shouldn't be messed with.

For instance, flash is counterable and it won't save you very often unless you went over a wall.

Banshee's veil and cleanse are anti-fun. I just used a spell that didn't do anything.

Malphite and Morde are anti-fun because I can't harass them.

Notice that all of these things are considered balanced, underpowered, or necessary. If cleanse didn't exist, then hard CC would be anti-fun because it has no counter.

It's a never ending loop until you get down to barebones and end up with a depthless game.

sleepingcold

10-25-2010

I personally have nothing against flash. It's not like it's on a 10 sec cd or anything. You'll never have it more than once per fight, probably not even in time for the next team fight if it's an aggressive team.

I just kind of wish there were more summoner skills that would make team fights even more varied. Maybe introducing a summoner skill that can be planted like rally which prevents movement summoner skills from being used in its area of effect. Or increase the CD of summoner spells used within its aoe by 25 percent or something.

Gambit EK

10-25-2010

You know what's anti-fun? Heimer turret nests and shrooms.

Pentarctagon

10-25-2010

you know what else is anti-fun? having legions of people QQing about virtually every change made to this game.

dissonancy

10-25-2010

Quote:
ExpertSockThrow:
Riot has to cater to the new people though, because by expanding their audience, they get more money and recognition from sponsors. If I get sick of it, I'll just move over to DotA2 when that comes out, since originality in kit design is allowed to exist more freely there.

Pretty soon, Riot will have each champion have only one skill because to new players, pressing 4 buttons at specific times may be confusing.