"Anti-Fun" and other lazy gameplay mechanics and the future of this game as an esport

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 31
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NinNinNin

10-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by USnip View Post
It amazes me that people say removing flash would make this game less competitive. Hint: Dota had flash, it got changed into something different because it was completely broken. And that version cost gold, and wasn't available at level one.

One of the reasons this game is less competitive is because sacred cows like this just... don't... die.
He's not just talking about flash, but the mindset behind it, I hope you understand this.

Pentarctagon

10-25-2010

i challenge anyone here to play against a team where they all have flash. definitely not fun...

Doublelift

10-25-2010

I was going to immediately downvote you when I saw your title and where the thread was going, but those three examples I have to agree with. If two skills have the exact same effect, but one is more interesting (but slightly harder to understand), then why would anyone in their right mind pick the dumbed down version?

USnip

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinNinNin View Post
He's not just talking about flash, but the mindset behind it, I hope you understand this.
I'm pretty sure broken mechanics are anti-fun.

It's not like, we have to kill either fun or balance, which one should go?

There are so many reasons this game isn't competitive... from the ground up it hasn't been designed to be competitive, or least not well designed to be competitive. The idea of anti-fun has nothing to do with that, there are dozens of factors.

Unr3alAnGeR

10-25-2010

Flash makes ganking almost impossible in the laning phase. How is removing it making the game more competitive?

Rezyk

10-25-2010

Open your eyes! Riot is aware of the impact on tactical depth and skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas
My feeling is that it gives everyone a 'get out of fail' card that reduces skill differentiation in the game, and makes good play rewarded less, and bad play punished less. [...] We've done a bunch of playtests internally without flash, and fights feel a lot more dynamic [...]
Don't listen to all those people who claim that it's an attempt to dumb-down the game at the expense of skill. It's plainly a bandwagon full of bullcrap.

Voidgolem

10-25-2010

All I really hear when people cry about Flash being removed is "I main squishy ranged carries and hate melee"

Or Alistar/Galio, I suppose. Meh.

WarTornPanda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidgolem View Post
All I really hear when people cry about Flash being removed is "I main squishy ranged carries and hate melee"

Or Alistar/Galio, I suppose. Meh.
I suppose the opposite is true for people that want it removed. Don't be ignorant.

Voidgolem

10-25-2010

Is it ignorance when I've got a whole forum of evidence which says that for every person who uses flash in a clever manner or offensively, there's six who use it as a mere 'get out of fail' button for when they **** up on positioning?

*shrug*

MercyKiss

10-25-2010

Flash is ******ed because it cancels out incoming projectiles. Makes me rage to no end.

12345612 ... 31