"Anti-Fun" and other lazy gameplay mechanics and the future of this game as an esport

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 31
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clarithium

10-25-2010

It has come to my attention that Riot is removing flash based on a cookie cutter set of gameplay mechanics (term used broadly, guidelines may be more appropriate). The one we've all heard of is "Anti-fun".

I am not taking sides on whether it should or shouldn't be removed. I simply think the reasoning is ******ed. Why? Adhering to a set of casual gamer cookie cutter guidelines makes your game dull, boring, and removes skill. Riot is ignoring balance and depth, in favor of making the game better for the farmville audience.

I can think of another company that vehemently adheres to such guidelines- their name is Zynga. To unfamiliar people, they are the ones who created farmville. They use these guidelines to appeal to a broad audience, and hook them, enabling them to create an essentially crappy game, yet still keep an audience. It saddens me to see Riot doing the same.

Examples :
-Removal of Maledict effect from Swain. Now he has one of the most boring spell sets in the game
-Statement by Riot why they'd never put a spell like Rupture into the game, due to "Anti-fun". God forbid we have uniqueness.
-Removal of flash

You see, a game that caters to casuals through cookie cutter gameplay elements loses all depth. This is why Starcraft, Warcraft, Quake, Halo, DotA, CSS, UT, pretty much ANY competitive game is loaded with "Anti Fun". Yet people still have fun playing them.

Riot needs to reconsider their direction of game design, because the only direction I see it going is downhill.

KirbyHero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2010

Melee was designed to be fun. It had a massive competitive community.

7he Raven

10-25-2010

Starcraft and Warcraft have remained staples of the RTS genre because the gameplay found in SC and WC was originally found in those two games. There are now many others games that play the same way, but those games do not get the same recognition because they don't have the same name, World of Warcraft has "anti-fun" mechanics and is immensely popular because it utilizes the same methods of "drawing others in" as zynga's farmville; not because of innovative gameplay.

Halo and CoD are immensely popular despite "anti-fun" mechanics because they were also the first to do what they did with FPS. Halo was the first FPS with major online-support via consoles (that didn't suck), and CoD was one of the first FPS's to draw the players in with an actual story. They are currently doing so well because of their names, not because of their mechanics.

etc.etc.

Twilexia

10-25-2010

I agree that Flash should stay as is. The "get out of jail free card" allows players to play more aggressively and thereby make the game more interesting. If everyone just sits at their tower for 25 minutes, farms, then, 2-3 team fights later, game ends...

What's the point?

Removing flash would be anti-fun.

Ravel

10-25-2010

Agree with OP.

However, I also play Eve Online..., so I'm used to "anti-fun" gameplay mechanics

mrdudefool

10-25-2010

games were designed to be fun. You want anti-fun? Live your life then

simPp

10-25-2010

The replacement idea Summoner Dash sounds like garbage as well

ExpertSockThrow

10-25-2010

Riot has to cater to the new people though, because by expanding their audience, they get more money and recognition from sponsors. If I get sick of it, I'll just move over to DotA2 when that comes out, since originality in kit design is allowed to exist more freely there.

USnip

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2010

It amazes me that people say removing flash would make this game less competitive. Hint: Dota had flash, it got changed into something different because it was completely broken. And that version cost gold, and wasn't available at level one.

One of the reasons this game is less competitive is because sacred cows like this just... don't... die.

NinNinNin

10-25-2010

Well that was the message i was trying to get across anyways. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's upset about this paradigm shift.

1234511 ... 31