And like that my hopes on lore are gone

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kato75

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Why would you say quinn was a commoner,WHY would you make us believe shes kinda of that ranger\stalker style of champ with her diary,to then just shove another yellow\blue armored demacian
I am not saying she is bad,in fact,she looks so beautifull,but hey
pro tip
you cant stalk someone in that kind of armor
Unless you have some magic on it.with woulnd't make any sense since shes is a commoner,and shouldn't have acess to such things,at least by now.

Well,you guys dissapointed me,again.Dont know why I still have my hopes up
The first one post-JoJ death was the Shadow isles event:It held literally NO importance whatsoever IN-LORE(not just justfying a map rework)

Just reboot it all already and try to come up with something bad,that FEELS CONNECTED
Not just some random lore trowh here and there


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

If you read the 6th page of Quinn's Journal reveal, she's been promoted to be part of the Demacian Elite. Yes, that means she's undergone a visual upgrade from her days as a commoner. The upper class of Demacia is all upper class, all the time - both in battle and in balls. Yes, this armor might not be the most practical for Quinn to wear every day, when she used to live in the wood, but as a Demacian emissary to the League of Legends, and specifically representing the elite society, this is an outfit she has to wear.

Maybe one day she'll be allowed to wear her old, comfortable clothes - the ones that made her famous - onto the Fields of Justice, but for now we have some nice shiny armor to look at.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kato75

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari Brigadier View Post
If you read the 6th page of Quinn's Journal reveal, she's been promoted to be part of the Demacian Elite. Yes, that means she's undergone a visual upgrade from her days as a commoner. The upper class of Demacia is all upper class, all the time - both in battle and in balls. Yes, this armor might not be the most practical for Quinn to wear every day, when she used to live in the wood, but as a Demacian emissary to the League of Legends, and specifically representing the elite society, this is an outfit she has to wear.

Maybe one day she'll be allowed to wear her old, comfortable clothes - the ones that made her famous - onto the Fields of Justice, but for now we have some nice shiny armor to look at.
So much for changing demacia


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Birdy51

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Not so. Sometimes change can be found from within. Simply because she is counted among the elite, that doesn't mean that she is welcomed among the elite. Demacia is a place where your rise is impeded, you are this and you are meant to stay this. Don't try to shake the status quo.

However, Quinn flies in the face of this assumption. People are bound to not like that about her, which causes conflict.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy51 View Post
Not so. Sometimes change can be found from within. Simply because she is counted among the elite, that doesn't mean that she is welcomed among the elite. Demacia is a place where your rise is impeded, you are this and you are meant to stay this. Don't try to shake the status quo.

However, Quinn flies in the face of this assumption. People are bound to not like that about her, which causes conflict.
While I agree with you, the OP is more focusing on the disconnect between Quinn's portrayal in the Journal pages and her final visuals.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melancholy Exile

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari Brigadier View Post
While I agree with you, the OP is more focusing on the disconnect between Quinn's portrayal in the Journal pages and her final visuals.
Indeed.

I realise that I already raised as much in another thread, but I feel a major issue with Quinn is that we don't really have any idea how much time passed between the final page of her journal and her acceptance into the League of Legends. The character we've seen in IronStylus' work doesn't really reflect the person we were introduced to throughout her preview and almost feels like she's had her non-standard traits buried beneath a prototypical Demacian visage. While you could certainly make an argument for the visual metaphor at play there, it seems less than ideal to sell players on someone who stands apart from their peers, then dress and arm them in a very similar fashion.

If her bio goes some way to clarify a change in character and familiarity with a new way of war, I can certainly come to accept her current aesthetics. I may not be overtly fond with them, or feel they reflect the character I wanted her to be, but at least they make some degree of sense if she's actually had time to adapt to fighting in that sort of armour, rather than going from commoner to shining paragon of Demacia between acts.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
Indeed.

I realise that I already raised as much in another thread, but I feel a major issue with Quinn is that we don't really have any idea how much time passed between the final page of her journal and her acceptance into the League of Legends. The character we've seen in IronStylus' work doesn't really reflect the person we were introduced to throughout her preview and almost feels like she's had her non-standard traits buried beneath a prototypical Demacian visage. While you could certainly make an argument for the visual metaphor at play there, it seems less than ideal to sell players on someone who stands apart from their peers, then dress and arm them in a very similar fashion.

If her bio goes some way to clarify a change in character and familiarity with a new way of war, I can certainly come to accept her current aesthetics. I may not be overtly fond with them, or feel they reflect the character I wanted her to be, but at least they make some degree of sense if she's actually had time to adapt to fighting in that sort of armour, rather than going from commoner to shining paragon of Demacia between acts.
I was able to get Riot responses in my thread here (and my other thread in GD) about this - basically, I think, they weren't expecting us to take those pages as final-canon for her status when she enters the League. The journal pages were more meant as a slow-reveal and (to your point) there could be any amount of time between her catching the assassin and her entrance into the League; on the other hand, the biggest impact to her visual state happened in a single sentence on Journal Page 6 - her promotion to the Demacian elite. That single sentence changed her entire visual outlook from a naturalist/tracker peasant to a noble Demacian representative.

I'm not sure if I'm projecting here, but I'd also like to point out that Quinn doesn't look all too terribly comfortable in the full-body reveal. If anything, she looks stiff, like she's posing for something. If that's an intended perception, then I have a ton of respect for the Quinn art team.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

02-13-2013

Perhaps the character's secondary skin will offer another perspective. *shrug*


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melancholy Exile

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari Brigadier View Post
I was able to get Riot responses in my thread here (and my other thread in GD) about this - basically, I think, they weren't expecting us to take those pages as final-canon for her status when she enters the League. The journal pages were more meant as a slow-reveal and (to your point) there could be any amount of time between her catching the assassin and her entrance into the League; on the other hand, the biggest impact to her visual state happened in a single sentence on Journal Page 6 - her promotion to the Demacian elite. That single sentence changed her entire visual outlook from a naturalist/tracker peasant to a noble Demacian representative.

I'm not sure if I'm projecting here, but I'd also like to point out that Quinn doesn't look all too terribly comfortable in the full-body reveal. If anything, she looks stiff, like she's posing for something. If that's an intended perception, then I have a ton of respect for the Quinn art team.
Isn't there an innate problem there though that, besides whatever her actual bio may cover, we've been asked to invest in a character based entirely on who they used to be, rather than the person they'll actually appear as in the game? It's a little like Riven being introduced through a war journal that focussed entirely on the systematic destruction of Ionian settlements, and built her up as a proud and loyal Noxian, then leaving it until the last minute to mention Coeur and exile. It's clearly given many people in the community an expectation which her character has strayed a great deal from.

You're right in saying what you have, certainly, but that still means this preview has missed the mark somewhat because it's told us very little about the Quinn we're actually going to see in the League. I think it's not an unfair assumption to say that some people have actually been turned off by her design simply because they wanted something that came closer to what she seemed in the preview, even if they would have been quite happy with her finalised appearance in isolation. No matter how good your work is, it's hard to win over someone who had their mind set on something else.

As for your latter point, I actually approach it from a different perspective. I'm far from the biggest fan of her apparent design, and would rather see a more traditional approach to the ranger archetype, so I instead think of that awkwardness as being the mark of how impractical her equipment actually looks - especially that perch. It's all a matter of perspective, really.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melancholy Exile

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
Perhaps the character's secondary skin will offer another perspective. *shrug*
It's certainly a possibility.

I'm half-expecting there to be some outraged "Why should I have to pay for what should've been her classic skin?!" threads if things turn out that way, though.


12