A different idea for riot to think about

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

alaskaneagle

12-03-2013

The prob I've run into the most is a HUGE number of people have no idea what ranked is or really anything to do with the game. They aren't trolls they are just Ignorant. <--- ignorance can be fixed and I believe it would cut the toxicity in lower ranked games by a LOT

Add a simple requirement to play ranked;

""" achieve "member" status on forum. """

That's it. that is all you have to do. simple and easy

Reason; If they have to post a certain # of times on forum they will have to read and find threads they care enough about to post. They will see that their is a NPF, they will see the strategy section, they will find out that there is a huge number of resources to learn how to play. They will also learn that ranked is not the place you go when you hit lvl 30 it's the place you go to be competitive (which could have the side effect of reducing the toxicity in norms since they will know it's not the competitive arena).

Anyway riot What do you think? Can I get a red on this one so I know you've at least considered the idea?

EDIT; you may notice a lot of people posting negatively in this thread, but also notice they are the people who never have anything worth reading to say. They can't say why they don't like this idea, and they can't even think of anything to say about it. Basically they are seeing that I posted something and trolling it. The idea is a good one, and it is sound. Unfortunately "Haters gonna hate" apply's and people who can't think of anything on their own are left with the only alternative of attack things they can't understand.

alaskaneagle

12-03-2013

My argument revolves around my belief that a large number of people at lower elo's (basically starting out lvl's) in ranked are ignorant of what ranked is or that there are resources to learn how to play better or that you should learn to play better in ranked.

Follow the logic; the current requirement to play ranked is lvl 30 16 champs owned. When I got to lvl 30 I owned 14 so I bought 2 more and went to ranked to see what it was like. I lost 3 games in a row and I am pretty sure I cost my team the games every time while being raged at and threatened. I didn't come to forum till I started having connection/lag issues. Now I caused 3 loses and was probably reported for being a troll each time when I wasn't a troll I was just clueless. After being on forum for a short time I was amazed at how much there was to learn about this game. Now I was good for how many wins I had but I was missing a lot of knowledge I should never have come to ranked without. Now one person does not make a big underlying problem, but I often talk to people after the matches. I am usually the last person to leave every game I play and I like to see who I'm playing with and against. I was also fortunate (using the word fortunate loosely) to duo with a guy who was a troll (thought he was kidding till he lost us my last 3 ranked seeding matches.. lol) so I had to move all the way through low elo play. I'm only silver 3 right now but can still boast about never losing a match if my team listens to me. Anyway playing in low elo ranked and observing and talking to people I came to realize most of the people I was getting mad at for trolling were just people like me when I first tried ranked. One guy (the one who made me realize it wasn't trolling but ignorance) after the match asked me what map pressure was, and thanked me several times after I explained it and told him there were videos on youtube that could teach him how to play better. Ever since then I've been paying very close attention to the people in my games.

Anyway you can tell the people who have never played ranked because they rage in norms, and you can tell the people in ranked that don't know it's different from norms because they say things like "I'm going to try something new", or "just take malph even if you've never played him he's OP", or even "stfu, try hard, it's just a game". All these are signs of ignorance. Ignorance is very curable, and my idea is a simple way to address this issue.

If ignorance is as big of an underlying issue as I think it is the difference in game toxicity levels will significantly drop within 2 months. If it doesn't change they can simply take the requirement away. It is a low risk high reward idea as long as it isn't to hard to program. They can answer that, and even if it's tricky or difficult I mentioned a way to find out how big of an issue ignorance is and how it effects toxicity lvl's. If it's hard test the theory, if it's easy put it into place.

My theory has a lot to do with the idea of the ripple effect. One ignorant person in a game affects 9 other people altering their moods. Even when you win a game it doesn't feel good or as good as it should have if you think the ignorant guy was a troll handing you the win, and you get angry if you are on the same team as him. The next game they play will be more likely a negative experience do to them just coming from a negative game. They will be more prone to rage more prone to throws and more prone to going on tilt which will cause more toxic behavior. All things that happen are set up by many variables so it's no guarantee that each people will have bad experiences after dealing with an ignorant player But it would be very short sighted to think it no lingering effect remains when so many resources tell you to take breaks after bad games to avoid going on tilt or having a losing streak. If taking a break after a bad toxic game helps prevent losing streaks and enough people have noticed it to be in several videos, guides and mentioned in threads and on streams it is very likely that the lingering effect can be quantified and measured as a real thing.

There is no guarantee (very few things in life have a guarantee) that this idea will be some drastic improvement, but based on my tests and observations I think this little gesture would help.

The main objection people seem to have is that it could be bad for the game forum, and frankly it's a game forum for the game. If it helps the game but we have to deal with a few "sklqruewpa;jf" threads I don't see a problem with it. As far as getting to much traffic; that is a riot concern and they could either turn off the req. or expand forums, lessen the req. as necessary to ensure proper function.

The forums and games are linked and they have a requirement going one way, this would merely put one going the other way. You use your game name and login info to get into forum which is possible the moment you make your account. This idea is possible, and they are making another forum which they could start with this feature in place as a way to cure the ignorance, and promote the new site.

Seriphym

12-03-2013

The Reds you so desperately crave attention from have noticed this idea the last three times you have copy pasted it.

That is why they keep closing them.

alaskaneagle

12-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriphym View Post
The Reds you so desperately crave attention from have noticed this idea the last three times you have copy pasted it.

That is why they keep closing them.

There is some of that dishonesty I was talking about. They were closed because you and your troll friends and their/your smurfs down voted it 15 times and the automated system closed it.

How about you guys take a break from forum trolling long enough for my thread to stay up legitimately.

Seriphym

12-03-2013

I am not being dishonest at all.

The reds already know about your idea and are likely considering it as it should be considered.

However your actions could be construed as against the code of conduct as posting the same topic over and over could constitute as spamming.

While your idea has portions I highly agree with and some areas I don't I do agree it should be seen for its own merits as it has been.

However I do not wish to see one such as yourself who actually takes the time to legitimately analyze and construct his ideas lost to a simply conflict between your persistence and the code of conduct.

We need forum posters who field ideas and discuss them in a civil manner.

We do not need posters who continually spam the same thing over and over.

If you are seriously frustrated about possible trolling perhaps you could make one final post of this idea here:

http://community.na.leagueoflegends.com/c/ideas

in the new beta forums under Ideas and feedback.

While the format is a bit harsh on my own eyes the new crew at RIOT seem to think its the bee's knees for actually tracking and creating open honest "constructive" feedback.

I am betting this is the best place for your idea and where it will actually get the most attention with minimal trolling.

Good Luck and Good Hunting to you and yours.

SorieltheDreamer

12-03-2013

Alaskan, stop posting the same thread. It's becoming junk. Youa re losing your credibility, your idea was laready debated and no one care about that idea since it's not a good one. Your ''Achieve member status'' is not viable. deal with it and move on. Stop trolling the forums with your idea.

Z Grade

12-03-2013

You're not going to get active, meaningful posters through this method. You're going to get spam, and lots of it.

alaskaneagle

12-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriphym View Post

The reds already know about your idea and are likely considering it as it should be considered.

psychic?

SimplyAlive

12-04-2013

It's hard to miss if you constantly repost it.

If you want Riot to see it for sure, then send a ticket to them and stop this foolishness on the forums.

Seriphym

12-04-2013

Thank you for taking my advice and posting it in the ideas forums on the beta.

I believe it will get a much better focus there and since you actually posted it there I will ignore your obvious troll.