Ad carry, tank, jungler...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Monkeh22

02-08-2013

Hello everyone, I have a few questions... I'm fairly new to the game and am currently at level 7. I've been playing Ashe and a little of Caitlyn and have come to realize that their play style is my favorite. I've gotten pretty good at them and can hold my own in games. Now reading through the forums I've seen people saying that for ranked matches you should learn all types of champions such as tanks, junglers etc..Now my question is..

1) What are the different champions? I know there are Ad carries, Tanks, Junglers... but i'm sure there are more. And could you give me an example of some champions that fit each category?

2) Should I really learn all of them or is it okay if I get to know 2 or 3 types really well?

3) Is there a way to avoid using melee champions at all? From playing other games as well as this one I've realized I'm more of a ranged player, and do better that way... And I doubt tanks are ranged haha BUT maybe there are some tanks with a few ranged spells?

Thanks for your help! Cheers!

xTigggerx

02-08-2013

1. There are the basic 5 categories which is Ad carry, Tank, Jungler, Support, and AP carry. A prime example of an Ad carry would be ashe. A tank would be Malphite. A jungler would be Lee sin. A support would be Janna, and an AP carry would be Anivia.

2. Yes you absolutely must know more than just the basics of all 5. I personally play everything pretty well EXCEPT for Ad carry.

3.Well Yes and No. In blind pick you can get away with it, but in ranked, no. If you want to counterpick in ranked there are LOTS of melee champs that counter ranged champs and vice versa.

GwalIz

02-08-2013

Greetings! Im a level 30 and ive been playing since season 1. Let me get straight to your questions
1) What are the different champions? I know there are Ad carries, Tanks, Junglers... but i'm sure there are more. And could you give me an example of some champions that fit each category?
There are actually more types of champions:
Assassin(Zed, Kha,zix, talon),
fighter(darius, riven, yorick, vi),
tank(shen, amumu, malph, ali),
mage(vik, leBlanc, diana oriana, Ahri),
and support(tresh, lulu, sona, nid)

keep in mind that a figter can be an assassin (like fizz) or a tank be a support (like ali) so this really dont matter when playing in rank.

Now in ranked there are 5 types of rolls.
Top: Should be someone strong that can hold themselves. (darius, daren, olaf, riven) Usually mele but teemo is the most used top. He counters all mele top. [notice that all this champs have good health]

Mid: Is Usually someone with lots ap and able to carry mid game. (lux, morg, kass, ryzze, veig, annie) but theyre are ad that can mid. most famous is talon.

ADC: Adc is the attack damage carry. This is usually a ranged ad champ (ez, mf, ashe, sivir, cait, trist, twitch) If ypu want to play adc you have to be able to be kill lots of creeps. Learn what last shot is. Also. you need to manage you minions waves. This is so you dont get gank a lot.
Support: Stands next two support. Usually someone with heal and stun/slow/silence (sona, ali. taric, blitz, leaona, lux)

and my favorite.. JUNGLE:
Jungle determines how the early games are played. All you do is jungle monsters. Start at blue go wolves... til red. The most important part of a jungle is that he should know to gank. (xin, jax, ww, noc, shaco, lee, malph, ali, ram)

2) Should I really learn all of them or is it okay if I get to know 2 or 3 types really well?
Youll eventuually learn all. I started playing only caitlyn now i love playing mele.

3) Is there a way to avoid using melee champions at all? From playing other games as well as this one I've realized I'm more of a ranged player, and do better that way... And I doubt tanks are ranged haha BUT maybe there are some tanks with a few ranged spells? Easy and fun melee champs are xin jax riven, you should try playing those. (more cheap are trynd, and yi) Jayce is a ranged/melee champ. Maybe youll like him. His R swiches him between a meelee with beast stun to a ranged with a speed that pretty nice