Public Service announcement to those banned, especially for Verbal Abuse/Language:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LargeSnorlax

Senior Member

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustySniper View Post
I dont know its always been my opinion that a lot of these verbal abuse cases just seem well stupid to me. It reminds me of my cousins 6 year old who came home crying saying "this girl called me a poopy head". Seriously? Maybe when your 6 but being the age that most of us are you really shouldn't get offended unless its just blatant and over the top attacks against you. People are just being overly sensitive. If your going to cry every time someone messes or teases you in a game over the internet you are going to have a very rude awakening once real life strikes.
Ironically, the people who are tired of the abuse are actually the people who are FAR older than the ones raging like 6 year old children. It's people who have realized there's a lot more to life than constantly raging in an online video game, and just want to relax after a 50 hour workweek full of stress.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SimplyAlive

Senior Member

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustySniper View Post
I dont know its always been my opinion that a lot of these verbal abuse cases just seem well stupid to me. It reminds me of my cousins 6 year old who came home crying saying "this girl called me a poopy head". Seriously? Maybe when your 6 but being the age that most of us are you really shouldn't get offended unless its just blatant and over the top attacks against you. People are just being overly sensitive. If your going to cry every time someone messes or teases you in a game over the internet you are going to have a very rude awakening once real life strikes.
Reporting=/=crying.

I like how players often try to make that comparison. I report players if they violate the rules enough to spoil the game for all parties involved. no crying involved, just an attempt to protect the playerbase from people who can not adjust to their setting.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LargeSnorlax

Senior Member

02-11-2013

Just thought I'd keep this going - Still lots of people posting verbal abuse and negative attitude cases - Maybe it can help a few of them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harate

Senior Member

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeSnorlax View Post
and just want to relax after a 50 hour workweek full of stress. :)
60 hours sometimes for me but I can totally relate to this. When I was 16 trash talking in online games was my niche. Felt good and I enjoyed the effect it had on my likability with other bullies. I felt I needed to defend my dignity anytime someone trash talked me. Needed to beat them and have the last word.

Ten years later I look back and can't believe how much time i wasted getting angry and how literally none of it was worth it. I watch people go nuts in this game and I'm in awe of how petty, childish, and pointless it all really is.

I can almost understand why the banned are confused and want people to have thicker skin. Telling someone to kill them self is the staple of an Xbox argument. If I said it to someone and they started crying and said I really hurt their feelings I would be like "wait...what? Sorry ;___;"

Riot is blazing a trail and shifting the thought process on what is and isn't acceptable. And none of it seems unreasonable. If other devs take part then the issue wouldn't be a lack of maturity causing toxicity, the focus would shift to reforming a generation of gamers brought up on a foundation of trash talking.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LargeSnorlax

Senior Member

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harate View Post
60 hours sometimes for me but I can totally relate to this. When I was 16 trash talking in online games was my niche. Felt good and I enjoyed the effect it had on my likability with other bullies. I felt I needed to defend my dignity anytime someone trash talked me. Needed to beat them and have the last word.

Ten years later I look back and can't believe how much time i wasted getting angry and how literally none of it was worth it. I watch people go nuts in this game and I'm in awe of how petty, childish, and pointless it all really is.

I can almost understand why the banned are confused and want people to have thicker skin. Telling someone to kill them self is the staple of an Xbox argument. If I said it to someone and they started crying and said I really hurt their feelings I would be like "wait...what? Sorry ;___;"

Riot is blazing a trail and shifting the thought process on what is and isn't acceptable. And none of it seems unreasonable. If other devs take part then the issue wouldn't be a lack of maturity causing toxicity, the focus would shift to reforming a generation of gamers brought up on a foundation of trash talking.
I think a bigger problem is people don't realize the effect TOO MUCH trash talking and harassing their teammates actually has on the game.

Look, I'm the first to admit - I'm not the most model of perfect players. I play a lot of ranked, and I'm not a quiet person in games - I'm not a person who'll stay silent all game and silently report players at the end. When I play games, they're to be competitive and fun at the same time, ranked goes doubly so. This leads sometimes to some talking back and forth and trying to make people understand what needs to be done. I think I am living proof that being a competitive player who knows when and where to talk to the other team and his teammates can be a person who is also never going to the tribunal or facing a ban.

I'm sure a lot of this competitive spirit is channeled sometimes by angry players into meaningless reports - I fall into the 1-5% reported ratio I'm sure, I would honestly say I trend a little towards the higher side of it simply because I'm a vocal player and I want to make my team win the game - Sometimes you need to talk about things to do that. It's just a part of how I play, and it won't affect me or get me a tribunal case, so I judge that to be fine.

At the same time, a bit of jawing in my mind is acceptable as well - I'll give a great example from yesterday, me and my friend were playing a ranked game and it was a tough match - The enemy mid was 3/0/2 and the score was dead even, and he kept trash talking in all chat - So we made some plays and we killed him a couple times and gave a little back to him, and that got him rattled - He started making mistakes and then gave up on his team because obviously he has an ego problem and dying caused him to start yelling at his team.

However, most people don't know what acceptable levels of this are. They don't know that typing out 5 paragraphs to me while they're trying to participate in a kill will make them play badly, or that trash talking for 15 minutes straight in all chat is going to make them miss cs or not play to the level they should be playing at. Another example from yesterday - An ezreal was SO worried that I got a kill on a gank as the jungler that he walked into the support we were trying to kill (literally) while he typed and DIED to the support instead of getting a kill for it. He didn't even get an assist for the eventual kill I got because he was too busy typing out how I "ksed" him that he forgot how to play the game. Then, he typed he was "done" and proceeded to troll the rest of the game, everyone reported him. That's the kind of player that ends up in the tribunal.

People just need to learn - A bit of smack is ok. A bit of getting frustrated is ok. Even sometimes, calling your teammate out on a really bad play is ok. Just don't keep crossing the line where it becomes harassment, and don't keep going until it becomes verbal abuse. Everything in moderation.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daemoj

Member

02-11-2013

The tribunal needs to loosen up. If I penta kill a team and I laugh... They are gonna report me. Will I get banned? Most likely cause I might have hurt someones little feelings by being way better than they are. Tribunal is a joke. Always will be as long as other people decide the fate of players. How does banning someone fix anything? They are just gonna make a new account and keep doing the same thing. It's a damn game. I have to be nice and polite to people all day long at work. When I get off I want to come home and release my frustrations. How you ask? By killing people that suck at LoL and laughing at them. That's my realease. I don't need to be lvl 30 to do that... SO ban away.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harate

Senior Member

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemoj View Post
The tribunal needs to loosen up. If I penta kill a team and I laugh... They are gonna report me. Will I get banned? Most likely cause I might have hurt someones little feelings by being way better than they are. Tribunal is a joke. Always will be as long as other people decide the fate of players. How does banning someone fix anything? They are just gonna make a new account and keep doing the same thing. It's a damn game. I have to be nice and polite to people all day long at work. When I get off I want to come home and release my frustrations. How you ask? By killing people that suck at LoL and laughing at them. That's my realease. I don't need to be lvl 30 to do that... SO ban away.
Some day you'll realize that there are other ways of gaining happiness and satisfaction without causing misery for others. There are other ways to release frustration. It may not be anytime soon (took me 10 years) but hopefully you can figure out that teamwork and complimenting others and giving advice can be fun too.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xianio

Senior Member

02-11-2013

Quote:
By killing people that suck at LoL and laughing at them.
That sucks man. If your job makes it so that the only way that you can vent frustration is to attack other people who have done absolutely nothing wrong perhaps its time to look into a new job, or to seek therapy.

It's not normal to need to belittle others to feel good about yourself.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LargeSnorlax

Senior Member

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemoj View Post
The tribunal needs to loosen up. If I penta kill a team and I laugh... They are gonna report me. Will I get banned? Most likely cause I might have hurt someones little feelings by being way better than they are. Tribunal is a joke. Always will be as long as other people decide the fate of players. How does banning someone fix anything? They are just gonna make a new account and keep doing the same thing. It's a damn game. I have to be nice and polite to people all day long at work. When I get off I want to come home and release my frustrations. How you ask? By killing people that suck at LoL and laughing at them. That's my realease. I don't need to be lvl 30 to do that... SO ban away.
Daemoj,

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ghlight=daemoj

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about - Look at your card.

#1 - You spend all game harassing your teammates and die 19 times. The first thing you do in the game is call your bottom lane feeders. If you had spent less time in this game harassing your team, you probably could've won it because you would've been playing properly. Instead, it ended up as a frustrating 60 loss.

#2 - You again play poorly and blame your jungler and team. Your team ends up winning despite your constant belittling and they end up reporting you - And rightfully so. Again, this game is a 42 minute win and would've been much easier if you spent more of it playing properly instead of yelling at your teammates.

#3 - Once again, you play poorly - In this case, it looks like you're just trolling around with Karma. Nothing really reportable here though, although your teammates don't really like you doing nothing and feeding. Attitude isn't a problem on this game.

#4 - No big problems here - Except you call your team **** when things go rough.

#5 - Aside from telling your teammates you're going to mute them at the beginning of the game, there isn't much wrong here.

THIS is the kind of thing I'm talking about in the original post. If I saw games 3, 4 and 5 in order, I'd be WANTING to pardon your case, just like most tribunalgoers. A bit of negative attitude and bad play, but nothing much there.

Then, you see games 1 and 2, where there's a punish waiting no matter what. If you kept your chat the same as all the other games.. there would be no punish.

I'm sure getting banned is frustrating to you, but what frustrates ME as a user of the tribunal is cases like yours. Believe me, I end up going in with every intent to pardon a person, but the games that don't let me do that leave a sour taste in my mouth.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RossumEcho

Senior Member

02-11-2013

bump

I see a lot of this =/