Cho'Gath 2v1 lanes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tipsy Teacup

02-07-2013

So I really like Cho'Gath (Ideally trying to main cho, hecarim or akali) and from what I understand he is supposed to be one of the better 2v1 laners, however I am pretty useless at doing a 2v1 lane with him (can only seem to pull it off with Jayce but trying to branch out).

I find that early on I go oom really quickly, get pushed back to my tower fairly early on and then poked down and I have to either recall early or die and am generally unable to get even remotely respectable CS numbers.

I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice to improve my early game with him or maybe link me a s3 video of a 2v1 cho gath lane so I have something to copy (did search unsuccessfully for recent videos of it).

I'm currently lvl 8, with 8 points in offense (CDR + AP) and usually start with a flask + pots or boots + bots and try to get rod of ages as quickly as possible. I start off with Q and try to get a point in all abilities at 3 and work towards maxing W first after that. On a side note I do blind picks so I don't know what the enemy is taking until the load screen. Appreciate any help I can get, thank you.

Nomi Barom

02-07-2013

try starting off with a dorans ring if your good with last hitting, even building two can help alot with mana. solo top cho'gath is one of the best farmers in the game. this will give you 10-15+ mana per minion slain. Generally, Q is better however if you have trouble landing it on the enemies, only put one level in it and max your W first. Damage dosn't matter if you can't hit and W is a lot easier to aim, and it makes your control (silence) stronger. take 1-2 points in your E if you have trouble last hitting and your pretty comfortable.

Once your in a 2v1 situation maintaining your mana is very important. the more you can harass, the easier it is for your jungler to gank. always save enough mana for 1 rupture. if your pushed to turret, your rupture+ jungler will be a very easy kill, or they will allow you to B to base and buy tanky items (glacial shroud is a great starter items). Don't replace the doran's ring(s) until late game.

building doran's is very cost effective but hurts your late game a bit because they don't build into anything else, but once your past the crunch you will out level and out CS 2v1 with ease. your Q and W allows you to hurt hard without taking damage, use this to your advantage

Tipsy Teacup

02-07-2013

Will give the Rings a try though I have never been a great last hitter. Would the 2 points in minion damage be worth it or will it just be polishing the turd that is my last hitting skills?

Nomi Barom

02-08-2013

generally getting it at lvl 1 is overkill, but by all means select it for level 2, you'll see a huge diffrence. generally I do Q-> E -> W W W R W W ect then max Q (if harrass is important) or E (if clearing is important)

Ill Darkistino

02-08-2013

Lol, I almost always take my E at level 1. The rumors are right, Chogath is one of the best 2v1 laners. A good trick is to watch when one of your minions is low health, as one of the enemies is sure to try and kill it. You can drop rupture on them and give them the choice of taking the minion and getting hit, or losing CS.

Tipsy Teacup

02-08-2013

Ah will give E first a try, I had been taking the Q or W first for harrasment / escape purposes. Do any of the different skins change ability / hit times(ie faster animations) or is it universal for all the skins?

Skyhawke

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy Teacup View Post
Will give the Rings a try though I have never been a great last hitter. Would the 2 points in minion damage be worth it or will it just be polishing the turd that is my last hitting skills?
The extra minion damage is well worth it, in my opinion.

The reason Cho is good in a 2v1 lane is because he's fairly tanky, has some sustain, and has some good tools for getting lasthits at the tower. I'm not a Cho main by any stretch, but I think it's his E passive that is so good for clearing under tower. I'm sure it takes a lot of practice though.

In general, if you are the "1" in a 2v1 lane your main goals should be to survive and farm as much as you possibly can in the early game. As long as you don't feed and grab some CS, your team is gaining an advantage overall because the other team is gimping their farm and their experience in the 2v1 lane.

EDIT: There shouldn't be any changes in attack or spell animation speed, as far as I know. That would cause too much chaos xD

Mekeji

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy Teacup View Post
Ah will give E first a try, I had been taking the Q or W first for harrasment / escape purposes. Do any of the different skins change ability / hit times(ie faster animations) or is it universal for all the skins?
The animations are the same speed on all skins. However with the Gentleman Cho'Gath skin you gain a +9001 buff to your classiness meter.

Im S0fa King

Senior Recruiter

02-08-2013

While the animations are the same speed for all skins, some make skills more or less easy to predict. For example, when classic skinned Ezreal uses skillshots or his ult, he pulls out a bow. When Pulsefire Ezreal does either... he holds his arm out... which he also does for auto-attacking.

Ill Darkistino

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im S0fa King View Post
While the animations are the same speed for all skins, some make skills more or less easy to predict. For example, when classic skinned Ezreal uses skillshots or his ult, he pulls out a bow. When Pulsefire Ezreal does either... he holds his arm out... which he also does for auto-attacking.
Although the only skill that needs to really be dodged from Cho'gath is Rupture, which is denoted by a large red/green circle, making the animation different minimal.