Should I give up?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ramenjunkie

02-10-2013

I am in no way trying to be offensive but it sounds to me like you lack understanding of your own champions that you play and the enemy champions. I can't see how you play or any of your past games to really give you concrete feedback but going off your post, you need to go back to practicing your basics if you fail that many gank attempts and are consistently losing lanes. Try setting up a few 1v1 matches with a friend and have him give you feedback.
Getting ganked in the jungle is not always a result you not having wards. You need map awareness, it may not be such a good idea to wander off in the jungle if say 2 or more enemy champions aren't visible on the minimap. Also remember that this is a team game, there have been many matches in which I am losing a lane and down by 40-50 cs, but I ask for help from the jungler and through good team play (and successful ganks) I am able to turn it around and at least catch up on farm.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2013

You quit for weeks at a time and come back expect to be good? I think I found your problem...

SoupOrJuice

02-10-2013

At the very least I expect to win more than 1 in 5 games, yes. I take breaks because I get frustrated with the game. Takes a week or two for that frustration to subside, then I try again and it comes back after the first 1-3 games...

Also, I probably DO lack an understanding of my own champions and the ones that my opponents play. However, I see no way to get better because A) Bot games do nothing to help train for facing a human opponent and B) most of my friends aren't really willing to help/don't know how to help, either. I've asked them and they all say that I AM good, but I mean, how can I be with my track record thus far and the facts laid out as they are.

Also, I do have decent map awareness. I rarely get ganked by anyone but the jungler, but in maybe 60% of my games the enemy jungler ganks me every minute or so, effectively camping my lane and shutting me down. I could play passive, but at the point where I would decide to do so I'm already down 2-3 kills and 40-60 cs, which means they can easily kill me regardless of if I'm at my tower or in my jungle.

And I would ask the jungler for help but it's usually around this time that he/she starts to rage at me, and swears me off as a lost cause leaving me to my own devices (which leads to more deaths)...Like I said, no idea what to do at this point.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2013

Maybe try a switch to support and jungle. Solo lanes aren't my stong suit either, and I find jungle and support let me focus moreso on the map and objective control, and less on CSing and laning concerns(though they are still a factor when you cover lanes/support a carry in lane).

SoupOrJuice

02-10-2013

I guess so. I just don't know, because the few times I've played support and jungle a few things happen. When I support, either my ADC is really bad and just suicides, is really good and carries without me doing anything, or I just fail my job and let the ADC die. Don't think I've had a support game where I was the reason the lane was won.

And with jungle, I fall so far behind when I'm in the jungle that when I try to gank at level 4 everyone else is level 6 and I just feed a kill...no clue how to gank or how to catch back up as jungler, I'm constantly underleveled as jungler (and support for that matter), making me basically useless for the same reason I'm useless when I'm behind in gold as a solo lane.

But I can try more, I guess. Still no clue how to jungle or gank, though, because every time I go to gank the lane they have wards up and just run away before I even get close...happens 7/10 times. 2/10 I die because I'm behind. 1/10 we get a kill. But I'm not going to be able to gank 10 times in a game before laning phase ends so it ends up that I rarely get a kill, and if I do it's only one kill for the lane. Basically just relying on the lanes to carry me at that point.

And I guess it's worth noting that to me, support is the most boring and passive role in the game. You just sit in the bush, pop out and harass, pop back in, wait for CDs to come back up, do it again. And sometimes you're not even able to harass because that would be overextending, so I just end up sitting in the bush twiddling my thumbs, watching my ADC botch his last hitting :/

Sereg Anfaug

02-10-2013

You're playing support all wrong if you think it's boring. You have lots of responsibilities - warding, harassing, zoning, setting up good engagements, peeling bad ones, watching the minimap for all lanes(yes, all the lanes, not just yours - you should be pinging every mia, every appearance of the enemy jungler, every enemy ward you see go down, and typing enough to clarify the ping), holding and last hitting/wave clearing the lane when your adc backs(as needed depening on how hard enemy minions are pushing).

And that's just the laning phase - you're responsible for so much more as the game progresses. You need to be building and properly applying active and aura items, roaming and warding/wardclearing as needed, helping your jungler control objectives, engaging, disengaging, and supporting teamfights, and just generally being a very important part of mid/lategame.

As far as jungling, that comes with experience - play it more often, and more importantly, study the pros in tournaments and LCS, and learn from their builds, routes, and tactics in ganks.

dj78x

02-10-2013

thats how i feel now. i lost 3 games in a row with garen on 3's. The third game i kind of just gave up. Its just so annoying. I duno, just take some time off game maybe.

Galkrith

02-10-2013

Try playing some co-op vs A1 matches to sharpen your skills and meet potential friends to play with, you're more likely to get the role and lane you want if you're playing with people that know your best role and lane

SeCKS Egai

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupOrJuice View Post
At the very least I expect to win more than 1 in 5 games, yes. I take breaks because I get frustrated with the game. Takes a week or two for that frustration to subside, then I try again and it comes back after the first 1-3 games...

Also, I probably DO lack an understanding of my own champions and the ones that my opponents play. However, I see no way to get better because A) Bot games do nothing to help train for facing a human opponent
Facing a human opponent is less likely the issue. I can do pretty well as the adc, but my farm is far from diamond level status, so even solo custom games against the AI can offer solid practice last hitting.

Also, we do get a decent variety of champions you can throw in bot lane in customs. They won't be anywhere near human capability, but neither will your support. You can work on your laning tactics and map awareness just the same. I still find myself dying on occasion against even Easy AI for being overly aggressive when it wasn't justified. That's something I won't notice in a norm game, but definitely take not of against Ai.

C4KE

02-11-2013

Maybe I could play a few games with you, it might help you get out of a losing, though I am no pro.